Importing a motorcycle into Vietnam from the US or Canada

Has anyone done this. I am interested in the whole process - shipping companies, import duties, Documentation required to license the bike in Vietnam, paper work required?

if you can get a used bike in and how many cc's I'd be one very happy person. I so want to get my 250cc scooter over there.

Do you have Shipper address and commodity details?
I work for a Logistics company, maybe I can help you something.

Like any other country laws and legal system are a 'big head ache' of citizens. As so many nations, Vietnam also developing by it's own way. If that motor bike is a rarest of rare valuable you may bring to Vietnam. Because buying an international brand motor bike is not difficult in Vietnam now, even though the cost little more compared to other countries. To import your precious motor bike you may search the previous postings in this forum by our respected members.
Ken Charma

Thanks  - I will check the previous posts. In Nha Trang there is almost no access to the bike I am looking for. In Nha Trang the used bike market is all word of mouth - What website is the rest of Vietnam using to buy and sell motorbikes - or is there a print medium?

I would ship out of the port of either Vancouver Canada or Seattle USA. The commodity is a motorbike 130-180 kilos uncrated. I do not have a shipping company.

scramblin8man wrote:

Thanks  - I will check the previous posts. In Nha Trang there is almost no access to the bike I am looking for. In Nha Trang the used bike market is all word of mouth - What website is the rest of Vietnam using to buy and sell motorbikes - or is there a print medium?

Check this site if you have a Vietnamese friend to help. Otherwise it's difficult to deal with them because of language.

Fellas,

Before you do anything, aside from reading the previous threads on this topic, I also  suggest that you look into the licensing part and duties.  Not too many Vietnamese are allowed to operate motorbikes above 170cc.  And among those who do possess such licenses, not too many possess them legally.  Last but not least, all of those, who ride these performance machines, have serious cash and connection.  They can obtain these toys instantly and can get rid of them on moment notice.  Will you be able to do that?

I have long been a Harley Davidson guy.  I know Vietnam a lot more than the average Joe.  But, I am now riding a 125cc Suzuki and a bicycle.  To me, Vietnam is no place to showcase my horsepowers, and the people here (the bureaucrats) aren't the type that I want to mingle with.  There are just so many better things to do and beautiful people to get to know...

Wild_1 wrote:

I have long been a Harley Davidson guy.  I know Vietnam a lot more than the average Joe.  But, I am now riding a 125cc Suzuki and a bicycle.  To me, Vietnam is no place to showcase my horsepowers, and the people here (the bureaucrats) aren't the type that I want to mingle with.  There are just so many better things to do and beautiful people to get to know...

+1 to this.

As I posted over on the thread about the over 150cc club, the traffic , road conditions, and low speed limits strictly enforced make it not worth having a nice bike here.

saigonmonkey wrote:

As I posted over on the thread about the over 150cc club, the traffic , road conditions, and low speed limits strictly enforced make it not worth having a nice bike here.

Much like having a roadster in VN. I don't know what image those guys are going for, but "douche" pops into my mind.

Really, it's inhumane... what a waste of a car's life.

Thank you I had a look at the site - many good bikes for sale - this will be very helpful.

Thanks for the advice - I have been riding a lot out of Nha Trang - The Nha Trang to Dalat trip has to be among the worlds best motorcycle day trips. I was looking to bring over a 175 to 250 dual sport bike that would work on pavement or dirt and had lots of suspension and bigger wheels and tires for these potholed paved roads, especially when you have to use the number 1 highway. I definitely do not want to attract the attention of the bureaucrats. I have been driving a 110 Honda and it works great except the ride is really rough after a couple hours in the saddle. Probably best to buy a 150 suzuki in Vietnam and modify the suspension, wheels and tires to fit my needs. The site Charmavietnam posted has a huge selection of bikes. Google translate helps on the site but I really have to learn Vietnamese.

dammit I hate it when you're right. Also being a money magnet for traffic police riding above 170cc is not worth it. It's just I have to crate my 250cc scooter and ship it back to Toronto so I figured might as well ship it to Vietnam rather than collecting dust.

Is the Suzuki 125 a GN?

Wild_1 wrote:

Fellas,

Before you do anything, aside from reading the previous threads on this topic, I also  suggest that you look into the licensing part and duties.  Not too many Vietnamese are allowed to operate motorbikes above 170cc.  And among those who do possess such licenses, not too many possess them legally.  Last but not least, all of those, who ride these performance machines, have serious cash and connection.  They can obtain these toys instantly and can get rid of them on moment notice.  Will you be able to do that?

thanhmai296 wrote:

Do you have Shipper address and commodity details?
I work for a Logistics company, maybe I can help you something.

Chet tiet. You're faster than me. Hahahaha

Khanh,

I would get to know one of the guys, who owns a bigger bike, if I were you.  Pick his brain about the A2 license, duties and sport club membership.  Be warned, though, these will be some of the brassier people, so hang in there.  If you can get someone to introduce you to one, then it will get a little easier.

The 125cc bike that I have is a Hayate.

Wild 1:

Was reading thread , have seen some bikes of 250 to 350 cc for sale .
Was told as tourist if you have a motorcycle endorsement can rent , drive there . This might be smaller bikes .
I was going to marry , settle in . This is plan .

So the idea of importing interested me too . A lady I was going to marry when asked her about import of old Saab 900 she would not give answer !
Just got upset ... I thought it was odd behavior .

She has 2 house , Vung Tao , and Saigon .
I was surprised . She drives nice scooter , and bycicle .

There are good used " rare " 250 cc bikes for sale now and again . Vietnam Craigslist .
I am also Harley Rider , Norton , Suzuki , Yamaha .  No BMW yet .
Would like to import GS 1150 .

Vietnam Venice

I think they charge you 100% import tax based on the price of a new motorcycle no matter if the motorcycle looks rusty.

And the fast roads are reserved for cars while 2 wheelers get squeezed into a tight space about a car width apart and ride amongst each other so your GS 1150 will be mingling with the bicycles and cubs.

Is this true in rural regions Plaiku , in hills ?
I think in the more remote areas ( Not Saigon's belly ), you travel at road speed .

Nominal road speed is 35 - 50 mph out on highway . I was looking to purchase a side car Chinese / Russian rig as I need to carry camera gear and lockable is best .

Is there anyone else out there that has knowledge of used side car rigs ? Let me know. 
Otherwise it is Jeep time !  Toyota poweredSurplus Jeep !

Time for Fun !    :D

The mountains would be fun riding a motorcycle. I tackled the Rocky mountain one time on just my 250cc scooter. The sweeping bends are awesome but with a motorcycle tones more fun scraping pegs. I do miss leaning my bike. Here they do just the 90 degree turn.

Khanh

Just got to scrape pegs ! Well at least w/o falling down .
I am coming to meet a fine Lady , and she Hail's from Uncle Ho's home town .
Living in rural mountains are not like Saigon .

So jeep or newer car ????? Or side car rig would work well . I am retiring and living new life .

Must . Life gift !

Cheers ! C.

bepteddy.com/ this site if you have a Vietnamese friend to help. Otherwise it's difficult to deal with them because of language

BepTeddy

Thanks , give it a look see . Cheers ,
VV

OMG!

This I cannot read . Please forgive my lack of knowledge , just a No-Go ...
V.V.

Ok... I collect the driving license of different country and types, even have some FIA racing ones. And yes, i have an A2 license here - it's not a big deal, in fact, just a question of some effort and money.

150cc is enough for city, but i prefer bigger one for a long ride, however, for now ABS is an option for 250+cc.

But seems like even after Nov.2013 new rules of temporary import still not possible to bring 179+ bike here. Even easy to bring a Porsche.
And registration rules is becoming crazy after 2012 as well, so if you buy a bike - you have not register it as well without some local guys support.

Such a mess.... Any ideas?

You sir are a smart person.  No need to stick out to the police or thugs alike.

Crazy Fuss :
You talk like police and thugs dominate life ??
Is Vietnam like a little Pre WWII Hong Kong ?  Corrupt Cops and Gangsters ?
This is not good . Please clarify posting .

V.V.

Da Cabbie ~

We will do business . Some posters make Nam sound like Wild West .
There may be issues but cannot imagine is impossible .
Vietnam is growing nation . All growth has challenges .

V.V.

daCabbie wrote:

To Kahn:

What type of bike do you want to import....maybe its already here....I can find you almost any type of bike in Vietnam....even a 250cc....although the 250 Honda Rebel is tricky to find, because they are popular.

I just want a Suzuki GN 125 because I had one back in Canada and it was fun to ride. But convincing the wife will be tricky when space is limited in the house.

They are one and the same here.

It is the wild west here.  The strong. Survive.  They rest get spat put. I have seen 100s come and 100s go.  I find living here easy.  Mostly because I understand law doesn't mean anything here.  It's only the deal in front of you at that time.

No matter if dealing with schools.,gov,or police and even thugs.  Too many come here and think these people will just love them.  You must build working relationship just like anywhere.

VietnamVenice3260 wrote:

Crazy Fuss :
You talk like police and thugs dominate life ??
Is Vietnam like a little Pre WWII Hong Kong ?  Corrupt Cops and Gangsters ?
This is not good . Please clarify posting .

V.V.

just a quick youtube of American police and Vietnam police (cgst Vietnam) is like day and night.

Well

Relationships I understand . You see I rode with some ... unusual people . They were my Family .
I have had friends that are cops , business people , and ... other .

I do not fit in in acedamia ... am unusual person . I mingle .
Am I strong ?  Don't know . Am damn tough .
Besides ...
If you go to Europe and expect to be loved ? You are fool . Tourist is tourist .
I am NOT tourist .    NO . Different cat .

Simple . V.V.

daCabbie wrote:

to VietnamVenice3260:
You can get a Ural with a sidecar...it has a Russian/Chinese copy of a BMW opposed cylinder engine....and its a 750....there are quite a few in country and already registered.

I own it then i was young. I don't recommend to buy it, if you are not good enough in the mechanical work - it require near-everyday attention.

khanh44 wrote:

I just want a Suzuki GN 125 because I had one back in Canada and it was fun to ride. But convincing the wife will be tricky when space is limited in the house.

Not sure it's a good choice. I rent it for some time, as well as other ones. My favorite for the city drive is Yamaha FZ150i - excellent handling and good 150cc engine. But the price for the new one is about 70M vnd.

If you want the cheaper one, take a look for Rebel Notus - very light and handy bird with a bright sound. I see it for 30-60M VND on the streets here.

I have a Yamaha R15 now, but it's quite long and wide, so it's a bit tricky to run during the rush hours. But good to fly HCM-VT in 1:20-1:30.

Wondering about purchasing a motorcycle in Vancouver not large cc just like the ones there and giving it to my friend I met in hue last year  is it possible

Possible but not worth doing. If you want to make her really happy buy her a made in Vietnam Honda Lead. The build quality is typical Honda and they are an amazing bike. I put 25,000 kilometers on one and it is still like new.

If you are married and spouse live overseas with you; for a time; you are allowed to bring one vehicle back with you.
Go live in USA or Europe , or Canada. Bringbback ANY SIZE BIKE CAR. New purchased only by you or Viet Wife. One.

Last I heard.

Thanks for all this info. I build bicycles with 50_ 80 cc motors  their top speed is only 30 mph. I got a veitnanese family that bought 2 but now wants to shipone to their father in VN .  But it would cost them over 1500 bux to send it . I try to explain explain  but they say their  people can not get anything like these over there.  They said japan and china won't sell to them. How should i try to explain it would cost makes the bikes cost over $2000.00 without hurting their feelings.

I researched this a bit in the US with my shipper. I forget the details , but I recall there is an age restriction and the import duties are very high, like real high. Enough so that I abandoned the idea straight away.

Im considering a move to Vietnam and was really hoping to bring my 48 sportster, do you really think it is not worth it, even if my living situation is more permanent?