Car insurance for expats

Can you get car insurance with a us drivers license

Yes you can; however, whether the insurance company will pay out for a claim is questionable. What good is the insurance if all claims are denied?

so is insurance then not required?

Insurance is required by law.  They may not pay out if the license of the driver is invalid.  Same thing can happen if the driver is intoxicated.  Or if used while robbing a bank. 

Yes you can; however, whether the insurance company will pay out for a claim is questionable. What good is the insurance if all claims are denied?        -@RockyM

To clarify, what I meant is you can get auto insurance with a US license, but whether the insurance pays out if you do not have a Domincan driver license is a question. Probably not. They will look for any reason at all to not pay on a claim.

Valid for 30 days on the tourist visa...... or extend if you need/want more

Out of status ??

No pay

@planner, as a former insurance broker in the United States first, let me state I understand this is a Dominican Republic and their laws and regulations are sovereign. That being said understand the policy read it, understand the exclusions if your license is no longer valid or if you're drunk or if it's the commission of a crime, it's on you to understand when your coverage attaches and when it does not. I have friends in country that are ex-pats. I'm thinking specifically of ones from Canada that have been involved in automobile accidents and the insurance companies paid exactly according to the policy terms and guidelines, for example the commission of a crime and your vehicles involved , it's not that cut and clear if you're the owner and committing the crime coverage would not typically attach, but if your vehicle is stolen and used in the commission of a crime, then coverage would attach to the vehicles owner as they were innocent in the situation. Insurance companies are in business to make a profit and mitigate their risk , I have been on the inside and I can tell you they don't wake up in the morning saying let's see how we can screw over our policy holders and if you were wondering why because it's simply not good business.

I would be willing to bet a lot of my thought process here is applicable in the Dominican republic that being said, speak with a broker who represents a credible insurance company make sure your paperwork is in order and you understand the policy and I'd be willing to bet the policy will perform when needed I know this is long but I hope it helps. Planner you are a treasure to this group. Thank you for all that you do.

I was speaking more about the OWNER and DRIVER breaking the law, not someone else stealing the vehicle.

The point was  if you are illegal then you  take your risks! Period. I personally know of  2 cases where expats had ZERO coverage.  Both were minor accidents thank goodness.   I also know of one other case where the coverage was in force and maybe should not have been.

Each company is different.  What tends to happen is  something goes wrong and expats start screaming about what a horrible company /  the people /  the law / country  this is!   Fore warned and all of that.

Personally I think its more than this, if you are legally here and hold a valid drivers license and a visa, you are taking a chance driving, period.  Insurance should be valid but you never know.   The people here drive like they own the road, especially the motorcycles and the large SUV's. They do not obey laws and they might not even know the laws.  They act entitled, and go through stop signs and come out of side streets onto major roads even though you are coming and you have the right of way. 

Despite this, I drive, cautiously and aggressively within reason.  I buy insurance bc it makes me feel better. 

1f60e.svg

@rfmaurone

Hi, how are you today? 

Did you know about the car insurance here that keeps you out of jail if you are in a serious accident (even if you are not at fault)?

I am not sure if it only applies to those in Santo Domingo or also us here on the east coast or north coast or anywhere other than SD.   I have not looked into it but when I ask, most people do not know about it.

Casa de Conductor.......... puts you in a hotel

SD and STI.... as far as I know........not everywhere

Good morning all.

What (non-rental) auto insurance companies would you recommend ?

Get quotes from a broker and compare options.  But, I do not recommend Mapfre on vehicle insurance.