Can beachfront properties are built on freehold land?

A Mauritius real estate purchase question that I could not find any clarification by searching the forum.

Yesterday, I visited a beautiful beachfront property in Calodyne with a real estate agent.  Loved almost everything about it except that it was on leasehold land - my preference is freehold.

Are all beachfront properties have to be built on leasehold land?  I understand that there is the usual beach setback that needs to be public property.  But once the setback requirement has been fulfilled, this can be private land.

Relevant info for the real estate question:  I am a Mauritius citizen who left a long time ago and planning to return for remote work / retirement.

How do I find out about this particular requirement to have the property on freehold land on any real estate advertisement or government web site?   This would be a time saver to look at properties that meet that requirement.

Thank you.

FWIW: Beachfront properties on freehold  land are very rare on the island , especially in the North .

You can purchase either through word of mouth or you know someone who has just inherited  and even then it is "who you know" and how much you are ready and willing to pay for.

There are no freehold land beach front. they are all leasehold. even the hotels are on leasehold. it is the law in mauritius. thanks

@Pablo888  as  a Mauritian citizen you are allowed to buy lease hold property. But you need to be careful here... is the seller allowed to sell? what is the cost of the leasehold? what period is left on the leasehold?

You welcome to contact me for further assistance. Clarry

@clarryodell Thank you for your response.  I apologize for the delayed response as I was exploring another avenue.  Yes, as I understand it, beachfront properties are considered "crown property land".  I am not sure if I am using the right terms here but in essence, this is property that is considered strategic to the country and cannot be bought from the island - hence the lease only option.

The option that I was exploring in the past few days is the Avalon Bois Cheri as an early adopter investor.  May be this is something that may need another thread.

Otherwise, I think that this thread can be closed as this question has been answered for Mauritius.  If I am itching to own a freehold beachfront property, I am sure to be able to get one cheap in Alaska.