Driving licence for foreigner!?

Any foreigner who has successfully got the full Vietnamese driving licence? PLEASE HELP!

I need to get the full vietnam driving licence for  motorcycle and car, so I can then apply for International Driving Permit. I've been told by various agents I need to complete theory and driving test in Vietnamese - I don't speak vietnamese! How can I do this as a foreigner?

I already have converted my home country licence last year to Vietnamese license. It's now expired and can't renew, because home country license also expired.
Has anyone dealt with this before? The main reason is that I want licence with IDP so I can travel abroad and could drive car or motorbike.
Yep, you are screwed because you let your home country license lapse.  You have two choices.  Go home and renew your home country license and then easily convert to VN license.  If you cannot go home you have to take Vietnamese license test in Vietnamese.  One or the other.  No other way around it.
Motorbike is a bit easier A1/A2 where you can get "help" from the usually "agent's" to take the theory test However you still need to do the practical test in the same time 
I think I paid 6M last year for A2 somewhere outside of Hanoi
@JimExpatForum
S Nebraska is correct.  If you desire both an auto and bike license in Vietnam you are required a valid 'state license' with motorcycle endorsement.  To be granted a VN license, you must obtain a valid state license.  I let my auto license expire, but I had on record my VN testing for bike from back in 2007 from Saigon.  My US drivers license expired as well as VN bike license expired...I wrote a letter to the DOT Hanoi explained that I only wanted a bike license and they in return sent me a lifetime VN bike license which I still have. 
To get auto and bike VN...you must have a valid license from your country...or the possiblilty of just getting just a bike license here in VN. Depending upon which state you are from, and the time period license has expired, you might be able to obtain such vis mail.  Due to Covid-19 restrictions, you might be able to get some slack from the local DMV there.  Might be worth the try.
@JimExpatForum
S Nebraska is correct.  If you desire both an auto and bike license in Vietnam you are required a valid 'state license' with motorcycle endorsement.  To be granted a VN license, you must obtain a valid state license.  I let my auto license expire, but I had on record my VN testing for bike from back in 2007 from Saigon.  My US drivers license expired as well as VN bike license expired...I wrote a letter to the DOT Hanoi explained that I only wanted a bike license and they in return sent me a lifetime VN bike license which I still have. 
To get auto and bike VN...you must have a valid license from your country...or the possiblilty of just getting just a bike license here in VN. Depending upon which state you are from, and the time period license has expired, you might be able to obtain such vis mail.  Due to Covid-19 restrictions, you might be able to get some slack from the local DMV there.  Might be worth the try.
- @Anthony64
why do you keep referencing "state" in your reply, the guy is from Lithuania, what has what happens in USA got to do with his post for help?
I just converted yesterday with A1, B1
No agents, easy steps, 135k fee, translation extra
I just converted yesterday with A1, B1
No agents, easy steps, 135k fee, translation extra
- @charmavietnam
Thats if you have a valid overseas licence the OP said theirs had expired so no valid licence to convert. "t's now expired and can't renew, because home country license also expired."
@Andybris2020
I saw the OP but just want to share if someone need to convert their National License to VNL.
Lazy to start another thread :D
@OP You can do it without anything with the 'great help' of an agent (money power), if you want!
Many agents offering IDP with high fee on Facebook! Search there! I remember that it's 5m VND and up
Yes, my A2/B1 license was aslo about 135k but I had valid auto license with motorcycle endorsement from US.  Made getting the A2 license painless.
Yes, my A2/B1 license was aslo about 135k but I had valid auto license with motorcycle endorsement from US.  Made getting the A2 license painless.
- @SteinNebraska
My hometown motorbike license is to ride all kinds of motorcycles with gear including 1000cc up but due to the poor translation gave me just the A1 which is under 175cc and the B1. Anyway it's okay. I was riding without a VN license for the past 12 years. I just need the B1 now. CSGT loves drivers with car 😂
- @SteinNebraska
My hometown motorbike license is to ride all kinds of motorcycles with gear including 1000cc up but due to the poor translation gave me just the A1 which is under 175cc and the B1. Anyway it's okay. I was riding without a VN license for the past 12 years. I just need the B1 now. CSGT loves drivers with car 😂 - @charmavietnam
Do you have a valid car licence for your home country? if so its easy and cheap to convert to VN car licence.
Howz your drone fly going?
@Andybris2020
Yeah, that's why I could convert to B1
Yeah, it's good, thanks!
@Andybris2020
Yeah, that's why I could convert to B1
Yeah, it's good, thanks!
- @charmavietnam
Pm sent
@SteinNebraska

Yep, you're screwed indeed, because you let your home-country licence expire. Silly, yes? Unless you still can fix that, e.g. by going back to your home country and telling the licence people there a sob story about covid travel restrictions, you'll have to go through the Vietnamese system. Many 'agents' will help with that, including the written test, but I don't know any reliable ones (perhaps others on this forum can advise). I went through the whole procedure myself to get a VN car and 150cc motorcycle transfer licence from my Australian car, unlimited motorcycle and unlimited truck licence (they wouldn't give me the truck licence in VN, no great loss). A lot of work doing it myself but very cheap -- I was curious to see what was involved and the paperwork indeed justified the public servants' salaries :-) The big drawback with that was that my VN transfer licences were only valid for the duration of my residence permit and/or Australian licence, whichever came first. 'Proper' VN licences are valid for life if I understand correctly. Good luck!
@SteinNebraska Hi there,  may I just clarify. If you have a full driving licence (in my case UK), that is easily "converted" to a vietnamese licence for about 135K? Could you let me know the process or where I can find the details for this please?
Many thanks in advance!
@SteinNebraska Hi there,  may I just clarify. If you have a full driving licence (in my case UK), that is easily "converted" to a vietnamese licence for about 135K? Could you let me know the process or where I can find the details for this please?
Many thanks in advance!
- @Jkgetlost
If you have a visa/TRC for more than 3 months, go to a local notory office (type in notory office in your google maps) and get a copy of your passport and licence,, then ask for your licence to be translated into Vietnamese, you may have to go back to pick up the translation if they are busy. pay the fee maybe 90-120k get 2 copies of everything then take all of that to Driving License Applications 252 Lý Chính Thắng, Phường 9, Quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, walk to counter put your paperwork into the tray, sit wait for your name, go to counter smile, give the nice lady your 135k sit and wait until the photo lady ask you to come and look at the camera - don't smile, take your receipt and come back and pick up your VN licence on the date on the receipt.

it lasts as long as your home licence or your visa/trc whichever is sooner.
Many thanks in advance!
- @Jkgetlost
the alternative if cost is not the deciding factor is to use a good Agent like Jane, they do everything for you, all you have to do is go to her office with your UK driving Licence & PP, show up at the licence office a couple of days later, ( she will meet you there & do all the paperwork sort of stuff) get your photo taken, pick up your new Vietnamese licence at her office in a week or have it delivered to your home. Fee starts at 1,500,000 vnd depending what you want.
Has anyone done this in Haiphong?
@Jkgetlost I just did return, beginning of March, to Vietnam, with UK driving licence, in HCMC.
(I don't know what does mean full driving licence, but in my case is A, B.)
I went to the "Department of Transport (License Conversion)" with 135vnd, my driving licence original and notarized translation en to vn (did cost me 100k), my passport original and copy, and there I filled a form with my residence address and personal details! That's it all! (I had also 2 pictures 3x4, but they gave me back the pictures, and they made there for me pictures, with their camera!
The form is in English so, you don't have any problem to fulfill!

Don't need to go to anyone to solve that! In 2 weeks I went to the same place to pick up my driving licence A1 and B1! B1 any car up to 3500kg, A1 any motorbike up to 175cc!

Cheers

@Ungarb if you have an address there, you can do it for yourself! :) it's very easy!

Btw, if you want A2, how I know, you need to pass the riding test in Vietnam! For experienced riders I think isn't difficult... the normal test routine (8 shape, straight, slalom and bumps)
Btw, if you want A2, how I know, you need to pass the riding test in Vietnam! For experienced riders I think isn't difficult... the normal test routine (8 shape, straight, slalom and bumps)
- @Sorin.d
Full Licence mean you can ride motorcycle any size in your country & not restricted to just small bikes.
If you take test here and not use an agent to help with the computer part of test you need to read Vietnamese because they test questions are on a computer all in Viet there is no english version.

So the easiest way is like you did convert -
Home licence A1 you get A1 on VN licence
Home licence A2 you get A2 on VN licence
@Andybris2020

If you hold car driving licence and also motorcycle any size, how I know you need to pass just riding test, not computer (legislation) test...! Maybe I'm wrong... but this is what I know :)

Cheers
@Andybris2020

If you hold car driving licence and also motorcycle any size, how I know you need to pass just riding test, not computer (legislation) test...! Maybe I'm wrong... but this is what I know smile.png

Cheers
- @Sorin.d
Thats my understanding too, never heard of expat with full MB & car having to do the computer test. As far as I know you are exempt from the computer test because you have a licence from your own country so they take it you know the theory. Mind you the theory in Vietnam might bear no resemblance to a western theory test. I have heard you might have to take a medical though. My licence here is for a bike up to 175cc & any car or small truck. If I want to have a licence here to match my UK MB licence over 175cc I would have to do the practical test buy I am happy with my 175cc bike here  & never had any test to take or medical.
@Andybris2020

If you hold car driving licence and also motorcycle any size, how I know you need to pass just riding test, not computer (legislation) test...! Maybe I'm wrong... but this is what I know smile.png

Cheers
- @Sorin.d
Thats my understanding too, never heard of expat with full MB & car having to do the computer test. As far as I know you are exempt from the computer test because you have a licence from your own country so they take it you know the theory. Mind you the theory in Vietnam might bear no resemblance to a western theory test. I have heard you might have to take a medical though. My licence here is for a bike up to 175cc & any car or small truck. If I want to have a licence here to match my UK MB licence over 175cc I would have to do the practical test buy I am happy with my 175cc bike here  & never had any test to take or medical. - @goodolboy
@Sorin said "I went to the same place to pick up my driving licence A1 and B1! B1 any car up to 3500kg, A1 any motorbike up to 175cc!
"
A1: motorcycle with engine size from 50cc to 175cc
A2: motorcycle with engine size larger than 175cc

If you already have a home licence with motorcycle (A) you can just convert it to a VN licence no test, as far as I know UK motorcycle licence is "A" which is the same as A2 here which is any motorcycle any size.

If you have "A1" or if you have "restricted" motorcycle licence like we have in Australia you only get an A1 VN licence.

@Steinnebraska "Yes, my A2/B1 license was aslo about 135k but I had valid auto license with motorcycle endorsement from US. Made getting the A2 license painless."

So @Sorin should have got an A2 endorsment on his VN licence seeing that he has passed a motorcycle test in UK.

If you dont have a Motorcycle endorsement on your home licence you need to do test, or if you have an A1/restricted licence & want A2 then you need to do the test here (unless you buy a licence wink wink).

As far as I have heard people who had unrestricted motorcycle licences and rode larger bikes converted theirs and got an A2 licence and could ride anything here.

I didnt say anyone with a home motorcycle licence had to do a test here - all they do is convert it to VN, I said IF you do the test here then there is a section where you have to read the screen fill in the answers in Vietnamese.
@Andybris2020  IF you do the test here then there is a section where you have to read the screen fill in the answers in Vietnamese.

Are you trying to say you have personally done this or is it just something you have pluck from the internet?

& I said I have never heard of any ex pat here having to do the computer test to convert to get A2,  fact no great lecture about it from our resident Vietnam expert & you would need a degree to understand & I personally  have only heard of people having to do the  practical.....OK....got it ?

@Andybris2020

I have full UK DL, but I applied for A1, honestly, I didn't even try to request A2, I own a brand new air blade 125cc so, not interested in A2. :)
How I said, that was what I knew it (for A2 need to pass the ride test), but this doesn't mean I can't be wrong! Anyway, when anybody goes to the department of transportation, where they issue the driving licence, can ask about that... I mean can ask if is enough just to convert a full dl to have A2 here!
@Andybris2020  IF you do the test here then there is a section where you have to read the screen fill in the answers in Vietnamese.

Are you trying to say you have personally done this or is it just something you have pluck from the internet?

& I said I have never heard of any ex pat here having to do the computer test to convert to get A2,  fact no great lecture about it from our resident Vietnam expert & you would need a degree to understand & I personally  have only heard of people having to do the  practical.....OK....got it ?

- @goodolboy
It is well known that if you go to the test center in HCMC to do the A1 or A2 test (if you DO NOT have a motorcycle licence) there is a practicle and a computer section - others have talked about it on the forum many times on how to get a bike licence if they do not have one at home and want a VN licence, also members have spoken about getting an A2 for riding bigger bikes, if you already have a VN A1 you can just do the A2 test ride.

GOB you keep saying "I have never heard of any ex pat here having to do the computer test to convert to get A2"

I didnt say you need to do the test to CONVERT to A2 if you have a home Full motorcycle licence, you just go and pay your 135k and convert it.

You only have to do the test (ride) if you do not have A2 or if you do not have an existing Motorcycle licence to convert (test & computer).

as it was mentioned by Stein in post #2 above,, if you dont have a licence to convert you need to do the test which is in vietnamese.

Go back and have a read you will see I never said any ex-pat had to do a test to convert his home licence.

Yes it is 100% correct (ask Trev at Saigon or any well known bike shop) there is a computer test if you DONT have a bike licence and there are "agents" who help with the computer part for a fee.

- @goodolboy
"Are you trying to say you have personally done this or is it just something you have pluck from the internet?"

Yes - ive done the test in the testing center in HCMC and yes I have a lifetime VN A1 licence.

No - I didnt pluck it from the internet - I did the test.

@Andybris2020 thank you! This is really helpful. I just need to find the equivalent offices in DaNang :)

@Sorin.d thanks for your answer. Really helpful! Actually during the conversion did they take your UK licence or did you get to keep your UK licence? So that you have both a UK and VN driving licence now?

@Sorin.d thanks for your answer. Really helpful! Actually during the conversion did they take your UK licence or did you get to keep your UK licence? So that you have both a UK and VN driving licence now?

- @Jkgetlost

Not Sorin but you keep your old license as well.  There's no reason they would take it as it's another government's property.

Remember, your VN license will only be effective for the duration of your visa, TRC or VEC as well as the validity of your current country's license, whichever is shorter.
Once obtained the VN'ese license, prior to lapse, how does the renewal process goes?
a) Will it be the same formalities again - notorised of passport and license and to the counter in completing the process or
b) Just furnished the renewal TRC / Visa together with the lapsed license to the counter

TIA.
Once obtained the VN'ese license, prior to lapse, how does the renewal process goes?
a) Will it be the same formalities again - notorised of passport and license and to the counter in completing the process or
b) Just furnished the renewal TRC / Visa together with the lapsed license to the counter

TIA.
- @alexneoh
Which do you mean?

A DL prior to lapsing or after lapsing?

TIA.
- @alexneoh
Which do you mean?

A DL prior to lapsing or after lapsing?
- @OceanBeach92107

Can be either condition as not sure whether is it permissible to renew the DL even before it lapse. Back home, it can be done.

TIA.
- @alexneoh

Yes, same, just show copies of new valid docs,, licence lasts until docs end,,, overseas licence or trc which ever soonest
I apologize for the offtopic. 1f64f.svg I want to ask you for advice. I will arrive in Vietnam in the next 7 days.

I have a valid national license issued from the country of origin (ROMANIA in my case, EU valid) and I want to be able to drive LEGALLY in Vietnam.

I will be a tourist because I will stay in Vietnam for 1 month. Is it possible to obtain an A&B driving license (my license already has valid A&B categories) and to drive legally? 1f914.svg

Moreover, would it be possible for me to obtain (in addition to obtaining a driver's license from Vietnam), an International Driving Licence that I intend to use in Bali or the Philippines (my next destinations)?

Thank you very much for your time! I appreciate the help! 1f60e.svg

Unfortunately, I really did not find information on this subject...
I apologize for the offtopic. 1f64f.svg I want to ask you for advice. I will arrive in Vietnam in the next 7 days.

I have a valid national license issued from the country of origin (ROMANIA in my case, EU valid) and I want to be able to drive LEGALLY in Vietnam.

I will be a tourist because I will stay in Vietnam for 1 month. Is it possible to obtain an A&B driving license (my license already has valid A&B categories) and to drive legally? 1f914.svg

Moreover, would it be possible for me to obtain (in addition to obtaining a driver's license from Vietnam), an International Driving Licence that I intend to use in Bali or the Philippines (my next destinations)?

- @Alex_ROM

By the rime you copy & notarize docs, take to licence office, pay and wait 10 days you wont have much of your 30 days left.

I dont think they will issue a VN licence for 1 month e-visa, minimum is 3 months.

- @Alex_ROM
Aside from the good advice given by Andy, you won't be able to find anyone who will rent a private car to a foreigner without also hiring a Vietnamese driver.

- @Alex_ROM

By the rime you copy & notarize docs, take to licence office, pay and wait 10 days you wont have much of your 30 days left.

I dont think they will issue a VN licence for 1 month e-visa, minimum is 3 months.

- @Andybris2020
For my case, even with 3 months visa and still unable to convert / obtain the local DL let alone 1 month. As alternative, getting IDL ( issuance of IAA ) in VN instead and its not without doubt. Some say it's valid and some say not recognisable at all despite Vietnam is listed inside the booklet. Well till date ( touch wood ), haven't being stop by any local police and therefore the genuinity of my IDL is yet to be determine. So much so, the person in yellow uniform here is a little unique where discharging its authoritarian is based on its soul feeling. Therefore I doubt your national license or the IDL will do any better here.

Any yes, my IDL stated that Indonesia and Philippine is covered. As for it's legality, you may need to check up the forum accord to the country base.

1f60c.svg