Temporary work outside of the Netherlands

I am a US citizen married to an EU national (German). I have temporary residency in the Netherlands - where I am legally employed as a salaried engineer. Sometimes my work requires me to travel to Germany to work - but for never more than 14 days per year.

Do I need a German work permit?

Not likely.

I assume you'll still be on the Dutch payroll?

In this case, as long as you work in NL for 75% of the time then it will not be an issue.

It's likely you may technically have issues if you work there for 3-6 months a year but even then I doubt anything will be picked up.

So 14 days per year would not be an issue.

@James Evans

Thanks. Over the last 5 years I have been spending two-week stints in Germany. It is only recently that the organization I have been working with in Germany has called into question if I can indeed work there with my Dutch residency.

Specific regulation on this has been hard to find, but based on what I have gathered there is a Netherlands-Germany tax treaty which allows me to work, provided my time in Germany does not exceed 183 days over a 12 month period.

This whole thing has been a pain in the neck. Time to bite the bullet and just apply for my permanent residency. Dutch lessons - here I come.