Where can I buy a horse in Belize?

I am moving to Placencia to live. 

Is there a reliable place in Belize from which I can buy one, possibly two, English-trained horses? 

I am looking for 16H or a bit taller, well-schooled, vet checked, good temperament, with some jumping ability for personal pleasure.  All referrals are welcome. 

I've checked some of the ads on the Expat.coms but the horses either don't exist or are in the US and I'd rather not ship a horse into Belize if it is not necessary. 

Thank you.

I think the best way to find a horse in belize might be to cultivate the racing fraternity ,  particularly if you want to avoid western.   had a great day out at burrell boom boxing day last year. absolutely unlike any thing I have ever experienced, but great fun.   there were several very good confirmation horses about 16-00, nothing much bigger.. bring horses into belize could have many problems , local animals will be salted against  local virus's and infections.
      I have a lifetimes experience of showjumping(including international)  and some successful experience showing in hand, and breeding warmbloods on ex race horse mares.   happy to help your search if I can.

check out the people with horses in the Cayo district.   Also for this unusual interest (unusual for Belize), I would check in with the American Embassy.   The owners of the horses you want will be expats most likely.  best luck

Many thanks for your helpful response, Mr. Belize Boy.
I agree, bringing a horse into the country from elsewhere makes no sense and may possibly compromise the animal's health.
I very much appreciate your willingness to share your vast experence and perhaps you will be able to make other suggestions once I find the right horse or horses. 
Altho' I have owned horses in the past and I have done some jumping, cross country, begining dressage and driving, I was never spectacular in any area, it is all for my pleasure only.
Please feel free to contact me if you can think of anything else or if you stumble across a good horse.
With warm regards.

Thank you very much, Mz. California,
Checking with the Embassy is an excellent idea, and of course looking in the Cayo district. 
I very much appreciate your help and I will follow-up on your suggestions.

thank you for your response to my post. "vast" makes me nervous, one thing is sure, the more one learns, the more the realization dawns, there is a lot still to learn. but i am an expert on mistakes-- i have made most of them. your post of march 3rd, says you are moving to placencia,
do you have a date.??    i am building near hopkins,    i can be contacted any time by email on [email protected].   perhaps other newcomers share our interest.

Thank you again, I am moving in August but hope to make another trip next month or so to prepare for the move -- and look at horses.  I will contact you by email.  Have a lovely evening.

Another good contact is the owner of the Banana Bank Lodge up in Cayo.  He has a herd of western horses and breeds them as well.   We are planning to bring down at least 3 horses for western pleasure as well - there are options for air and sea and we will have plenty of land.  Not easy or cheap, but better than some of the breeds we have seen in many years of traveling the country.   We have heard of some that have driven their horses through Mexico - that would be an insane accomplishment, ripe with peril for driver and horses.  Good luck and where in Belize do you plan to live?  Horse folks should stay in touch ; )

We spent a little time with the owner of Banana Bank this past fall. He will occasionally sell some horses, but not in general. He probably could facilitate getting a particular horse, or horses, into Belize though. We also plan to buy a few horses after we relocate. Our property is about 20 mi N of the Coastal Rd. on the HH.

Sweet!  we will be practically neighbors.  Our property is mile markers 19 and 20 on the coastal - just a few miles N of the Gales Point turnoff.  Keep us in the loop with your "horsing" around ; ).  I think there is a way to PM via this post - not sure however.  When do you plan to move?  Are you building/clearing land?  How man acres?
We have 65 acres - all on the Coastal Rd.  2 year-'round creeks and even a fresh water spring coming right out of the limestone cliffs.  We just cleared the land and house site.  Fencing, driveways, vehicle bridge over creek all underway.  pasture grasses being planted after 1st rains in late May or early June.  We plan to get back down late June of early July.
Jeff and Nicole Robertson
Atlanta, GA

jvr1330 wrote:

... I think there is a way to PM via this post - not sure however....

jvr1330;
If you click on a persons profile picture/icon you will be brought to an area where you can request to be added to a persons contact list or send them a private message.

I Hope this helps.

I own property at sanctuary  a short drive from your location. They have a small stable of horses and owners  will be bringing horses to the community maybe they could to guid you

You may be able to purchase a horse here: http://www.cayocattle.com/quarter-horses
They list quarter horses for sale. If you are looking for a warm-blood or thoroughbred, I know they are in Belize, but not sure where you could purchase one. You might need to actually go to a horse race in Belize to meet some contacts. There is one about mid-month, every month. Go to www.horseracingbelize.com
We will probably be buying a couple of quarter horses just for pleasure riding on our property.
Hope that helps guide you.