Dog tongues

Having all my well laid plans for my trip to Belize ruined by taking a person a face value. We were left with the need for accomodations for my son. I got a great off season deal from a Local friend of a friend for the next 2 months. Where he is the owners dog has taken to My son (feeling is mutual) My question is apart from Poodles what other breeds have the dark purple to Black tongue. This little doG has the that colour tongue but looks like a corgi crossed with a german shephard for size (small) and appearance like a mini Shepard with corgi ears cute, No visual clue as to why he has a poodle tongue. I am sure someone will know.

Any breed can have a tongue with dark pigment that ranges from blue to black in color, however there are some breeds that are more prone to it. Some have tongues that are entirely black with little to no pink and some have varying degrees of spots and patches. The blue/black on a dog's tongue are areas containing extra pigment. It is like a freckle or a birthmark on a person. Dogs can have these same spots on their skin, which are often covered by their coat.

Airedale, Akita, Alaskan Malamute, Australian Cattle Dog, Australian Shepherd, Belgian Malinois, Belgian Sheepdog, Belgian Teruren, Bichon Frise, Black Russian Terrier, Bouvier de Flandres, Bull Mastiff, Cairn Terrier, Chinese Shar-Pei, Chow Chow, Cocker Spaniel, Collie, Dalmatian, Doberman Pnscher, ENglish Setter, Eurasier, Fila Brasileiro, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever and the list goes on that often have a black tonque.

So as you can see not a good indicator of a specific breed.

Well we are talking a Belize dog so I think its lineage is probably not really traceable. It is a cute and friendly dog, and that really nice size slightly bigger than a corgi, and it has decided my son can be his temporary friend while he stays there.

Terrific, you are exactly right. Really who cares about the lineage. If the dog is friendly and meets your desires then those are the most important characteristics. I too though always try to figure out what bred a dog might have in it.

A Belize dog is often short on groceries.  lots of high protein snacks, like boneless chicken or fried eggs are very popular and are a great kindness.   many of the dogs here have shepard and doberman genes, a few labs and many small Chi crosses which locals call pot licker dogs.   I have seen a few that may have some Corgi genes.   the British lived here for many years and I expect some brought their dogs.