Find a job in Croatia

Hi,

You are an expat living in Croatia? Please share your experience!

What is the best way to find a job in Croatia?

The Internet? Please tell us which are the most useful / effective websites for job seekers in Croatia.

Recruitment agencies? Have you got their contact?

Newspapers? Which ones?

organizations?

Thanks in advance for your participation

HI I would like to move my one man boat repair business to croatia. I understand there is alot of sailing going on. I also would consider shipping my small 25 FT wood sail boat over to live on and would be a better way to connect with the sailing crowd. Also do some day charters. Are things like that heavily regulated. I do have some finacial support from land income in the USA. But only a small amount paid out every quarter. I have alot of travel and living experiance in Europe since my mother is Austrian. But Austrian mothers dont count for citzenship .Cant even get a work permit. But I cant stay in America anymore. Its a good country but I just dont fit in.  Ok please contact me any suggestions appreciated. Lenny

Hey, so have you ever been to Croatia?  Do you know the language?  You would be able to move your business here and get a work Visa if you properly registered your business.  Or you could come here illegally, but it would be impossible to get work and open a business.  Over summers i live in a town that is based around its marina, its the town of Punat on Otok Krk (island krk) it has one of the largest marinas in Croatia.  First of all you have to have a business license to charter people, then you have to buy a spot to tie your boat too.  Many people do what you wish to do so im not sure how well you will do but you can try.  There is a lot of foreigners that come on private yachts and sail boats so if you have experience fixing them then your knowledge of English might help you because most of them don't know Croatian.  You can always try to get a job in a marina first then try to open up your business here.  It will be difficult but you can always try, the unemployment rate is very high here.  But first of all if you have never been here i suggest visiting before you try to live here.  You may not fit in, in America but how do you know Croatia is the place for you.

does anyone know of any gyms in croatia, im a personal trainer and would like to move out but i need work?!

Hai,
  I am an Electrical Diploma Holder (3 year) from India, Kerala State, having around 10years of work experience. I speak English and would like to settle in European union.Could you please suggest how to get a Job at Croatia, considering I am an Indian, who speaks English only.

Thanks

Sajith kumar
E-mail: [email protected]

Hi,
I'm interested in living in Croatia for a few years and teaching english. Do you know if there is a lot of work in this industry, or how easy it is to get a visa to do so?
Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone,
so these are web sites that are for job seekers in Croatia
http://www.moj-posao.net/http://www.posao.hr/http://www.adecco.hr/
2 davenmichelle: there are quite few, in Split biggest one is http://www.guliver-energija.hr/ but I am not sure about work permits!! By law, foreigners can work in Croatia if there is shortage of local workforce for the position. And that is not the case here...many unemployed.

2 sajithvdy: namaste! I've been to Cochi year ago! Nice people. As for your question, not sure about visa AND work permit. Try some of the shipping companies (tankers, bulkers etc).

2mosaicist: some private schools might be your choice. Again, permit is the issue.
Type: skola stranih jezika in google and all that pops out are language schools.

Good luck to all!

Hi,

I am searching for a job in Croatia for a few months already. But is very difficult because everything goes by connections. I am from Holland and how to get here a job and there is very different. There I just send emails to companies or go to a agency. But here I send around 800 applications and must hope that I got 10 reactions back, good or bad..
I don't speak Croatian that well, and that is difficult for companies, because they don't speak English that well..
If somebody has some ideas let me know :)

Greetingz

good luck there are no jobs in croatia for non croatians

sajithvdy wrote:

Hai,
  I am an Electrical Diploma Holder (3 year) from India, Kerala State, having around 10years of work experience. I speak English and would like to settle in European union.Could you please suggest how to get a Job at Croatia, considering I am an Indian, who speaks English only.

Thanks

Sajith kumar
E-mail: [email protected]

very difficult.... you can try by reaching the companies directly. it will be really difficult to find a job in Croatia without knowing the language, especially because we are not a multicultural society, so Croatian is a must everywhere :) but there are Croatian companies doing business with other international companies, and some international companies that have offices in Croatia.
Try by contacting them first, since it is very hard to find a job even for the local people, so arriving here before having a secured job would be quite a risk.
Good luck with it! :)

mosaicist wrote:

Hi,
I'm interested in living in Croatia for a few years and teaching english. Do you know if there is a lot of work in this industry, or how easy it is to get a visa to do so?
Thanks for your help!

as a native speaker you can get job easily, but only if you have studied English or linguistics or literature, or at least have experience in teaching. If not, it will be very difficult to get a job just because you are a native speaker, since there are many Croatian English teachers. However, if you are a native speaker in Croatia you can always give private conversation lessons to students. :)

if anybody here knows to get a job in zagreb, let me know it please!!!!!! i come from Lyon, France, i speak english and gonna learn croatian soon! my girlfriend is living in zagreb and my first wish is to make this relation easier!! if there is any french contact on the place, let me know it, it should be really enriching to get informations!!!

thx for help and wish good luck to expatriated crowd to realize what they wanna do!

a bientôt :)

origigi69 wrote:

if anybody here knows to get a job in zagreb, let me know it please!!!!!! i come from Lyon, France, i speak english and gonna learn croatian soon! my girlfriend is living in zagreb and my first wish is to make this relation easier!! if there is any french contact on the place, let me know it, it should be really enriching to get informations!!!

thx for help and wish good luck to expatriated crowd to realize what they wanna do!

a bientôt :)

you can always give private french lessons. at least for the beginning.

origigi69 wrote:

if anybody here knows to get a job in zagreb, let me know it please!!!!!!

Hi and welcome to Expat.com, origigi :)
Did you check out Croatia's Classifieds -> Jobs section? or even try to insert an ad yourself?
Good luck
Arlette

Hi!! Does anyone know how to get permit to stay in Croatia, IŽm from México. My boyfriend is Croatian and I intend to study there at Croaticum to learn the language and I also want to do an internship or find a job there?? So far it seems it is pretty hard... to find job and permit for staying :( We really need help!! Someone pleaseeee!!!! Hvala!! Thank you!! :)

Hello chiOo, welcome to Expat.com :)
It would be advisable to to start a new topic in Croatia's forum to give it a better visibility and receive appropriate responses to your many questiones :)
Cheers
Arlette

thanks for the websits...

Hi everyone,
I am currently looking for any job. My profession is Interior designer with experience in sales/marketing. I can speak and write both english and french.

Please let me know coz i'm been looking for more than 6 months and I have already send more than 250 appplications:(

Thanks
DIDIER

you can use the websites above...posted by SmileCroatia..

Are there any job besides teaching english for non native speakers? I am looking for something in research (social science), does anyone know if the universities are willing to hire a non-croatian trained phd's

Hi all, im from tunisia, currently in vacation in croatia, i speak and write english, french and arab.. Im still learnin croatian.... I have been looking for job here.. But its really hard ,im looking for any kind of work just to live in croatia.. If anyone could help me please.. Hvala

To find job in Croatia?
it is tough for Croatians too. Mostly it goes by connections, luckilly not allways. Maybe it would be easier to ask foreign companies for job. Some private language schools search for native speaking teachers. And there are some jobs in newspapers like adds (plavi oglasnik),not very perspective.http://www.oglasnik.hr/ (job=posao.
there are main job internet pages: moj-posao.net
              posao.hr
              hzz.hr
there are part-time jobs in summer.
Good luck! :)

Finding a job in Croatia is hard !
Recession, and a limited amount of people getting a working permit.
Best is to jump in during the tourist season, specially those that are skilled in serving, cooking, and other tourist jobs.
(multi language a bonus).

If still heading for permanent stay and job, first try to get connected to Croatian people, as connections are the MAGIC word there.
Give it a try !

Hello
I am going to move to Croatia in a few months, because I am getting married to my Croatian boyfriend.
I am originally from Romania, but I have lived in Spain for the last 4 years, so I speak Romanian (mother tongue), good Spanish and English, I get by in Russian and I am currently studying Croatian (which I hope to learn soon) and Italian.
My work experience includes administrative assistant and hotel recepcionist (among others).
I have a degree in Romanian language, a masterŽs degree in English linguistics and a hotel recepcionist diploma.
Do you think there are any chances for me to find a job in Croatia?
If anybody knows any job opportunities for me, do not hesitate to contact me.
:)

Hello deonisa!
Welcome on Expat.com :)

I will suggest you to try your luck by inserting an advert on the job section of Croatia Classifieds page.

Regards

Hvala!

Hi All

I am a South African Croat and have just moved to Zagreb after spending 2 years living and working in South Korea and now I am desperately seeking work.  I am trained in the field of advertising, photography and am a qualified ESL Teacher. If any one knows of where I can go to find work in any of these fields it would be greatly appreciated.

Hvala^^

Quality jobs in Croatia are hard to come by and I'm talking about professional jobs that are paid well. Most are located in Zagreb. Split and other cities are merely province cities.

Jobs in tourism are very seasonal and can range from $300 - $700 and that is not enough to live on if you have to pay rent.

The best bet for the expats is sole proprietorship registered in Croatia so that you can qualify for a business visa.
Croatia is very illiquid economy. Many companies are not paid within agreed terms and many companies are late with pay to their employees. So even when you do get a job, good luck on getting paid for it.

Hi Colorado
I can also agree with much of what you say, but would mention their sixth largest city, Slavonski Brod , where my girlfriend currently lives. There , a place of almost 70,000 inhabitants, times are also rather hard , very difficult  even . Many local people also have to consider moves around to obtain any employment, even skilled workers . The place is of a diverse economy, from railway engine and train  building to oil refining and everything in between from manufacturing through to printing and woodworking. When we marry, we will be moving to Istria , some 400 km away , though I would heartily recommend her current city as being worth a look. It is CERTAINLY not as I could ever imagine it being. She even gets vrlo dosadno ( very annoyed ), though the same word also means bored ! when I have in the past dared to call the country that she loves and is so patriotic about , Eastern block. NO  !!!! It is Mediterranean country  !!! Slavonksi Brod  was recently voted as being the most BEAUTIFUL city in Croatia, quite a surprise before I had even set eyes on it, but it is REAL NICE there . The locals have consistently made me feel at home , but maybe some of that is due to me having a resident for my partner as my first  contact , I don't know ...... Perhaps consider it as well as other possible locations .
One thing EVERYBODY  MUST do, though is to learn Hrvatski jezic ( Croatian language ) . It is INCREDIBLY difficult to master , let alone understand properly . Plurals, verbs and tenses cause me the most problems . I have been learning it now for 9 months  ( devet mjeseci ) and can write it reasonably competently , though badly, well enough for folk to be able to understand me . BUT I find the spoken word , and also sometimes even the written word , as so many words have multiple meanings ( see above . LOL ), terribly difficult to comprehend. They mostly speak so fast that by the time my PATHETIC little brain has translated one word, they have finished the sentence !!!   LOL .Good luck , you will all need it, but I still believe in the end the efforts will be well rewarded, if not financially, certainly in the QUALITY OF  LIFE ......
My thoughts are strong enough that in under two days ( dva dani ) I will be returning there again,for an all too short a visit to continue my education in finding more about  this wonderful place and it's terrific people , that I am beginning za razumijeti ( to understand ) , will become my permanent future before too long. I certainly believe all the effort is more than worth the difficulties .  Malcolm

Hey guys, looks like some great answers here but i think I am looking for something slightly different. Im an australian/british citizen and my girlfriend is swedish. we are looking to come and just spend 3 months in croatia. My job currently is sales and phone based so i could basically do it from anywhere and my boss will pay my commission into my english bank account so i think for such a short stay i could get away with it but my girlfriend will also need work. I had some close friends in italy who ran a pub crawl and although im sure there are some already in place in croatia, as ive got a long history of working hostels/bars/clubs across europe this would seem a perfect solution. Do you think we could get away with running something like this for a few months, or plan b, which id rather not do,is i have some croatian friends who could register the business then sponsor us to work for them. I dont think we would have time to do it this way so would LOVE some feedback.

Also, is there long distance calling cards or intl focused sim cards (like lebara in the UK) available in croatia?

Finally, ive done some searching and have found some apartments available and have the ones we have found that are very affordable are on islands like Hvar and Brac (€350) but ideally we'd like to stay in Split (have been around €1100) which is proving a little more expensive. Would it be best to get short term accomm sorted then find something in Split once we are there, or are there some reliable, competitive agencies the let properties available online?

thanks in advance guys!

Hi London OZ
My personal opinion is that for 3 months , I personally would not worry too much at all. You could get in on an ordinary passport and PROBABLY would not even need a visa. Just claim you are there as a hollidaymaker !  Frankly by the time the authorities MIGHT catch up with you, you  would have left anyway ! and would have to be real unlucky to get caught irrespective LOL !
As is happens I proposed to my girlfriend last weekend when in Istria ,and, her son is going to SWEDEN to take up again with his orriginal girlfriend ( she currently lives there ) from 16 years back ! She is Croation anyway, orriginally from Slovanski Brod and IF they marry, which they both believe they will , it would be in Istria , we will try to arran ge a 4 way marriage, me my yioung lady and he and his girlfriend too .We will try to arrange for , me and my FIANCEE( moja zarucnica )  ( formerly simply moja cura ( girlfriend ) LOL ) and her son and his girlfriend will probably have a 4 way marriage ceremony ( PROVIDING I do not have to KISS HIM ! ) Recon a beard would tickle somewhat and I have NEVER kissed any bloke anyway LOL !
As to work, I sure believe that even though work is real difficult U Hrvatski right now, there would be plenty of 'casual' ( cash in hand , undeclared !  ) in the islands/tourist areas during the season . Similarly you could fairly easily find accomodation when there. However these two things would tend to work AGAINST each other .Cash in hand would be less well paid , AND accomodation in the season woule tend to be more expensive. Heads you lose, tails you don't win !
I would say, good luck, try it, have FUN and enjoy . It's a lovely place and the people are terrific once you are 'in ' and accepted . TRY  IT , go for it ! Malcolm
P.S. I NEVER wrote ANYTHING about anything slightly near to the line, it's this damned female racunalo ( computer ) , like ALL female things it seems to have a mind of it's own and they you can't delete ANYTHING , afterwards  LOL  LOL  LOL ! Female things have a NAAAAAASTY habit of remembering things ( WHEN  IT  SUITS  THEM !!!!! )

Hi!
Looking for an english teacher for 1 month. 2 girls - 2 lessons a day (as long as it takes) .
zaboric, sibenik.
[email protected]

Maybe you know someone who interested?
Thanks.

Hi evga,

Please post your advert in the Croatia classifieds > job section. Thank you and good luck.

my name is Armand and i am from Albania. i want to work in the Croatia in the  construction.  s  the life here is very difficult and this reason that i want to move in the your country. here i work in the factory furniture but i want to work in the construction there. please i am searching for any construction company that need for foreign workers. what is the way?

Ive been here for six years now, i'm British and an electrical engineer and have been unable to find engineering work. Had three months in a marina but they would not give me a contract and I would have to beg for my money every month.Its difficult here if your Croatian, im married to a Croatian and this year will get permanant residency but this will not improve things, I know. You have to know somebody where you want to work and that will not help you 100% eiether Forget trying to start a business as there will be all manner of excuses including people in offices specifically for foreigners being told not to speak English to you! Sorry to be negative but that is my experience so far.The best you can get in the summer is as waiter for 4000 kunas per month working all day for 6 days ona n island somewhere.

Chris

Communication engineer ? or engineering field in Croatia is opened or Croatia needs fresh graduate engineers or not
thanks a lot

Thank you very much for your information.

I suppose many things are the same now. I Žm thinking very seriously to go to Croatia for working.

Hi Am i Abdul Sattar Mughal  From Karachi Pakistan When I Seeking Job in Croatia
Experts in Super Mall, General Store, Operator,  Manager, Accountant, etc,
I Have a Pakistani Passport
if The any Croatia Visa Available Please Reply Me Thanks

Hi, I'm Tom from Croatia, can you send me your details? I travel to Pakistan soon.

You're free to contact me for any help. I'm Croatian who travels a lot and have many contacts. Thanx