Confused about accepting a job offer

Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineer with 12+ years of experience in Manufacturing field of Reliability & Maintenance of machines.

I have got a job offer for 1300 OMR monthly salary. I am planning to shift with my wife & the location is Salalah.

Presently I am in Thane, Maharashtra, India & we both are working and our take home salary after tax deduction is around Rs 1,50,000/- per month.

I have a few questions:

1. Is this salary as per Oman standard good enough looking at my experience & knowledge?
  2. Is this salary good enough to save a substantial amount & maintain our standard of living?
  3. My wife is into IT field, are there any job opportunities for IT Engineers in Salalah Oman?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Deepak

Hi deepak19091986,

Find some thoughts and comments on your queries below :

1. Is this salary as per Oman standard good enough looking at my experience & knowledge? - The salary offered to you has nothing much to do with either your experience or your knowledge (about which no one except you can say). The salary quoted must be the budgeted sum for the post offered to you.
  2. Is this salary good enough to save a substantial amount & maintain our standard of living? - What is your 'standard of living' ? If you opt to live in an independent villa with a swimming pool, then it sure would cost you more than if you choose to live in a one-bedroom apartment. So it all boils down to your personal lifestyle and spending patterns.
  3. My wife is into IT field, are there any job opportunities for IT Engineers in Salalah Oman?- Given the impetus on accelerating the country's Omanisation drive, jobs available for expat males lately are few and far between. Jobs on offer for female expats would, therefore, and at best, be a fraction of that only.

One crucial point which you must certainly consider is the longevity of your job. Have a minimum guarantee given by your employer that is agreeable to you.

Secondly, Salalah is way down south from Muscat. It is quieter, less expensive and with a salubrious climate during the Khareef season. Tourists from not only Oman, but from across the GCC would flock there to enjoy the season.

Lastly, the Cost of Living in Oman is a topic that has been much discussed and debated on the forum. So please read all the information that is already available.

Good luck !