Members of the forum (to the moderator)

I see that there are loads of members of the forum but never ever contribute. Could there be a rule that after not even looking (or contributing) for a year they can be cancelled?

@cdw057

Hello,

Some members do not contribute to the forum as they are interested in other sections like posting classifieds, CV, housing, the services section. They don't particularly create accounts to participate on the forums. Some only read or exchange in private.

We are favourable at deleting very old threads that have little to no views but as far as deleting members' accounts I don't know. We'll have to look into the matter.

Regards

Bhavna

I see that there are loads of members of the forum but never ever contribute. Could there be a rule that after not even looking (or contributing) for a year they can be cancelled?

-@cdw057

Some people might just read and not say anything.   

Not everyone has the time or energy to contribute.

It's a shame but I guess that's life.

I see that there are loads of members of the forum but never ever contribute. Could there be a rule that after not even looking (or contributing) for a year they can be cancelled?        -@cdw057Some people might just read and not say anything.   Not everyone has the time or energy to contribute. It's a shame but I guess that's life.        -@fluffy2560

True but I too sometimes feel like I'm being watched and judged by my comments as a side show entertainment deal.

Like let's see what this silly women is going on about nce again.

Too many haters in the internet world.

If they have time to read they have time to say hit and give their 2 cents if they have something to say.

I never had an e-mail address or even looked online for years when I was super busy working.

My friend actually said she was tired of seeing an emoji of me so she put up an old photo on my FB page for me.

Not even a good photo but I'll never take it down. She did it out of love and has since passed away. It remeinds me of how thoughtful she was.

I know I sometimes get unsolicited invites once in awhile on here from perfect stragers who I can't recall ever have given their 2 cents in the past.

It creeps me out honestly.Strangers keeping tabs on us?

True but I too sometimes feel like I'm being watched and judged by my comments as a side show entertainment deal.
Like let's see what this silly women is going on about nce again.
Too many haters in the internet world.
If they have time to read they have time to say hit and give their 2 cents if they have something to say.
I never had an e-mail address or even looked online for years when I was super busy working.
My friend actually said she was tired of seeing an emoji of me so she put up an old photo on my FB page for me.
Not even a god photo but I'll never take it down. She did it out of love and has since passed away. It remeinds me of how thoughtful she was.
I know I sometimes get unsolisited invites once in awhile on here from perfect stragers who I can't recall ever have given their 2 cents in the past.
It creeps me out honestly.

-@Marilyn Tassy

I only communicate with 2 or 3 people here directly.  Obviously I post quite a lot.  But I don't watch TV.

One of my kids was complaining I'm on this forum too much. 

Unusual as they are glued to TikTok and Instagram and wot not. 

If I was on FB, they'd really have something to complain about.

You are being judged Marilyn.  We are all doing that to each other all the time.   

BTW, I'm still thinking of your book of memoirs coming out! 

True but I too sometimes feel like I'm being watched and judged by my comments as a side show entertainment deal.Like let's see what this silly women is going on about nce again.Too many haters in the internet world.If they have time to read they have time to say hit and give their 2 cents if they have something to say.I never had an e-mail address or even looked online for years when I was super busy working.My friend actually said she was tired of seeing an emoji of me so she put up an old photo on my FB page for me.Not even a god photo but I'll never take it down. She did it out of love and has since passed away. It remeinds me of how thoughtful she was.I know I sometimes get unsolisited invites once in awhile on here from perfect stragers who I can't recall ever have given their 2 cents in the past.It creeps me out honestly.        -@Marilyn Tassy

I only communicate with 2 or 3 people here directly.  Obviously I post quite a lot.  But I don't watch TV.

One of my kids was complaining I'm on this forum too much. 

Unusual as they are glued to TikTok and Instagram and wot not. 

If I was on FB, they'd really have something to complain about.

You are being judged Marilyn.  We are all doing that to each other all the time.   

BTW, I'm still thinking of your book of memoirs coming out! 

-@fluffy2560

I've met a few people from online in person.

Often they seem to have a different persona then their online personalities.

I think in person I'm much funnier and just as off beat as I am here.

I may or may not use differnent more complicated wording in person and not here but that's only because I'm too lazy to spell check!

My husband also says I spend too much time BSing online. All that while he is on tick-tok!

I don't watch tv either.

Evening we watch U tube but that's only because we are not longer ,"party animals" if we ever were.

In Vegas my husband is out all the time, usually sitting at the slots.

U tube is much cheaper then 3 card poker is!

I've met a few people from online in person.Often they seem to have a different persona then their online personalities.I think in person I'm much funnier and just as off beat as I am here.I may or may not use different more complicated wording in person and not here but that's only because I'm too lazy to spell check!My husband also says I spend too much time BSing online. All that while he is on tick-tok!I don't watch tv either.Evening we watch U tube but that's only because we are not longer ,"party animals" if we ever were.In Vegas my husband is out all the time, usually sitting at the slots.U tube is much cheaper then 3 card poker is!        -@Marilyn Tassy

I was also thinking about exactly how we are in real life and here.  I was weeding the garden at the time.

Mrs F and the kids say I'm reserved in Hungary and much quieter especially with people I don't know. But I cannot stop talking in the UK. I'll chat to anyone there.   Obviously it's a language issue.   

In any case, we all change over time.  Seven ages of man(kind) and all that.  We must be very different at 20 to being 60+.    I know I am different (thank god and hopefully for the better). 

The worst change in say the past 5 years is my memory.  I used to have a good memory but these days I'm not even sure if I can remember what happened this morning.    My SIL is planning to visit us but I was unsure if she'd been here before.   I should have remembered that properly. I thought she had but wasn't 100% sure.   Mrs F reminded me more - she's my mobile diary. 

It's like life before COVID has been forgotten.  Weird how that period was sort of blanked out. 

@fluffy2560 Reading is fine and good, but even that can be assessed. With tools nowadays one can see if somebody even looks (which is fine for me), but all these members who are not even looking (contributing is another matter).

For me NOT even looking for a year should mean deletion. (Even google and microsoft takes these views (I think it is good))

If I look at members in any case I would like to know it they looked (as a minimum) over the last year. The contributors are fine, very fine, Viewers is another matter, who looked last time, do they even know the forum existists. Of course I do not trust all, but a member not being active at all for a year (not even looking) should be deleted.

I hardly contact anybody (nobody so far personally), but if I would I would like to know if they have had a look over the last year (not too much to ask for a member I think(

Covid brain... try chemo brain!

I think what little brain cells I didn't destroy in my youth have now been bombarded for good!

Everyone's memory seems to go after 50.

Not that anything is wrong,it's just we have so many memories that we sometimes put them on the back burner and then, pow, they just pop up out of left field.

I took an I.Q. test a few years ago.

Did it really fast as I tend to get bored with questions.

Came out at 126. I never claimed to be book smart. The fact I've lived this long is a testament in itself.

No Einstien but maybe higher then average for an American raised on GMO foods.( over did the LSD and speed before age 17)

My husband took the same test and I know for sure he is allot more with it then I am but his score was only 125. I know it's because he took the test in English and not in Hungarian.

I personally think he is over 160 but that's just me.

My sister was tested at 145 formally.

The other is 131.

I guess with each child my mother's DNA got weaker!

I swear  my half sister can't be higher then 85! Total Gemini, some days she might be 200 and the next 85.

I figure if I remember to not put my clothing on backwards I'm good to go.

If I look at members in any case I would like to know it they looked (as a minimum) over the last year. The contributors are fine, very fine, Viewers is another matter, who looked last time, do they even know the forum exists. Of course I do not trust all, but a member not being active at all for a year (not even looking) should be deleted. I hardly contact anybody (nobody so far personally), but if I would I would like to know if they have had a look over the last year (not too much to ask for a member I think(        -@cdw057

Some DP (Data Protection) issues there.

I keep copies of everything and download all my e-mails onto my laptop. I vary rarely delete anything.  I just archive by compressing it and then back it up.  Storage is so cheap, there's not really any need to delete anything.  My only problem is having the time to index it all.

I've just been going through my Mum's disk drive.  She had many photos on there. I've archived them into an album I can share with the wider family.  Surprisingly, people do look at it.  One of my kids wants access to all family historical documents.  Luckily I've scanned and archived many of them so easy peasy!

I forwarded many family photos to my brother before he passed.

He never seemed to be into family stuff much but when his time was short he got comfort from old times and photos.

Our son doesn't seem overly interested in our many, many suitcases full of photos.

Most of them are of him, little brat.

We now realize they probably will all be tossed in the trash when we move on.

I used to wonder why wedding photos of strangers were for sale at yard sales.

I think I know now, it's just for the frames.

Sad.

My bros memorial is very soon in NM.

My cousin shared a few things she has set up for the services.

Photos of him throughout his lifetime that i've never seen before.

I know I'll be kicking myslef when the memorial is going on for not being thre in person.

That's one of the down sides of living so far away.

I forwarded many family photos to my brother before he passed.
He never seemed to be into family stuff much but when his time was short he got comfort from old times and photos.
Our son doesn't seem overly interested in our many, many suitcases full of photos.
Most of them are of him, little brat.
We now realize they probably will all be tossed in the trash when we move on.
I used to wonder why wedding photos of strangers were for sale at yard sales.
I think I know now, it's just for the frames.
Sad.
My bros memorial is very soon in NM.
My cousin shared a few things she has set up for the services.
Photos of him throughout his lifetime that i've never seen before.
I know I'll be kicking myslef when the memorial is going on for not being thre in person.
That's one of the down sides of living so far away.

-@Marilyn Tassy

I also look at old photos.  Unfortunately some of them have no explanation of who they are and what they are doing.  And there's no-one to ask now.

I must say there's a difference between photo albums and digital archives.  It's much nicer to have them in albums and to look at them with someone.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have moved this thread to the Help us improve the website global forum for a better follow-up.

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna

Hi Bhavna.

Thank you for letting us know. Expat.com is a very useful website but it definitely needs overhaul to make it more user friendly and attracting more members to contribute. 

Who is the moderator and support member for this website ?

Best Regards,

@expatriateguy1 Hello

Thank you for your feedback. It is very appreciated.

We have a team of admins who monitor the website and forums dedicated experts who help members and manage the forums.

It depends on what issue or what kind of help/assistance you need.

Regards

Bhavna

If you delete some old users, their comments may get deleted😲😳🥺...

Some haven't posted anything new because they're no longer with us😔.

If you delete some old users, their comments may get deleted😲😳🥺...
Some haven't posted anything new because they're no longer with us😔.

-@antonioggriffin

That's an interesting one. 

What to do with posts by persons deceased? 

On FB, it gets frozen which I don't like - relatives might want to post memories once in a while.

I would like to be interested in the number of posts of incactive members (over a year), I think you will find these are VERY limited in contents or frequency.

But active members who are dead could have been contributing frequently (I have to admit). Still I believe, 1 year plus of inactivity is more than enough.

If someone is deleted their posts remain (unless rules have been broken). Their name simply changes to Guest1245 etc......

@cdw057

I think I see what you mean🤔🤔🤔...

It is difficult, like someone stated earlier. Some people only post private.🤷‍♂️

I would like to get rid of Spammers.

I haven't run into those either tough.

@cdw057
I think I see what you mean🤔🤔🤔...
It is difficult, like someone stated earlier. Some people only post private.🤷‍♂️
I would like to get rid of Spammers.
I haven't run into those either tough.

-@antonioggriffin

Spammers are easy to detect and are removed as soon as they post. But if you do come across them you can report them, just click on report and write a description of what is wrong with the post.

If someone is deleted their posts remain (unless rules have been broken). Their name simply changes to Guest1245 etc......
        -@SimCityAT

If by "deleted" you mean "banned", I wrote this in a thread on the expat.com Vietnam forum. (Link)

"A "Guest Poster" is a former member who has deleted their expat.com account. Their comments are no longer accessible.

Conversely, a "Banned" member's name (and comment history)  remain visible."

A member who has chosen to delete their own account, for whatever personal reason(s), is assigned the Guest Poster #XXXX moniker. Their picture is removed, and their comment history is no longer searchable/visible, either by their original expat.com name or by their assigned Guest Poster number.

@Bhavna

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the insights.

I was asking about website developers and designers because this site has a lot of areas of advancement but we need to essentially make communication interface and subject matter discussions more effective.

Regarding the assistance, i would appreciate and happy to connect with with IT, data, technical writing, project management and analytics experts here.

Best Regards,

If someone is deleted their posts remain (unless rules have been broken). Their name simply changes to Guest1245 etc......        -@SimCityAT

If by "deleted" you mean "banned", I wrote this in a thread on the expat.com Vietnam forum. (Link)

"A "Guest Poster" is a former member who has deleted their expat.com account. Their comments are no longer accessible.
Conversely, a "Banned" member's name (and comment history)  remain visible."

A member who has chosen to delete their own account, for whatever personal reason(s), is assigned the Guest Poster #XXXX moniker. Their picture is removed, and their comment history is no longer searchable/visible, either by their original expat.com name or by their assigned Guest Poster number.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Someone can be removed but some of their posts may be good. Then they become Guest1234.

@expatriateguy1 here, where ? The team at expat.com ? or are you looking for developers and IT professionals in a specific country ?

If you are looking for job opportunities in Mauritius, where Expat.com is based, you may check for open positions advertised in the IT & Telecommunications job vacancies in Mauritius

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna

Yes, the team at expat.com. So that we can share our direct recommendations and further enhance expat.com as a community service platform.

@expatriateguy1

I am afraid, they don't directly liaise with members. They read suggestions posted when they have time but they have a strict calendar and specifications to follow. Suggestions are read by the Founder/CEO Julien as well so, you are most welcome to post them on the forum.

Regards

Bhavna

I have an idea... maybe this is different in the app (I haven't downloaded yet). But could we get notifications about the topic instead of the comments made in the topic.

For example,  I want to follow a topic and know when this topic has new comments instead of getting notified about topics I didn't view

@antonioggriffin

Hello, thank you for the feedback !

Yes that's possible to receive notifications only on subscribed topics. Members can unsubscribe to country forums. The settings for subscriptions is accessible under your photo at the top right.

Members can remove the country forum and leave only topics they are subscribed to.

Regards

Bhavna

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR