Apostille: When, Where & How!

Got the Brazilian marriage certificate, FBI Background check and I believe the last item for my Permanent Residency by Spouse is the Apostille, When Where and How.

Also, according to my passport my deadline is 4/4/2023.  On to Florida for fingerprinting. 1f644.svg

Thanx!

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Have you gotten the vitem xi visa or still working on that?  For my vitem xi, I didn't need any documents apostilled.  Nor did I need anything new for the federal police when I registered after my first entry to Brazil

Have you gotten the vitem xi visa or still working on that? For my vitem xi, I didn't need any documents apostilled. Nor did I need anything new for the federal police when I registered after my first entry to Brazil
-@madrac

He's going the Polícia Federal route, not the VITEM XI route.

02/16/23 Got the Brazilian marriage certificate, FBI Background check and I believe the last item for my Permanent Residency by Spouse is the Apostille, When Where and How.
Also, according to my passport my deadline is 4/4/2023. On to Florida for fingerprinting. 1f644.svg

Thanx!

-@roddiesho

Cool!  Hopefully, the Channeler can get you the apostille, too.  When they you have the apostilled Background Check, BE CAREFUL not to detach them for any reason:  that will void both documents.

Thanx,

I will always remember you and Texas Brazil emphasizing the staple. It is stuck inky brain now.😱

02/17/23  Thanx,
I will always remember you and Texas Brazil emphasizing the staple. It is stuck inky brain now.😱
-@Roddie Simmons

Maybe we DO overstress it a little!  😂🤣😂🤣

But believe me, one of the saddest things in the world is to see somebody go to all the pain and expense of getting an important document apostilled, only to accidentally throw it all away to make a copy. And it really has happened.  😭

I'm getting married in Brazil this fall.  there is a document called Declaration of Civil Status.  It's to prove that I'm single.  Anyway, since this is a foreign document, it's difficult to find good price for getting it apostilled.  I checked online it costs $230 total for this document.  Is there a cheaper option?

04/04/24 I'm getting married in Brazil this fall. there is a document called Declaration of Civil Status. It's to prove that I'm single. Anyway, since this is a foreign document, it's difficult to find good price for getting it apostilled. I checked online it costs $230 total for this document. Is there a cheaper option?
-@deafmgecko

If you're a US citizen living in the United States, you should be able to prepare a Single Status Affidavit yourself, swear it in front of a Notary Public who should then notarize it.  You submit the notarized Affidavit directly to the Secretary of State of your state (or the state that commissioned the Notary, if different) for an apostille.  The only charges are the fees from the Notary and the Secretary of State.  The Notary may have a standard form for the Affidavit, or you may be able to get one from your County Clerk's office.  If not, you could follow the example here:

https://www.internationalapostille.com/ … affidavit/

@abthree Thank you!

@roddiesho

Hi Roddy,

Things going/went well with the apostille process? I am applying for apostille for my FBI background (as well as marriage and birth certificates.) Did you find a good service to handle the process? It seems there's a lot of scams out there.

Living in Bahia now!

Bruno

@abthree Almost a year later and NOW I get it.1f914.svg We will see our new lawyers tomorrow and I will ask them to help me set that up and work on the Permanent Residency Visa as the 2nd. Priority.

Roddie in Retirement 1f575.svg

@abthree Almost a year later and NOW I get it.1f914.svg We will see our new lawyers tomorrow and I will ask them to help me set that up and work on the Permanent Residency Visa as the 2nd. Priority.
Roddie in Retirement 1f575.svg-@roddiesho

@roddiesho, wow.  It really took 1 year.  This process has been such a trip for you that we will need to celebrate once the paperwork gets all sorted out.

Now my apostille question - I applying for a visit with my teenager son (without my wife).  I already have my e-visa and I have all the requirements for a minor e-visa application.  What I am confused about is the apostilled document allowing my son to travel with me alone.  What I usually get in this case is a "Letter of Authorization To Travel" letter in English and my wife and I sign in front of a notary - but I read that the same letter needs to be provided in Portuguese and notarized at the consulate.

Is this "Letter of Authorization To Travel" document really need to be in Portuguese and apostilled at the consulate?  Also, if it is really needed, is it best to call the consulate to make an appointment or email?

@Pablo888,@abthree  What I meant was it took me a year to learn the wisdom of having a     

Vitem xi visa first, then going for the Permanent Residency after. I also just learned that when you

get your Permanent Residency Visa you become a Tax Resident.

As far as your E-Visa question, that is way above my EXPAT.COM paygrade. I copied @abthree on this,

so you may get a reply soon, but congratulations either way.

@Sucodasondas I am using USA Apostille. 4-6 weeks. $195.

01/23/24  Now my apostille question - I applying for a visit with my teenager son (without my wife).  I already have my e-visa and I have all the requirements for a minor e-visa application.  What I am confused about is the apostilled document allowing my son to travel with me alone.  What I usually get in this case is a "Letter of Authorization To Travel" letter in English and my wife and I sign in front of a notary - but I read that the same letter needs to be provided in Portuguese and notarized at the consulate.

Is this "Letter of Authorization To Travel" document really need to be in Portuguese and apostilled at the consulate?  Also, if it is really needed, is it best to call the consulate to make an appointment or email?

-@Pablo888

Where are you seeing this requirement?  I'm familiar with the notarized "Letter of Authorization to Travel", but not with a requirement for it to be legalized at a Consulate.  An email to the Consulate responsible for your state would probably clarify it.

@Pablo888

I agree with @abthree - I have only ever known this letter to be signed by parents and presented when one parent is departing your home country, travelling with a minor. As you will be returning to the US on a return ticket, I assume that Brazil will accept that this letter has been checked by the US authorities?

Thank you @abthree and @peter itamaraca. 

I have always had this "Letter of Authorization To Travel" with me whenever I travel with my minor kids without my wife.  I travel with my kids alone often since my wife and I have very different travel schedules and child kidnapping by family is quite common in the US.

I will email the consulate to see if this letter written in English and notarized is enough to travel to Brazil or whether a Portuguese translation is also needed.

I don't mind going to the consulate if this translated letter needs to be notarized at the consulate as this will also give me an opportunity to apply for the CPF.

Will let you know what the consulate says.....

01/24/24 Thank you @abthree and @peter itamaraca. 
I have always had this "Letter of Authorization To Travel" with me whenever I travel with my minor kids without my wife.  I travel with my kids alone often since my wife and I have very different travel schedules and child kidnapping by family is quite common in the US.

Will let you know what the consulate says.....

-@Pablo888

Please do:  that's really important information either way.  I hope that it doesn't complicate your trip.