Anyone been hassled for not replacing CIE with CRNM?

Hi all.

I have CIE that doesn't expire (I'm over 60). I have not replaced it with the newer CRNM. I am not inclined to do so because I have applied for Brazilian citizenship and the card will be replaced with a citizen's ID when that is granted. I am aware that there is a technical requirement to replace the CIE, but I leave the country and return a few times a year and I have never been hassled at customs because of this. In fact, nobody has ever mentioned the fact that I still have a CIE rather than a CRNM. Same when conducting business at SACs in Bahia. Nobody seems to care.

I'm curious to know if anyone else in this position has ever been told they need to replace their CIE when presenting it.

Thanks.

@jonesio

I have an old RNE, like your CIE, and I have never had to replace it nor has anyone commented on it...

09/25/23    @jonesio
I have an old RNE, like your CIE, and I have never had to replace it nor has anyone commented on it...

-@Peter Itamaraca

There is no requirement to replace CIEs with indefinite validity.   There briefly was a rule to replace them nine years after original issue, but that rule was revoked.

In fact, the PF may not even collect yours when your naturalization is approved.   I still have mine, although it's just a souvenir now, with no legal significance.

There is no requirement to replace CIEs with indefinite validity.   There briefly was a rule to replace them nine years after original issue, but that rule was revoked.

-@abthree

I wasn't aware that rule was revoked. Do you happen to have a link to the decree or other measure by which it was revoked? Thanks.

It's the obligation of the RNM/RNE holder to surrender the card not PF after approval of Brazilian citizenship.

There is no requirement to replace CIEs with indefinite validity.   There briefly was a rule to replace them nine years after original issue, but that rule was revoked.    -
I wasn't aware that rule was revoked. Do you happen to have a link to the decree or other measure by which it was revoked? Thanks.
        -@jonesio

Yes. The rule appeared in Article 2 of this Portaria No. 8.728:

https://www.in.gov.br/materia/-/asset_p … 8-39937733

And Portaria No. 8728 was revoked in its entirety here, in Article 9 of Portaria No.  11.264:

https://www.in.gov.br/en/web/dou/-/port … -241103464

Thanks to our friend Kurterino for pointing this out to me.

@abthree Thank you very much. And thanks, as well, to others who replied.

@Nomad Mundo Thanks, but that's  not what I was asking. My question pertains to my CIE before citizenship is granted and whether I needed to exchange it for a CRNM.

@jonesio... This isn't for you in particular but for someone still having a CRNM/RNE card and has citizenship approval. Thanks Anyways..!!

@Peter Itamaraca

I've had my RNE for 15 years and have never had it questioned by anyone in all it's usage. TE PF , banks, borders, customs..it is never questioned. At 71 years young, I'm inclined to do nothing!

@MotoEspresso

100% agree!