Permanent Residency

I am seeking Permanent Residency through marriage to my Brazilian wife.  I completed all the necessary documents while living in Los Angeles.  Next step is to finish the process in Brazil.  What are the remaining processes in Brazil?  Do both spouces need to be in Brazil to finish the process?

10/21/23    I am seeking Permanent Residency through marriage to my Brazilian wife.  I completed all the necessary documents while living in Los Angeles.  Next step is to finish the process in Brazil.  What are the remaining processes in Brazil?  Do both spouces need to be in Brazil to finish the process?

-@MovieGuy

Welcome, MovieGuy!  If you have your VITEM XI visa, then you'll need to register with the Federal Police and request your CRNM, your Migrant ID Card.  You'll want to do this ASAP after your arrival, and certainly no later than 90 days after arrival.  In most cities in Brazil you will have to make an appointment online through registering on the MigranteWeb system:

https://www.gov.br/mj/pt-br/assuntos/se … igranteweb

The Federal Police will expect your Brazilian spouse to be with you when you go to your appointment, and the process may be much more difficult if she is not, if they are willing to process you at all.

With your wife present, the Federal Police may be willing to process your application based on your VITEM XI visa and the form you received from the Consulate in Los Angeles alone.  However, the FP can demand to inspect any of the documents that you presented to the Consulate General, so you should have them with you to present if requested.

If you have further questions, feel free.  Best of luck to you!

@MovieGuy Listen to @abthree, I am just a little anxious because the lawyers I hired for my Permanent Residency Visa by Spouse have been "working" on it since May and it is now October. Apparently "updates" does not translate, so three weeks ago they said our Marriage Certificate (translated and apostled ) had been rejected, so we sent them the originals by mail and copies by email / fax. So far there has been no word of if they have even received them. 1f620.svg

That being said, if you are still in the USA. You should get your FBI Background Check and Fingerprints done before you leave. The FBI is a domestic organization and so it has to be done in the USA.

Good Luck!

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

10/22/23 I am just a little anxious because the lawyers I hired for my Permanent Residency Visa by Spouse have been "working" on it since May and it is now October. Apparently "updates" does not translate, so three weeks ago they said our Marriage Certificate (translated and apostled ) had been rejected, so we sent them the originals by mail and copies by email / fax. So far there has been no word of if they have even received them. 1f620.svg

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

Wow -- this sure is taking a long time.  Hang in there.

I am Canadian, and I did mine in 2017 at the visa processing office at the airport in Rio. It was a painless process, and went smoothly. Everything was done by the next day.

So now, it's 2023, and you are American.

I'd go to the visa processing center in GRU and start there. Why ? Well, it's where the HIGHEST VOLUME of visa's are processed, which means, the PF officers know their stuff as compared to a small localized PF detachment where you may be  more of an administrative curiosity to them than one of 40 visa applicant's needing to be processed that day.

One caveat, procedures may have changed since 2017, but, you're at GRU anyways, so take advantage of it by inquiring.

@abthree Thanx, I did ask my wife to do a social media etc. check on the firm and she reported it was positive, so I will just wait.1f60e.svg