Which docs must be apostillied for visa applications In Brazil

Hi. I am an American citizen apply for a retirement visa in Brazil. All my documents are ready to be presented, but I have questions about which have to be apostillized.

I have read that only official government documents must be apostilled, and that would include only my US birth certificate and FBI background check.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention

But other people told me that in Brazil all my signed application documents must be apostillized. Please let me know which one is correct. Thank you in advance.

09/15/23  But other people told me that in Brazil all my signed application documents must be apostillized. Please let me know which one is correct. Thank you in advance.

-@alevinthal

Good morning.  If you're talking about Brazilian documents, as I imagine you are when you say "application documents", then no:  only foreign documents to be recognized for legal effect in Brazil require apostilles.

If someone is telling you that your signature on your application documents needs to be "autenticada", or authenticated, this is a process similar to having a document notarized in the United States.  You take the document to a cartório (the one that already has your signature on file, if you've already used one) and sign the document in front of the tabelião,  S/he will make a note that your signature is genuine, affix a stamp and -- of course! -- charge you a nominal fee.

@abthree  I am talking about foreign documents. My US birth certificate and FBI background check must be apostilled but I don't believe my US bank statements or letters from previous US employers must be apostilled. How can I have this confirmed?

09/21/23  @abthree  I am talking about foreign documents. My US birth certificate and FBI background check must be apostilled but I don't believe my US bank statements or letters from previous US employers must be apostilled. How can I have this confirmed?       -@alevinthal

Non-governmental documents like your bank statements and employer letters should not require apostilles; I would certainly have Sworn Translations of them, though. I  would not ask them about apostilles, I would just give them the docs and the Translations.

The PF, however, can ask for anything they want.  If that happens, my first response would be to explain to them that the US authorities will not issue apostilles for Non-governmental documents.   If they still won't accept them, ask THEM how to solve the problem.   If the person you're talking to can't, then ask - very nicely - whether anyone else can help you.  They're trying to paper a file, so they'll probably find a way to make it work.

The last-ditch workaround would be either (1.) hire a lawyer to resubmit your application for you, or (2.) have the documents notarized in the US, then have them apostilled there.   The apostilles will only apply to the notarization, not to the underlying document, but the PF will see apostilles and probably be satisfied.

@abthree  hi. That is exactly my understanding. I have engaged to a broker (br-visa) and they insisted all docs must be apostilled and they are arranging it and charging me. It is very frustrating.

09/22/23 @alevinthal.  That's understandably  frustrating.  I expected that when you decided to try doing this without obtaining the visa first there would be some additional hurdles you'd have to overcome, but you're encountering even more than I anticipated.  You seem to be doing everything you can.  All you can do now is ride out the process.

As you approach your renewal date, it would be a good idea to time your home visits so that you can refresh your documents while you're in the US, and come back with fresh ones ready to go.