Formalities to bring your pet in Croatia

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Croatia?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Croatia?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Croatia?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

No quarantines there. It's fairly easy. The only required vaccination is rabies and you might be asked to show proof, depending on how you arrive. Some airlines require the pet micro-chip, as this is an EU travel requirement - but nobody upon arrival has ever asked to see the certificate of the micro-chip.

I have arrived by car and my small dog was not even noticed at passport control; actually the same thing has happened at Split Airport! I am always asked for the paperwork when arriving by ferry.

Croatians seem to think dog grooming is downright silly, and my dog gets covered with all manner of sticky plant stuff if I don't clip his hair really short myself. Pet food is not the best quality, so I do combine commercial kibble with some human food. 

In general, well-behaved dogs are welcome in most restaurants, hotels, apartments, and buses. Car ferries (trajekti) also. The passenger katamaran to my island now requires a pet container, but I have travelled with my dog from my island to other islands and on busses to Slovenia without problems.

I drove from the UK & wasn't asked for either my or my dogs passport until I arrived at the Croatian Border(2001 saw the end of the EU border stops/checks but croatia isn't a member yet). So, I didn't have to take him to the Vet in the UK to get into Croatia. At the Croatian Border it was just a cursory look at his passport but I suppose it does depend on which country your pet is from. The UK however requires he gets a tick/worm treatment & so I'm stopping at a Vet in Germany for the trip back.

A great place to check is Ferry/Airport sites as they can give you a clue & contacts.