Safety for tourists in Tunisia

Dear Expat.com Community,

we are Germans considering to spend 6 months (October - March) in Tunisia. We are a bit worried about safety issues: is Tunisia a safe place to go these days or do we have to expect to be robbed or mugged? We will be driving around in our own car, a upper class/luxury car - do you consider this safe or risky?

Looking forward to your answers, Sabine

hey sabine !
tunisia is totaly safe for you as a tourist but not for your luxury expencive car hehe ! they wont steel it but u will not like tunisian driving style . priority is always for who go faster and who has the older car haha .  ofcourse im abusing now but its little bit true ;)

Hi Sabine,

I come from Denmark, and I have been in Tunis, Tunisia now for about 2 months and I feel okay safe when walking around the streets, although i've experienced several attempts from pick pockers trying to get my money. Just take notice that this is not Germany, and you must be extra aware when walking around, especially on the big markets. But Im sure you will do fine here, and i don't see any reason why you shouldnt come here and have a great time :-)

yes very true alexander. i agree and confirm  about u must be twice awake in the busy places and market and always always keep an eye on your walet and hand bag and always keep them in front of you not behind or under your arm ;)
greatings