Tourist stay in Brazil

Hi, I have remained in Brazil as a French tourist from May, 08th to Aug, 05th / 89 days in total. When asking the Federal Police officer when I'll be authorized to come back I've got two different answers. The first one said after 6 months abroad and the other said, after 1 week abroad. They also informed me that they consider my civil year in Brazil from 12Feb to 11Aug. All this is very confusing. I'm trying to clarify through the consulate in France but they do not answer such question. Maybe someone can help, thanks

09/08/23 @zeca43.  You're caught between two conflicting Brazilian immigration rules, and a typographical error.  But there's a way through.  The officer who told you that you could spend a week outside Brazil and then come back was probably right, although you may have to explain it to the immigration officer when you return.  Here's the explanation.

Citizens of France, like citizens of most EU member countries, are allowed to spend up to 90 days in Brazil during each consecutive 180 days.  So you're ok on that score.

Internally, Brazil also counts a "migratory year" for each visitor, based on the date of your first visit according to the Federal Police records; visitors can have their maximum stay in each "migratory year".  This can be very hard to reconcile with the stays permitted by the "Quadro Geral de Regime de Vistos" (QGRV) of the Foreign Ministry, which the Federal Police are also required to consult.  The records apparently indicate that your first recorded arrival in Brazil took place on February 12 of some year, so your "migratory year" restarts each February 12.  Since maximum stays for French citizens are measured on a 180 day base rather than a 365 day base, the officer who told you "one week" was apparently treating your "migratory year" as being six months long, so you would be able to return on August 12.  This was his way of reconciling the conflicting rules.

The officer who said that you had to stay away for six months was apparently thinking that you had to wait for a new 365 day "migratory year" to start.  Maximum stays for many countries are based on 365 periods, but those of most EU members, including France, are based on 180 day periods, so this seems to be incorrect because it would cost you days that you're entitled to.

The typo is that the Portuguese version of the QGRV shows that French citizens are entitled to 90 days in every 180 days; you can tell from the "*" in the VIVIS column:

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … s.pdf/view

The English version of the same document, however, indicates the French citizens are entitled to 180 days in every 365 days, including an extension, like German and UK citizens are, by not including the "*":

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/embaixada- … 3.pdf/view

The Portuguese version should probably be treated as authoritative, so you might want to print that one out and have it with you when you return.

@abthree I'm glad things in Brazil are so easy to understand …🤣🤣🤣🤣

09/08/23    @abthree I'm glad things in Brazil are so easy to understand …🤣🤣🤣🤣

-@KenAquarius

Just imagine what it would be like if they enforced ALL the rules at once!

@abthree We could only pray that Brazil is playing for the World Cup. Then all would be forgotten. 😀

I may be quoting old rules here, but is not France one of the few European countries whose citizens cannot get a 90+90 days extension in Brazil - they have to leave and re-enter after the initial 90 days?

09/08/23    I may be quoting old rules here, but is not France one of the few European countries whose citizens cannot get a 90+90 days extension in Brazil - they have to leave and re-enter after the initial 90 days?

-@Peter Itamaraca

That rule applies to most EU member countries.  Part of the confusion with France is that it applies per the Portuguese-language version of the QGRV, but not according to the English-language version, although both were issued by the Foreign Ministry on the same day.  Prudence would suggest that the Portuguese version takes precedence, but it really depends on which the officer is looking at in the Polícia Federal office.