Notaries in Brasil for USA docs?

Is it possible for someone that has a USA citizenship or USA green card to that lives in Brasil most of the time to get something legally done for USA while in Brasil?

Example, needing to get a power of attorney done for USA stuff while in Brasil. Someone is sick, and cannot travel all the way back to USA to get papers drawn up for power of attorney, so can they do it legally in Brasil?

06/09/23 @ExpatUSATravels.  Good morning.   Yes, it is possible for a US citizen or permanent resident to obtain a US notarization in Brazil.

The most foolproof way is at a US diplomatic station.  All US Consulates and the US Consular Agencies in Manaus and Fortaleza provide this in-person service, the Consular Agencies for US citizens and permanent residents only.  All of the documents for the sale of my home in Illinois were notarized at the US Consular Agency in Manaus with no issues.  Contact the nearest one to you for details.

At least some documents can also be notarized by an online notary.  I had the USPS Form 1583 required to allow the Post Office to deliver my mail to my mail forwarder notarized that way.  I think I used NotaryCam.  That service may not be sufficient for all documents and jurisdictions, and it probably still requires the kind of big screen, hi-res, hands-free setup we've all become familiar with for Zoom calls.  It's hard to imagine it working on a handheld.

@abthree

thanks for the quick answer.

This is for my relative who is a Brasil citizen and USA permanent resident.

They are living now in Rio area about 45 minutes from the US consulate in Rio de Janeiro. I hope the Rio consulate can do stuff like this.

They need to make Power of Attorney for son to be able to handle all legal transactions for them, like selling their USA ho

use etc. since too sick to travel.

From the looks of your answer it seems like it should not be a problem at all. 1f600.svg

06/09/23 From the looks of your answer it seems like it should not be a problem at all. 1f600.svg
-@ExpatUSATravels

I would think so. My only misgiving is that the Consulates dropped and redistributed a lot of work during the pandemic; this service should not have been disrupted, but who knows? I hope it works out for your relative.