The work culture in Portugal

Hello everyone,

As an expatriate, working in Portugal can present unique opportunities but also challenges. Discovering new communication styles, adapting to new cultural norms... working in Portugal can be both exciting and confusing.

Share your experience to better understand the work culture in Portugal and facilitate the professional adaptation of people who are wondering about it.

How would you define the work culture in Portugal?

What was the most difficult thing for you when you started working?

What made the biggest impression on you?

How did you fit into your team?

Thank you for your contribution.

Mickael
Expat.com team

While I am only living, but not working, in Portugal I must say that I notice a huge lack work safety procedures being applied. So often I see construction workers without the proper personal protection equipment PPE (gloves, googles, shoes, harnesses, ...). I also often see farm workers applying chemicals without proper PPE.

I am aware that this wasn't quite what you were thinking in terms work culture, but I think it sheds a light on the general attitude towards the well being of the workforce.

I am retired (71 years old) and have lived most of my life in the United States.

My knowledge of the Portuguese " work culture" stems from the mid 50s. My mother srarted working at age 11 (eleven) at "fabrica de fiaçao" in Tomar, Portugal, while my father worked at an "armazem de vinho" . In 1959 we moved to Lisboa, where, for 2 years they secured the documents for immigration "via bribes and trickery" and got the hell out. Now, I'm coming back. The whole of it would take a hell of a lot more than a couple of sentences, but, you get the gist.

See you soon.