Problems with Grab

I was to meet someone at the airport last Friday night so I set up Grab with a pick-up place and destination. I was set, or so I thought. I went to the pick-up place and pulled the trigger on Grab. No Go. Grab wanted a CC#. Gave it my MC CC#. No Go. It wanted my debit card number. No Go, No Way, ain't doing that.

I made it to the airport on VinaSun but at twice the fare quoted by Grab.

Am I to forego using Grab until I get a Viet debit card or is there another way to fund a Grab account? Is there an office nearby where I can place money on deposit? What are my options?

Unlike Uber, Grab Taxi accept cash payments. You just book your trip, take the ride, pay in VND cash and get your change. Just make sure you have small notes for payment. You can buy credit with Grab but I have never used that payment feature.

Never give you CC details to people like that. Vietnam is very cash money oriented. I only use my CC and Viet debit card with online purchases.

Question #6 on their FAQ page says you can't top up with a CC.
https://help.grab.com/hc/vi/articles/11 … path=N%2FA

I continue to pay in cash. Can't say if cash option is disabled when MOCA is activated. Otherwise that could be your second option.

They have a rep office in D10. Not sure if they receive cash deposit though.

Công Ty TNHH Grab
268 Tô Hiến Thành, P.15,
Q.10, TP Hồ Chí Minh
Mã số doanh nghiệp: 0312650437
Đại Diện Công Ty: Lim Yen Hock
Chức vụ: Giám Đốc

Jim-Minh wrote:

I was to meet someone at the airport last Friday night so I set up Grab with a pick-up place and destination. I was set, or so I thought. I went to the pick-up place and pulled the trigger on Grab. No Go. Grab wanted a CC#. Gave it my MC CC#. No Go. It wanted my debit card number. No Go, No Way, ain't doing that.

I made it to the airport on VinaSun but at twice the fare quoted by Grab.

Am I to forego using Grab until I get a Viet debit card or is there another way to fund a Grab account? Is there an office nearby where I can place money on deposit? What are my options?

You didn't search first, huh?

;)

Check out this recent thread

Pay particular attention to the difference between using MOCA as a "payment source" and using a credit card WITHOUT using MOCA.

I used it three times today, paying with my MC on file with them.

Works great.

OB, without the good luck of flagging down a taxi on the street I'd still be waiting there. I did the search and filled out the form and had my ducks in a row. I read your post on Expat and your 400,000 vnd account balance. Without a debit card or a FB acct they wouldn't go past square one. There just seems to be no way for a new account to schedule a pickup without being "verified". BTW, I don't do FB. I'll try to call them tomorrow and see if there's a way to get past the DC gauntlet.

Jim-Minh wrote:

OB, without the good luck of flagging down a taxi on the street I'd still be waiting there. I did the search and filled out the form and had my ducks in a row. I read your post on Expat and your 400,000 vnd account balance. Without a debit card or a FB acct they wouldn't go past square one. There just seems to be no way for a new account to schedule a pickup without being "verified". BTW, I don't do FB. I'll try to call them tomorrow and see if there's a way to get past the DC gauntlet.

My "advice" is that you clear the app data, uninstall it, then reinstall it and don't click on anything that says "MOCA" or "GRAB Pay".

Make sure the CREDIT card you want to use has a travel advisory added for Vietnam.

Then:

1. Choose the "car" or "bike" option in the app.

2. Map any trip in HCMC area (remember, GRAB only works in five specific areas of Vietnam; for instance, it works in Đà Nẵng but NOT in Huế).

3. Click on the "cash" button

4. Click "add payment method"

5. Click "credit/debit card"

6. Add your CREDIT card (ATM/DEBIT card won't work as a payment source)

7. Once you've added your card, close the app.

8. Open the app again when you need to take a trip.

9. Select "car" or "bike".

10. Map your trip.

11. Click the "cash" button (yes, this is similar to clicking the start button to stop windows)

12. Now the last 4 of your credit card and the card logo should appear as a payment option.

13. Click it.

14. Enter any promo codes you have,

15. Book it!

Have fun!

I pay cash for Grab too.
If you don't use it every day, that's fine, I think.

For Grab users perhaps interesting:
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/world/busi … 54408.html

Just wake up the xe om driver parked on the corner. When you find a good one, get their phone number.

A new Grab Bike promo today:
Use promo code

GB15K

to get 15K off your fare, once a day, up to ten times, until December 31st.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

A new Grab Bike promo today:
Use promo code

GB15K

to get 15K off your fare, once a day, up to ten times, until December 31st.

Only for certain areas. It says ...
Áp dụng cho dịch vụ GrabBike tại Buôn Mê Thuột, Đà Nẵng, Nha Trang, Cần Thơ, Quảng Ninh, Hải Phòng

I have the secret formula for Grab now. Just had a great experience. Everything works now. Thanks OB & JR.

Jim-Minh wrote:

I have the secret formula for Grab now. Just had a great experience. Everything works now. Thanks OB & JR.

What about Andy???

:(:lol:

You too Andy. I didn't scroll back far enough.

It all works well now.

Thanks so much to you all.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Off-Topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct