Motorbike Trip to Cambodia

Over the Vietnam Cambodia border and back on Vnn registered bike with evisa , blue card etc.

Still possible same as before covid?

Moc Bai border gate.

Hi Mikedylan2001. Might be a good idea to also post this question on the Cambodia forum.

If you receive an answer there, please take the time to let us know, here on the VN forum.

Over the Vietnam Cambodia border and back on Vnn registered bike with evisa , blue card etc.
Still possible same as before covid?
Moc Bai border gate.
-@mikedylan2001

Cant see why not, traffic police generally dont hang out at border gates. I did this numerous times when I had a 90-day VEC.

@colinoscapee WEll the traffic police are welcome to stop me I have full Vietnamese licence so no problem. Ill even buy them a few beers like last time :}

@AidanIs there a Cambodia forum ?

@mikedylan2001

yes sir.

Cambodia forum here  (team member Joe Khmer)

List of world-wide forums, here

@mikedylan2001

Hi there Mikedylan2001.

Was the Cambodia forum of any help?

If legally/logistically doable, a bike ride in to Cambodia from Vietnam would be a lot of fun!

When you have a moment, please take the time to let us know what you've learned.

Hello @mikedylan2001 hello everyone i haven't done it yet, but was thinking of doing that in begining of next year,

Does any one have any advices?

Will stay in VN for like a week then wanted to go to Cambodia on bus or maybe motorbike,

Do you need visa over there or is it like Vietnam 15 days free of visa (British passport)

Would appreciate all help,

Have a good day!

Also does anyone know how long you have to go out of the country before coming back in VN with the free visa for uk citizen?

Also does anyone know how long you have to go out of the country before coming back in VN with the free visa for uk citizen?
-@satph84

Hi Satph84. You can exit/reenter VN same day with your 15 day visa-free option.

Cambodian Immigration will allow you to enter/exit same day as well. In fact, you can exit to Cambodia, and then reenter VN within minutes, though Cambodia Immigration may require a little "coffee money" to, you know, make things a little smoother.

Not sure about your eligibility for visa-free entrance to Cambodia. Visa on arrival is available though.

Best to check with the knowledgeable people on the Cambodia forum (expert's name is Joe Khmer) for specifics.

Once you've determined the possibility of your intended turn around, and pending your having the time, please take a moment to report back your findings.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks a lot for you advices and info,

I will still look into it sure will gety back to you.

So just to be sure,

When i come back to VN ,

I am good for 15 days again is that correct?

And i am planning to spend a few days in cambodia so the quick quick in out will not use it but very good to know !

1f64f.svg1f64f.svg1f64f.svg

@Aidan in HCMC
Thanks a lot for you advices and info,

I will still look into it sure will gety back to you.

So just to be sure,

When i come back to VN ,

I am good for 15 days again is that correct?

And i am planning to spend a few days in cambodia so the quick quick in out will not use it but very good to know !

1f64f.svg1f64f.svg1f64f.svg
-@satph84

Yes indeed. 15 days visa-free is automatic. Present passport at the border, enter Vietnam.

Have fun in Cambodia!

@satph84

Oh, just a couple of more things, Satph84.

If you, as an English citizen, are required to hold a visa to enter Cambodia, and if you opt for the online e-Visa, please remember that the online e-Visa can be used only at these ports of entry to Cambodia.

E-Visa application to Cambodia can be found here.

Also, to enter Vietnam your British passport must be valid for at least 6 months past the end date of your 15 day stay, and must have 2 blank pages available (for each 15 day stay).

@Aidan in HCMC

Great thank you i am sure i will enjoy it ,

I should be arriving in HCMC around the 19 or 20 january,

Haven't done any planing really just have ideas on what to do,

thank again so helpfull

270c.svg

@Aidan in HCMC

thank again so helpfull

270c.svg
-@satph84

Heading to Phnom Penh from HCMC & land border crossing at Moc Bai tomorrow with Cambodia e Visa. Short break Phnom Penh just a couple of days & back to HCMC. Took the easy rout on the Cambodia e Visa & got my long trusted agent to get it for me, took less than 2 days to come through.

@Aidan in HCMC

thank again so helpfull

270c.svg
-@satph84

Heading to Phnom Penh from HCMC & land border crossing at Moc Bai tomorrow with Cambodia e Visa. Short break Phnom Penh just a couple of days & back to HCMC. Took the easy rout on the Cambodia e Visa & got my long trusted agent to get it for me, took less than 2 days to come through.

-@goodolboy

So much easier than getting married, eh?

😉

@Aidan in HCMC

thank again so helpfull

270c.svg
-@satph84

-@goodolboy

So much easier than getting married, eh?

😉
-@OceanBeach92107

Told you before every time you mention getting married I have to hit the bottle. But seriously we have been together for 4+ years & happy & no pressure for marriage. Oh Ms My will be coming to Phnom Penh too.

@GOB

Can you report back what paperwork they inspected for the bike to go out and back in - if it is just the passport/I.D. and "BlueCard" or is there a document you have to fill in?

Asking because you have Ms My with you and her name is on "BlueCard" and her I.D./Passport -

the O.P. would not be on the "BlueCard" so wondering if they would let the bike through without any kind of permission from owner.

Can you ask her to ask? would be useful info for anyone trying to do the same without GF/Wife.

@GOB
Can you report back what paperwork they inspected for the bike to go out and back in - if it is just the passport/I.D. and "BlueCard" or is there a document you have to fill in?
Asking because you have Ms My with you and her name is on "BlueCard" and her I.D./Passport -
the O.P. would not be on the "BlueCard" so wondering if they would let the bike through without any kind of permission from owner.

Can you ask her to ask? would be useful info for anyone trying to do the same without GF/Wife.
-@AndyHCMC

Sorry I should have been more specific to the post, we have had a good talk this morning & will do the whole run & back on one of the tourist buses. I nice young lady broadsided me at the AEON Mall  round about yesterday afternoon & the Mobylette & me are hurting this morning. Lucky no one hurt bad just scuffs & bruises but had a truck pick up the Mobylette this morning to take it to the shop for major surgery.

@AndyHCMC

I did not even think about that ,

How would it be with a rented mobylette?

@AndyHCMC
I did not even think about that ,

How would it be with a rented mobylette?
-@satph84

HI,

I thought about it 3 years ago but was told there would be trouble proving its yours if passport didn't match bikes Bluecard.

I was hoping to get real time info, maybe a letter from rental company?

But that would need to be notarised  & stamped?

Hopefully someone has done it recently.

Every time you guys start talking about motorbikes/motorcycles, I think of the dozen or so people I know who've been in accidents in Vietnam and the zero people I know who've been in taxi/Grab car/private car accidents.

Then I think about that gruesome video from a couple years ago, where the trucker plowed over 20 or 30 people on motorbikes waiting at a 🚦 signal light.

It happened again today (on a slightly smaller scale):

https://youtu.be/YsjMuhD_uHg

Every time you guys start talking about motorbikes/motorcycles, I think of the dozen or so people I know who've been in accidents in Vietnam and the zero people I know who've been in taxi/Grab car/private car accidents.
Then I think about that gruesome video from a couple years ago, where the trucker plowed over 20 or 30 people on motorbikes waiting at a 🚦 signal light.

It happened again today (on a slightly smaller scale):

https://youtu.be/YsjMuhD_uHg
-@OceanBeach92107

Don't fear the reaper.

We live only once. We can go through life either riding a motorcycle, or not.

There's no denying the inherent risk. In one city alone, Saigon, there are on average just under 4 traffic fatalities each and every single day.

However, the risk of injury to oneself can be mitigated in several different ways.

A safety approved helmet. I've seen guys on 700t VND Bugattis wearing what I call a plastic baseball hat ($5 helmet, $5 head). Because, styling!

Boots, not flip-flops.

Gloves.

Pants and jacket, not shorts and t-shirt

This would greatly reduce many of the injuries suffered in motorcycle/scooter accidents in VN (thousands, each day).

Mind you, these simple safety steps would not have helped the victims in the video you linked to (and yes, I do remember the accident you mentioned from 3 or 4 years back).

How do I avoid that scenario? I seldom, if ever, stop at a red light in VN but when I do I don't linger. But that's just me.

Don't follow my lead!

Then there's these options....

suprine-exodus-7.jpg?fit=807%2C693&ssl=1

5611d44f840aa7aace769a119542d7a7.jpg

suprine-exodus-3.jpg?ssl=1

Thailand has one. of highest fatality rates and most people there drive cars not motorbikes.

@Aidan

If you look at the accidents here in VN you will see one common thread, lack of knowledge, training, and riding gear.

Example, girl killed by petrol tanker at junction, the girl turned right inside the turning circle of the tanker, the driver who was looking left at the time and on the far side of the cab.

No one with half a brain would do that move in the west knowing the wheel would pin the bike against the kerb, the wheel would ride up over the bike and kill the rider.

Result was the death of the young woman - tragic but 100% avoidable.

IF everyone stuck to their side of the road and didnt ride in the curbside the opposite way, people wouldn't have to swerve out and get hit by a bus or truck which was traveling in their own lane and minding their own business.

Lights are there so people can see you so they can slow down or move out the way, you may as well put a big "hit me" sign on your head if you ride around on a bike at night with no lights.

Hardly any of the deaths here in VN are accidents they are caused by people having no regard for other people or thinking what they are doing.

@Aidan
If you look at the accidents here in VN you will see one common thread, lack of knowledge, training, and riding gear.

Example, girl killed by petrol tanker at junction, the girl turned right inside the turning circle of the tanker, the driver who was looking left at the time and on the far side of the cab.

No one with half a brain would do that move in the west knowing the wheel would pin the bike against the kerb, the wheel would ride up over the bike and kill the rider.

IF everyone stuck to their side of the road and didnt ride in the curbside the opposite way, people wouldn't have to swerve out and get hit by a bus or truck which was traveling in their own lane and minding their own business.

Lights are there so people can see you so they can slow down or move out the way, you may as well put a big "hit me" sign on your head if you ride around on a bike at night with no lights.

Hardly any of the deaths here in VN are accidents they are caused by people having no regard for other people or thinking what they are doing.
-@AndyHCMC

Totally agree.

@Aidan

-@AndyHCMC
Totally agree.
-@colinoscapee

And, usually, admittedly do not know the percentage, not the fault of a commercial vehicle.

MAc

Dear All.

After a restless night I gave this more thought. No one, Vietnamese nor Expat wants to see anyone injured, or killed because misuse of a motorbike.

Where it is ingrained into Viet culture to use vehicles as 'they' do. Still, maybe as Expats, visitors long term VEC, TRC, PRC, what ever, but leaning more toward those of us who have committed to living here for life.  We may be able to contribute to the well being of Viet Nam, Vietnamese people. And all.

Yes, my wife and  I observe daring behaviors daily on the roads, pathways, etc. However, there are behaviors 'we'  as expats can practice to limit our own exposure to the issues.

Observe closely, the behaviors of commercial drivers. Two of which are my brothers. Having ridden w them, I observed my oldest brother drives as if the road, other drivers are like I found myself when flying a plane. He takes everything into account, taking his work as a driver very seriously. Still we have observed some commercial drivers who drive around as if they are in command of all, passing other vehicles big and small acting as if their loud horn is their defense.

May we make a list of behaviors that best protects us from others, do's and don'ts that may at least mitigate circumstances?

As Always,

MAc

Dear All.
After a restless night I gave this more thought. No one, Vietnamese nor Expat wants to see anyone injured, or killed because misuse of a motorbike.

Where it is ingrained into Viet culture to use vehicles as 'they' do. Still, maybe as Expats, visitors long term VEC, TRC, PRC, what ever, but leaning more toward those of us who have committed to living here for life. We may be able to contribute to the well being of Viet Nam, Vietnamese people. And all.

Yes, my wife and I observe daring behaviors daily on the roads, pathways, etc. However, there are behaviors 'we' as expats can practice to limit our own exposure to the issues.

Observe closely, the behaviors of commercial drivers. Two of which are my brothers. Having ridden w them, I observed my oldest brother drives as if the road, other drivers are like I found myself when flying a plane. He takes everything into account, taking his work as a driver very seriously. Still we have observed some commercial drivers who drive around as if they are in command of all, passing other vehicles big and small acting as if their loud horn is their defense.

May we make a list of behaviors that best protects us from others, do's and don'ts that may at least mitigate circumstances?

As Always,
MAc
-@Mac68

Can someone please translate this post into English!

@goodolboy

Xin Loi Goodolboy,

I'll try to be more clear just for you.

Always,

Respectfully,

MAc

Dear All.

Where it is ingrained into Viet culture to use vehicles as 'they' do. Still, maybe as Expats, visitors long term VEC, TRC, PRC, what ever, but leaning more toward those of us who have committed to living here for life. We may be able to contribute to the well being of Viet Nam, Vietnamese people. And all.

Yes, my wife and I observe daring behaviors daily on the roads, pathways, etc. However, there are behaviors 'we' as expats can practice to limit our own exposure to the issues.

As Always,
MAc
-@Mac68
Can someone please translate this post into English!
-@goodolboy

A rough English to Scottish translation would be:

People here don't drive to a high standard.

Make a list of what you think would help other members while driving on the road and post it.

@goodolboy
Xin Loi Goodolboy,

I'll try to be more clear just for you.

Always,
Respectfully,

MAc
-@Mac68

He said

Ok - he will try harder

Hi @AndyHCMC ,

And hi everyone,

Arf yeah true,

So would have to have "blue card"?

Sorry if its a dom question but i supose when you buy a car or a bike you will get that...?

I will try and ask about it around me,(for rented one ,letter or if its easy or just do it an other way)

If i have news on that will let you know,

But it makes sense .

If no way to do so; the easiest way would be by bus i supose...?

Hi @AndyHCMC ,
And hi everyone,

Arf yeah true,

Sorry if its a dom question but i supose when you buy a car or a bike you will get that...?

I will try and ask about it around me,(for rented one ,letter or if its easy or just do it an other way)

But it makes sense .

-@satph84

What?

Oh, you're going back ON topic? 😉

Hopefully you'll eventually get definitive answers.

Good luck!

Hi @AndyHCMC ,
And hi everyone,

Arf yeah true,

But it makes sense .

-@satph84

I've dealt with these guys before, but only to buy parts for my bike, Honda XR-150L. I have no affiliation with them other than that. I have always found their statements to be accurate.

caveat; YMMV

That being said, I believe what they say to be accurate.

If anybody has information contrary to what is stated on their webpage, please let us all know.

Hi @AndyHCMC ,
And hi everyone,

Arf yeah true,

But it makes sense .

-@satph84

Hi,

Yes when you buy a bike here in Vietnam the bike gets a "blue card" it has the bike's vin and info on and the owners name as which is usually a local.

At the border gate there are thousands of VN who go through to Cambodia to see family and work etc and they can travel without a visa so taking a bike out and in is easy for them as any bike paperwork would line up with their I.D. if checked.

The rest of us would normally get the wife or GF to buy the bike in their name and just drive around with the "Bluecard" or a copy which is good enough if stopped in country you just show you have it so police don't think you stole the bike.

Or maybe you could give the bike idea a miss & travel by bus as they have beds and aircon.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thank for the link ,

Was looking on they website they say that you can rent and cross boarder with they bikes just have to mention your plans in advance...

Maybe look into it,

Will let people know ,

Good day to all of you guys!

I'm more interested in the road trip to the Cambodian border, by bike (do you mean bicycle, motor scooter, or motorcycle). Is it a long, rough trip; can it be done in one day? Would a bus ride be better?  Can you do it for the purpose of renewing the 30 day visa at the border town?

Or, Is it better to go by plane to Phnom Penh or Vientiane?    Thanks.

I'm more interested in the road trip to the Cambodian border, by bike (do you mean bicycle, motor scooter, or motorcycle). Is it a long, rough trip; can it be done in one day? Would a bus ride be better? Can you do it for the purpose of renewing the 30 day visa at the border town?
Or, Is it better to go by plane to Phnom Penh or Vientiane?  Thanks.
-@jwdtw

Hi jwdtw.

To answer your question(s), we are discussing the trip via scooter/motorcycle, with the possibility of crossing into Cambodia and back again with a VN registered/licensed "bike".

With regard to your wanting to do what we colloquially refer to as a "border run";

The duration of the trip, and the road conditions, of course depend from where in VN one starts their journey, and to which of the official VN-Cambodia land border crossings one is headed.

Bus rides are a very comfortable (and economical) alternative to "biking".

No, unfortunately you cannot "renew" your 30 day tourist visa at a border crossing, at present. You can exit Vietnam and reenter with your new eVisa. When applying for your new eVisa, ensure you indicate on the application your intended exit/entry points.

To reenter VN you will need to have your passport, a printed copy of your new, already approved eVisa, with an admission to VN date the same as, or prior, to your intended reentry date.

Visa on arrival (VOA) is available at Cambodia Vietnam international land border crossings (there are 5).

Much easier, quicker, cheaper, and interesting (my opinion) to bus/bike than it is to fly. Reentry to VN, as with land crossings, also requires that you have your new printed eVisa in hand.

Hope this helps.

I'm more interested in the road trip to the Cambodian border, by bike (do you mean bicycle, motor scooter, or motorcycle). Is it a long, rough trip; can it be done in one day? Would a bus ride be better? Can you do it for the purpose of renewing the 30 day visa at the border town?

You previously posted that you are interested in Đà Nẵng.

The common border run from this area (Đà Nẵng/Hội An) is to the Lao Bảo crossing.

It's 4 1/2 hours each way by car or bus, though I've heard of bikers doing it in 3 1/2 hours.

Most people do the 30-day eVisa run there by private car or a van arranged by a local visa agent.

Or, Is it better to go by plane to Phnom Penh or Vientiane?  Thanks.
-@jwdtw.

That's pretty expensive because there aren't any non-stop flights from Đà Nẵng to either country.

Instead, an option would be to fly non-stop, round trip Đà Nẵng/Bangkok, currently available for about $165 USD

Only the airlines schedules can tell you if you could swing that on the same day.

However, some people who don't require a regular apartment are staying one month in Vietnam and one month in Thailand (or, Cambodia or Laos) and making that their regular routine, staying in an affordable hotel/apartment with kitchenette for a month at a time.