Bringing one's pet, is there a significant cost involved?

Hi,

I have a question. It entails bringing my dog to Belize. He is a 3 year old German Shepherd. I will probably fly him here from my home in Florida after I find a rental property there. How difficult is it to bring one's pets. And is there a significant cost involved?   Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Since your question was off-topic on the other thread, this new thread has been created for you on the Belize forum.

Till members provide you with their feedback, you may check the following threads :

- Bringing pets into Belize.

- traveling to belize with dog

These websites will also be useful to you :
- http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/belize.cfm

- http://www.baha.org.bz/

All the best
Bhavna

I don't know that you can fly your dog , thats something you need to check. to enter Belize your pet requires a vet letter and  BAHA requires that you send a form back to them prior to entry.
This has also been covered previously and a specific contact was given to contact BAHA.

Jeff (k92385);
Yes you can bring your pets to Belize. Here is a link to a post on our experience bringing our dog by plane (overland is more complicated). A German Sheppard would not be permitted in cabin but United for sure has a PetSafe Program to fly pets in cargo. You will need an import permit from the Belize Agricultural and Health Authority (BAHA), which can be obtained online, and medical certificate from a registered Vet and required immunizations for both BAHA and the airline.

Hope this link helps, if you have additional question please feel free to contact me
http://bit.ly/1PL4DHr

My Dobermann was too big for United's aircraft as cargo. Therefore I drove with her from Dallas Tx. I had all the same paperwork just as if I was flying in (I flew in with our Vizslas). Crossing the border into Mexico was a non-issue as far as the dog. I had rebooked dog friendly hotels for the two night I would spend in Mexico. At the Belize border I just brought the dog in with me, showed the paperwork paid the examination fee and we were off again. Just as easy as at the airport.

Go to the United Airlines web site and then search for PetSafe. They will have the measurements for the kennel based on he dog. Our Dobermann needed a Giant Kennel, which is too big for the 737s that fly into Belize. Measure up your dog and then call PetSafe. Good people to work with.

Hi  we r thinking of retiring in about3 yrs after military life and have a 6 yr old cat now  Is there a quarantine time when cat arrives in Belize on plane with us?

Ncartwright wrote:

Hi  we r thinking of retiring in about3 yrs after military life and have a 6 yr old cat now  Is there a quarantine time when cat arrives in Belize on plane with us?

Hi Ncartwrite.
I just brought my dog into Belize a couple weeks ago and there was no quarantine for our dog. In fact I don't think they even looked her over. From what I've gathered, they don't typically quarantine pets unless they are coming from certain countries in South America that higher frequencies of diseases in pets.

Below is a link to BAHA which outlines their requirements. I found that the team was very responsive when I submitted my application and in answering questions. They approved my application within 5 business days. You should confirm with the BAHA representative your arrival information 2 days prior to your arrival. Once I arrived in Belize and cleared the first line of customs I then rolled my dog (in her crate) to the next inspection line. This was the line on the furthest left assuming you are coming into the international airport. The BAHA inspector then had me sit in their office while he reviewed my vet certificate. I brought copies of the application, vet certificate and additional details on her vaccinations. After a nice chat with the BAHA representative about places in the country that he's worked and a solid recommendation on a great Laminai tour operator, he collected my $25 USD for the application fee and an additional $10 in misc. fees. Customs didn't charge me any additional fees which he said was quite unusual so I must of caught them on a good day.  :)   Also, note that the representative at the airport told me that they have a "Pet Passport" that is good for 1 year that costs $50 USD. So if you plan on bringing your pet into the country more frequently or perhaps taking a quick trip to Mexico with your cat it can greatly reduce the fees and paperwork since you won't need to go through the application process for each trip.

You've probably already researched but check the requirements of your airline. I found that I had more hoops to jump through for the airline than I did with BAHA. But I also had a dog that had to go as a checked bag.

http://www.baha.org.bz/index.php/dept/a … quirements

Thank you!!  That's a big help.   We r not sure if we r going to bring our cat or not depending if she is still around by then but the info is good to know.