MM2H: Fingers crossed. The Star newspaper. 1 February 2023.

As existing holders of MM2H visas, and as aspiring joiners,  we were devastated by the introduction of crippling new conditions imposed by the previous administration.

There will definitely be concern by the new administration to restore not only goodwill earned by such a wonderful scheme as was introduced at the outset (even from the days of the Silver Hair Programme) but also the financial benefits that can be derived from MM2H members to the lovely country of Malaysia. It is very clear that uppermost in the minds of the new government will be to do everything it can to boost the coffers of the country. And who can blame them. Good luck, Malaysia. You are definitely wise and determined enough to do the right thing.

The piece in today's STAR newspaper will stir a lot of interest, for sure. Fingers crossed!

As existing holders of MM2H visas, and as aspiring joiners, we were devastated by the introduction of crippling new conditions imposed by the previous administration.
There will definitely be concern by the new administration to restore not only goodwill earned by such a wonderful scheme as was introduced at the outset (even from the days of the Silver Hair Programme) but also the financial benefits that can be derived from MM2H members to the lovely country of Malaysia. It is very clear that uppermost in the minds of the new government will be to do everything it can to boost the coffers of the country. And who can blame them. Good luck, Malaysia. You are definitely wise and determined enough to do the right thing.
The piece in today's STAR newspaper will stir a lot of interest, for sure. Fingers crossed!
-@vernonsen

It would help if you provide a link to the article in The Star.

@Cobolin

Indeed.

i tried but the system defeated me…

I assume you mean this one: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/ … y-overhang

My wife and I had been looking at Malaysia as a potential retirement destination in 5-10 years. We're both professionals with good savings and retirement accounts, but despite that I'm not sure we'd be able to show 40,000RM a month in pension income.. which is completely excessive for Malaysia bearing in mind we'd sell our home and buy a property in Malaysia outright.

Consequently it has completely diverted our plans and we're looking at other countries in SEA. I'd imagine lots of others in our situation will be doing the same.

If Johor can revert the changes we might change our plans back, but otherwise we'll end up in Thailand/Vietnam or somewhere similar and won't be spending our RM1m on a property in Malaysia....

News article is here:

Unfortunately it is a différent article.

i tried to attach a photocopy but the system did not allow me to (I think).

However, it mentions the Johore Sultan's intention to issue a MM2H visa a la the previous, sensible conditions for MM2H applicants for his state of Johor only as he really wants to quickly boost the tourist numbers and revenue that  shrank because of COVID-19. Also that he is going to press the new Home Minister (under the Anwar Prime Ministerial leadership) to revert the punishing new conditions (brought in by the previous government) to the original, friendly, smart and welcoming MM2H visa conditions that we all loved and which brought real wealth in for Malaysia because of its undoubted success.

@vernonsen71

By the way, it might just be the same article. Unable to see your link.

@Cobolin I think it could be this, extracted from The Star 01/02/23. But article doesn't mention anything promising.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocpqbd7xqm017 … 5.png?dl=0

Screenshot%202023-02-01%20at%2015.12.55.

@Celestar Thanks, that's the same one that Lordbase linked to. Interesting.

My guess is that this move by the Sultan of Johore will galvanise the new administration to act fast to quickly review matters and restore the programme on a national basis. Not sure about what Sarawak will do.

No one will complain about say, a 10% increase in the financial criteria requirements but the simply unacceptable new conditions that were introduced last October (the RM1M deposit, the completely unrealistic RM40,000 monthly income and the RM500 per year renewal fee etc) must be changed back to a practical, down to earth conditions and genuinely welcoming programme.

Yes, nothing has yet been agreed but the speed with which the new administration is operating on several fronts (not least a very high priority given to stamping out corruption, which blighted the country for many, many years) looks promising.

I am well into my second period of my 10 year MM2H visa and have seen at first hand what has happened around me. Lots of very good stuff - but a lot of the other too…

Good Luck to all existing MM2H visa holders and any one wishing to join. I have no hesitation is stating that if the sensible conditions are restored, this will continue to be the best such programme in the region for particularly English speaking folk. After all, Malaya was British administered for such a long time, including the WW2 years!

It's a great country.