Buying a small motorbike

My vietnamese girlfriend wants to buy a new motorbike and I am trying to help her. However, I won't be in Vietnam until  next month and besides, I know nothing about motorbikes. I have tried  looking up prices online but once I put in my location and they realise I'm a westerner the price jumps by two or three million.

She is talking about a Honda Wave, so my questions are: does anyone have any experience of this bike and what would be a realistic price to pay for one, either brand new or very nearly new. She lives fairly near Saigon.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm.

2022 Wave- Alpha will run you about 17 million VND (up to 18.5 if you dress it up)
2022 Wave- RSX expect to pay 22 million +
Side-by-side comparison found here (click "English" at top right of page to translate specs)

Though scooters aren't suitable for my bike needs, I do like the spine/underbone frame of this bike. Much tougher than the (I forget the term) level foot-platform frames. Also, for less experienced/aggressive riders, both versions of the Wave have a wet clutch, as well as a centrifugal clutch. The wet clutch (handle grip, left hand side) being engaged only if/when shifting gears (4 gears). Many riders will leave it in (usually) 3rd gear, from start to stop, all day long. No need to engage the wet clutch when stopped, nor releasing when taking off from a stop.

Every bike shop knows these bikes like the back of their hand. Parts are easy to source. Tires and tubes are a common size.

IMHO, a nice little 110cc (RSX) or 100cc (Alpha) economical bike for running around town. And since it's from Honda, you can count on it.
I have owned a Wave RSX and Future, both great little bikes. If your gf is going to be riding a lot around Saigon I would suggest a Honda Vision or Lead scooter. Vision is cheaper than a Lead, both are very good.
I have owned a Wave RSX and Future, both great little bikes. If your gf is going to be riding a lot around Saigon I would suggest a Honda Vision or Lead scooter. Vision is cheaper than a Lead, both are very good.
- @colinoscapee

Had both vision and lead agree both great the step part is way better for shopping as its out the way of being hit, lead has a 38l luggage space under seat.

Saigon has different plates so will be more expensive to same bikes outside Saigon look here for all bikes and prices/taxes etc giaxe.2banh.vn/

https://i.postimg.cc/bNfFDSbC/wave.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/zXw2nDFJ/wave-rsx.jpg

Just ask her to go to the local Honda Head shop (main Honda dealers) in her area they are everywhere and she can compare the bikes, luggage space ease of getting on off etc.

It's easy just tell sales guy what you want pay do paperwork and your done there is no haggling etc they dont do that with new bikes, you may get a few freebies - helmet rain coat etc but unlikly she will get a discount unless there is some kind of promo on the bike.

Is she living in her hometown now (near Saigon) as after she buys if local she goes to police station to get plates if not the paperwork goes to her hometown and the plates get sent back to dealer for pickup, without the plates you cant ride the bike (many do but if cops pull you they can fine you - unless taking bike to police to inspect befoe giving the plates)
My vietnamese girlfriend wants to buy a new motorbike and I am trying to help her. However, I won't be in Vietnam until  next month and besides, I know nothing about motorbikes. I have tried  looking up prices online but once I put in my location and they realise I'm a westerner the price jumps by two or three million.

She is talking about a Honda Wave, so my questions are: does anyone have any experience of this bike and what would be a realistic price to pay for one, either brand new or very nearly new. She lives fairly near Saigon.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm
- @Malcolmleitrim

Honda Wave, because they are the most common/popular, probably most reliable bike, simple and cheap to get repaired anywhere, lightweight bc no automatic trans, better gas mileage bc no auto trans, easy to move around and drive in narrow places because lightweight, seat is a narrower and lower to the ground than the Vespa-style Vision which is good for short people. My wife only likes the Wave for those reasons, she is short and needs a smaller bike so that when stopped she can stand more safely (still not both fleet flat on the ground tho.)  We got a Future instead (souped up Wave) for more power for us to ride together.  I assume your gf knows how to ride one, the semi-auto transmission has an automatic clutch but manual shifting, requires some left-foot work, it is easy.

It sounds like she doesn't have family or friends here to help her? As she might appreciate your help (Vietnamese culture has male female roles), my first suggestion is for her to rent a motorbike for a month until you get here. They rent for about 1mill a month, maybe 1.5 now. [I bought a new Yamaha 4 years ago, sold it 2 years later, my amortized cost was 1 mill / month).

Buying a used Honda is a good idea if it is under 2 years old. During that time it is under warranty, so owners will have taken it to the dealer for free service (unless they crashed it). Older than that, and you have to consider that Vietnam has mostly poor people and there is a good chance that uncle Tran or the sixteen year old has monkeyed with it, or they skipped maintenance altogether to save money.

The only places I would trust to buy a used Honda (remember poor people take shortcuts) is at one of the expat-owned dealers. Saigon Motorcycles is one in Thao Dien. New Vietnamese Hondas are sold at the Head Honda monopoly. (There are also import dealers of other models, it's complicated). A new dealer won't charge a foreigner more, the prices are fixed.

I was going to give you the url to honda.com.vn but I see that I can't reach it from the US (I'm in Saigon at the moment with VPN to US) until I turned of my VPN, so maybe the IP is blocked to overseas people??

If you are going to ride with her, remember Vietnamese culture has male female roles and she will want you to be the driver. Get motorcycle qualified and your foreign drivers license to indicate your motorcycle qualification, so you can get a Vietnamese driver's license easily.

Thanks everyone for your help. My girlfriend lives and works in Long Thanh at the moment, she has family but not nearby so they are not much help to her. Her old motorbike has broken down and she was talking about buying a second hand one from one of her colleagues, which prompted me to suggest helping her to buy a new one. As Gobot has suggested, I feel that a second hand motorbike bought from a male colleague that she barely knows might be risky, and I am happy to help her with the extra expense of a new one.

It seems that the Honda Wave would be just what she needs for travelling to work and back, she is never going to go very far or very fast. I'm still not clear what the difference is between the Alpha and the RSX however, I've looked at the page Aidan suggested but I'm none the wiser.

I've now figured out how to compare the specs, thank you Aidan.
@Malcolmleitrim

You're welcome, Malcolm.

I'd go for the RSX. When/if you are both on the bike, the Alpha's 97cc might (will!) prove to be woefully underpowered.
Though the RSX displacement is only 12cc' larger, the difference will be very noticeable.
(a general rule of thumb is 2 X the cc = 3+ X the horsepower. I'll let you do the math for the 12cc increase :) )

Another plus (IMHO) of the RSX is the front disk brake, as opposed to the Alpha's front drum brake. A lot less maintenance, and a lot more dependable.

Both Waves have those nice, big(ish) 17" tires which make potholes much easier/safer to negotiate. Very smooth ride compared to scooters with smaller tires. The RSX alloy rims are tough as nails, and even though your lady might not ride the bike in a way which leads to broken or bent spokes on the Alpha, there's still the concern that over time any damage or loosening of the spokes could make the rim no longer true. (both front and rear tires on the Waves are shown as "tubeless", but you can use a tube safely if need be).

Please let us know what you and your lady eventually decide on, the price (if you wish), and once a few kilometers have been logged, your impression(s).
@Malcolmleitrim

You're welcome, Malcolm.

I'd go for the RSX. When/if you are both on the bike, the Alpha's 97cc might (will!) prove to be woefully underpowered.
Though the RSX displacement is only 12cc' larger, the difference will be very noticeable.
(a general rule of thumb is 2 X the cc = 3+ X the horsepower. I'll let you do the math for the 12cc increase smile.png )

Another plus (IMHO) of the RSX is the front disk brake, as opposed to the Alpha's front drum brake. A lot less maintenance, and a lot more dependable.

Both Waves have those nice, big(ish) 17" tires which make potholes much easier/safer to negotiate. Very smooth ride compared to scooters with smaller tires. The RSX alloy rims are tough as nails, and even though your lady might not ride the bike in a way which leads to broken or bent spokes on the Alpha, there's still the concern that over time any damage or loosening of the spokes could make the rim no longer true. (both front and rear tires on the Waves are shown as "tubeless", but you can use a tube safely if need be).

Please let us know what you and your lady eventually decide on, the price (if you wish), and once a few kilometers have been logged, your impression(s).
- @Aidan in HCMC

Thanks Aidan,

I agree with all your comments especially  regarding  the engine size and the front disc brake and I have recommended the RSX to Nhung. I have suggested that she calls a few different places for their prices and I will certainly post a result if we get one.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Malcolm

Hi Malcom,

Hope below stated link may assist if you are looking for a pre-own bike.
- [link moderated]/
Here, you could select the location of yours to browse the "poison" pop up one and another.

Newly arrived last month, brought a bike ( Honda - Air Blade 110cc, at VND14 mil where it has served last 10 years to be precise ) in Hai Phuong. Initially tried to do bike shop hopping to no avail and thereafter my colleague recommended this website. Found this bike at this site but initially seem a bit fishy as the seller is operating a Cam Do ( pawn shop if I interpret correctly ) which I need to pay a visit to assess the bike. Nevertheless assurance given by my colleague as clinching the deal, the seller will issue a note - GIAY BAN XE ( specifying the details of the bike and the transaction details ). Should myself run into any detrimental circumstances, this piece of paper will help beside showing the original "Motorbike Registration Certificate" ( a blue piece of laminated card ) which is equivalent to Ownership Certificate. Unfortunately being a "người nước ngoài", could not transfer the ownership to my name. Seems that I have to look for a better half soon... ( haha... figured another lame excuse ) else status quo is the prevailing option.

Set back... yup... pre-own has it setback. Like Gobot stated, VN'ese really do know how to monkeyed with bike. My 2 cents... majority know how to priorities on cosmetic that does not involve $$$, everything else is secondary. Even a spoilt rear end bulb will be hesitantly replace let alone other major components of the bike. Safety aspects maybe long forgotten or probably financial constraint is what I'm guessing.

Well... with additional of VND250K on my bike for bulbs, "tranny" ( as this is an auto bike ) and oil change ( mentally prepared as supposedly a liquefy oil may dissipate enormously or transform into a gel form ) and couple with a VND20K wash, hell yeah, doing ~90km/h during last weekend to Cat Ba and return unscathed. Maybe a good bargain for next 3 to 5 years or more for such a bike??? Hope I make the correct bet... cheers.

Alex.

@Malcolmleitrim

Hi Malcolm,

Here's a story I wrote for Citypassguide some four years ago. It's not entirely relevant in your case and some of it is probaby out of date (I no longer live in Vietnam), but perhaps you'll find some of the points useful. In the years I lived in Saigon I alternated between my three second-hand Hondas bought from expats (a CBF150 for country touring, an @150 scooter -- a great bike around town even three-up -- and a beautiful custom SS67), and I can concur with comments from others about the Honda HEAD dealerships: they always provided me with great, reliable service. One point I would add is that the belt-drive automatics are easy and great around town, but if longer rides are on the agenda, it's worth considering a chain-drive with manual gear shifts. Belt drives have been known to snap due to heat build-up at prolonged high speeds. Anyway, here goes:

------------------------------

Intro:

Everyone in HCMC rides a motorbike. How do you join them?

Body text:

You move to HCMC and soon notice that the seemingly chaotic traffic is quite civilised without
necessarily adhering to road rules, and there's very little if any road rage. The give-and-take seems to
work well. Just make sure you give-and-take as well, and don't worry about the ‘rules' in your home
country.

After all, they've grown up on two wheels in the traffic here literally since they were babies.

You also realise that some sort of motorbike could be very useful, and that nothing beats it for speed
and ease.

If you can ride a bike yourself and are only here for a few months, by all means rent. You won't have to
worry about maintenance –- just put petrol in the thing and hope that the ‘renter/owner' is reliable and
takes care of it if anything goes wrong.

But it makes far more financial sense after about six months to buy and sell when you leave.

Unfortunately you'll need a Vietnamese motorbike licence if you want to ride yourself and not have to
rely on Grab and Uber. These services are fairly safe (use your own helmet rather than who-knows-what
has worn it before), but like renting, it soon becomes cheaper to do it yourself.

You don't need a licence for anything under 50cc, which may be enough for city traffic if you don't carry
too many passengers. Otherwise, you'll have to convert your foreign licence or get a local one. The
legalities of foreign licences and International Driving Permits are unclear -– government announcements
seem subject to different interpretations (welcome to Vietnam), and police on the ground may be
characteristically ignorant of them (ditto).

You can do this either yourself for a few tens of dollars if you're willing to run around for lots of make-
work bureaucracy, or go through an agent for a few hundred dollars where you still need to run around
a bit with them. At least they'll take care of the theory test in Vietnamese if you don't have a foreign
bike licence, but you still have to do the giggle-inducing practice test yourself –- see Google Videos.

Keep in mind that if you convert a foreign licence without the theory and practice tests, it's only valid for
the duration of your visa or foreign licence, whichever comes first. That's a real headache at renewal
time, so you may want to try and get a ‘proper', unlimited Vietnamese licence if you're going to be here
for a few years. Hundreds of dollars…

Either way, get the mandatory third-party insurance, less than VND 100k a year, sold by women (always
women) by the side of the road. The police like to see that. Much more importantly, however, check
your own medical insurance about riding a bike, and the license(s) you need to hold.

Tip: keep a secondary wallet with about VND200,000 for police pay-offs, and photocopies of your
Vietnamese licence and mandatory insurance (never the originals). “Sorry Sir, VND200,000 is all I have.”
Don't give the “yellow cops” the originals, and make sure you pull the key out of the ignition as soon as
they stop you.

Scooter or ‘Proper' Motorbike?

Many foreigners and aspirational Vietnamese want Vespas, especially the vintage two-strokes with their
tiny, dangerously unstable wheels. Modern Vespas are more stable, like their (much cheaper) Asian
counterparts. Scooters have the advantage of bodywork (floorboards, leg shields) that keeps you
relatively dry on flooded roads.

‘Real' motorbikes have larger wheels that are more stable through potholes and over bumps, and are
more comfortable for country trips. Many popular models provide the best of both worlds with large
wheels and some bodywork.

What to Look for?

Depending on specifications, you can buy a popular Honda Wave (motorbike, little water protection)
brand-new from around US$800, or a Honda Airblade with some bodywork from US$1,400, right up to a
delectable Honda SH150 for US$4,000. Yamaha Nouvos and Suzuki Hayates are other sensible choices.
Taiwanese Sym Attilas are popular too, though their tiny wheels are less than ideal. A new Piaggio
(Vespa) will set you back around US$6,000.

Maintenance is cheap, except for some spare parts -– and especially expensive on Vespas.

Steer clear of the China-built Honda Win 110cc, advertised by backpackers who come down from Hanoi
two-up with luggage and are keen to get rid of them before their flight back home. These bikes don't
have the legendary reliability of ‘proper' Hondas.

If you buy second-hand, do it from an expat who knows a bit about bikes, or at least from someone who
understands the importance of regular maintenance –- not just someone who only visits a workshop
when something breaks down (depressingly common here). Servicing receipts are priceless.

Regular engine oil changes are crucial -– the oil breaks down quick smart at low speeds in stop-go city
traffic. Caring owners change the oil monthly or every 1,000km, which takes less than 10 minutes at a
dealer for VND100k max.

Also look for clean air filters and decent tyres, along with a near-new battery (batteries don't last long in
this heat).

Where to Buy?

If you can afford to buy new, see what the official dealers can offer. Go there in person and bring a
Vietnamese-speaker. Do an all-in offer with cash on the table. Avoid their second-hand bikes, you don't
know the history.

Try to get the bike registered in your name, which may or may not be possible without a Vietnamese
partner -– see how you go. Until recently, if you bought a bike second-hand, holding the blue registration
card was proof of ownership, regardless of the named first owner three steps removed. Apparently this
is now illegal, but no-one really knows. Again, welcome to Vietnam.

Expats advertise second-hand on anphuneighbours.com and phumyhungneighbours.com (find them
through Google Groups), or on
https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/as … bikes.html and several other such
sites.

Make sure the sellers have cared a bit about servicing, and check all details on the registration card!
Any Vietnamese girl know how to buy a Motorbike and what to buy . . . . Just give her a good budget 
Any Vietnamese girl know how to buy a Motorbike and what to buy . . . . Just give her a good budget 
- @Frede001

Seeing it's the main mode of transport for the masses, any VN family member over 18 know how to buy one - all you have to do is send the money and within hrs they will be riding a bike.
- @Frede001

Thank you, she was thinking about buying a second hand one from a colleague but I am trying to persuade her that new might be a better option in the long term.
@robvan

Thank you for that story, the motorbike is not for me, I'm just trying to help my girlfriend. 
@robvan

Thank you for that story, the motorbike is not for me, I'm just trying to help my girlfriend. 
- @Malcolmleitrim

If secondhand then try to get something less than 3 years old it's lost the new buyer premium so it's cheaper, but not so old it is likely to need fixing if it's been cared for, 100% check if it's had the services if not tell her to walk away, no one wants to ride a bike thats never had it's oil changed.

Or say you would like to help her but prefer the trouble free purchasing of a new bike, set her a budget and up to her what she picks.
@robvan

- @Malcolmleitrim

If secondhand then try to get something less than 3 years old it's lost the new buyer premium so it's cheaper, but not so old it is likely to need fixing if it's been cared for, 100% check if it's had the services if not tell her to walk away, no one wants to ride a bike thats never had it's oil changed.

Or say you would like to help her but prefer the trouble free purchasing of a new bike, set her a budget and up to her what she picks.
- @Andybris2020

Never met a Vietnamese that keeps a record or register of oil changes on their bikes incl my GF. She used to do an oil change every month with 200km on the oil or 2k km on the oil made no difference!

When I go get my regular oil changes done & demand that they stamp the register book they have a good laugh but do it. Spoke to a Vietnamese friend about it just the other day & he just laughed & said for a cat yes but a moto.....he said he never knew anyone who  did it.
If your GF changed her oil once a month, she probably did so more frequently than most Vietnamese.
@robvan

- @Malcolmleitrim

- @Andybris2020

Never met a Vietnamese that keeps a record or register of oil changes on their bikes incl my GF. She used to do an oil change every month with 200km on the oil or 2k km on the oil made no difference!

When I go get my regular oil changes done & demand that they stamp the register book they have a good laugh but do it. Spoke to a Vietnamese friend about it just the other day & he just laughed & said for a cat yes but a moto.....he said he never knew anyone who  did it.
- @goodolboy

I said "Service" as in log book service where they check bolts, tyres, air filter etc, which also contains an oil change,, not the in between oil changes, If you get your scheduled service at Honda Head they take out log book and stamp it everytime.

I've never had to ask, it's stamped and handed back to put back in bike on payment.

Her sister never takes her's in for a scheduled service only oil changes so no log book is not stamped.

I always got a sticker put under the seat to show when the next oil change was due. Works a treat, even on old bikes.
@robvan

- @Malcolmleitrim

- @Andybris2020

- @goodolboy

I said "Service" as in log book service where they check bolts, tyres, air filter etc, which also contains an oil change,, not the in between oil changes, If you get your scheduled service at Honda Head they take out log book and stamp it everytime.

I've never had to ask, it's stamped and handed back to put back in bike on payment.

Her sister never takes her's in for a scheduled service only oil changes so no log book is not stamped.

- @Andybris2020

Just shows the difference between Honda & Suzuki then, mine gets regular service & oil change since new at main Suzuki main dealer beside the airport  & always have to ask & I will still put money on it that very few Vietnamese keep even a service log. But hey you are the Vietnam expert so you must know best & I am probably wrong.
@robvan

- @Malcolmleitrim

- @Andybris2020

- @goodolboy

- @Andybris2020

Just shows the difference between Honda & Suzuki then, mine gets regular service & oil change since new at main Suzuki main dealer beside the airport  & always have to ask & I will still put money on it that very few Vietnamese keep even a service log. But hey you are the Vietnam expert so you must know best & I am probably wrong.
- @goodolboy

"Just shows the difference between Honda & Suzuki then"  stating the obvious...

In 2021, the revenue of the motorcycle industry in Vietnam lay at around 4.4 billion U.S. dollars.
Market share of motorcycle manufacturers in Vietnam in 2021, based on revenue.
Characteristic    Martket share
Honda Motorcycles    79.3%
Yamaha    18.9%
Piaggio    1.1%
Suzuki Motorcycles    0.4%

Probably why there is a Honda Head on just about every main road, great bikes and great service.
@robvan

- @Malcolmleitrim

- @Andybris2020

- @goodolboy

- @Andybris2020

- @goodolboy

"Just shows the difference between Honda & Suzuki then"  stating the obvious...

In 2021, the revenue of the motorcycle industry in Vietnam lay at around 4.4 billion U.S. dollars.
Market share of motorcycle manufacturers in Vietnam in 2021, based on revenue.
Characteristic    Martket share
Honda Motorcycles    79.3%
Yamaha    18.9%
Piaggio    1.1%
Suzuki Motorcycles    0.4%

Probably why there is a Honda Head on just about every main road, great bikes and great service.
- @Andybris2020

Oh thanks for more stats from the internet, very enlightening.
@robvan

- @Malcolmleitrim

"...the motorbike is not for me YET,..."   :)

I'll bet ya' a nickel you'll be riding, soon enough.

Do let us know how it all turns out, Malcolm. This thread has generated quite a few views. Those enquiring minds, well you know, they're rumoured to want to know.
@robvan

- @Malcolmleitrim

"...the motorbike is not for me YET,..."   smile.png

I'll bet ya' a nickel you'll be riding, soon enough.

Do let us know how it all turns out, Malcolm. This thread has generated quite a few views. Those enquiring minds, well you know, they're rumoured to want to know.
- @Aidan in HCMC

My girlfriend has decided to wait until I arrive in Vietnam on Saturday, so we will look at motorbikes next week. I would be leaning towards a new Honda Wave RSX, but Nhung is very careful about spending money, so we will see. I will definitely let you all know how it turns out.
HI everyone,

For Aidan in HCMC who asked and anyone else who would like to know, I arrived in Vietnam yesterday evening and today we went motorbike shopping. We ended up with a Honda Wave RSX with spoked wheels, electronic fuel injection and a front disc brake. The cost was 26.4 m VND including registration. The whole transaction was easily and painlessly accomplished in a Honda main dealership.

Thanks to everyone for your help, now if only I could get money out of the ATM we'd be in clover!
@Malcolmleitrim

Congratulations, and thank you for the update Malcolm!
A very nice bike, indeed. I'll bet she was proud as a peacock to show it off once home :)
Make sure you follow the maintenance schedule, through the dealership, and this bike will last a very long time.

Re the ATM. Were you aware that many ATMs will dispense a maximum of 3,000,000 VND at a time to foreign cards? I've had the best luck with Sacombank and BIDV.
...now if only I could get money out of the ATM we'd be in clover!
- @Malcolmleitrim
MB Bank usually has a ₫5,000,000 VNĐ limit per withdrawal.

I have previously withdrawn ₫25,000,000 VNĐ at one time (5 back-to-back withdrawals in Quy Nhơn) using my Schwab Visa debit card.

My ATM fees for that are routinely rebated, so I prefer to avoid the other option:

Take your Visa/MasterCard debit card and your passport into a bank and ask for a cash advance, which may cost as much as 3% in fees.

It will depend upon the specific card you are using from a specific bank with specific account restrictions as to whether or not that will work.

I know about the limit thanks, I tried two different banks yesterday and both refused me, BIDV said contact your bank which you can imagine is a nightmare from here.

I have used BIDV successfully on previous trips, I'm furious with my bank at home because I told them I would be here. This digital age drives me mad sometimes.
I know about the limit thanks, I tried two different banks yesterday and both refused me, BIDV said contact your bank which you can imagine is a nightmare from here.

I have used BIDV successfully on previous trips, I'm furious with my bank at home because I told them I would be here. This digital age drives me mad sometimes.
- @Malcolmleitrim

If you have internet banking send the full amount to your gf's account, then get her to withdraw it.

- @Malcolmleitrim

If you have internet banking send the full amount to your gf's account, then get her to withdraw it.
- @colinoscapee

Fortunately I've already done that as a precaution because this has happened to me before, but I don't like carrying large amounts of cash around if I can help it.

- @Malcolmleitrim

- @colinoscapee

Fortunately I've already done that as a precaution because this has happened to me before, but I don't like carrying large amounts of cash around if I can help it.
- @Malcolmleitrim

You dont need to carry it around. Get your gf to deposit it into the dealers account. Do it all without touching a dollar.
FYI I only ever use HSBC ATMs, there is one near Bitexco, one at Crescent Lake.

The max withdrawal is around 7 million. I can do it twice at Crescent Lake, Bitexco is not so generous. 1f61d.svg

My Schwab ATM card will permit US$1000 per day.

And thx for the update Malcolm. I love when people do that! Happy motoring. 1f3cd.svg
- @gobot
Did you know you can ask them to raise the daily limit, as well as change the daily limit for POS transactions?

I call their toll-free number using SKYPE.

I raised my daily ATM limit to $1,500.00 but lowered my daily POS limit from $30,000.00 to $250.00 (because I rarely ever use it as a debit/charge card and I want to avoid a problem if I ever lose it).
- @gobot
Did you know you can ask them to raise the daily limit, as well as change the daily limit for POS transactions?

I call their toll-free number using SKYPE.

I raised my daily ATM limit to $1,500.00 but lowered my daily POS limit from $30,000.00 to $250.00 (because I rarely ever use it as a debit/charge card and I want to avoid a problem if I ever lose it).
- @OceanBeach92107

By 2019, the nearby HSBC bank with ATM had already closed so going to D1 or D7 HSBC was a hassle. Then during the Red Chinese-induced war on world health, I stayed home, and stopped making ATM withdrawals. Found it was lots easier to swift-wire transfer to my wife's ACB bank dollar account several grand at a time, Schwab fee is now only $25, and ACB fee a couple dollars. Occasionally her brother takes a handful of dollars to some gold shop for exchange*. I still wouldn't recommend expats get a bank account here, but when your spouse has one, it works ok. And I never withdraw more than we expect to spend in Vietnam.

* The practice is illegal but common, govt wants you to exchange at banks at worse exchange rates.

HI everyone,
For Aidan in HCMC who asked and anyone else who would like to know, I arrived in Vietnam yesterday evening and today we went motorbike shopping. We ended up with a Honda Wave RSX with spoked wheels, electronic fuel injection and a front disc brake. The cost was 26.4 m VND including registration. The whole transaction was easily and painlessly accomplished in a Honda main dealership.
Thanks to everyone for your help, now if only I could get money out of the ATM we'd be in clover!
-@Malcolmleitrim

Hi Malcolm. Is it too soon to ask for your opinion of the Honda Wave RSX? How many kilometers so far?

And more importantly, have you taken it out solo yet? :)

ATM troubles cleared up?

@Aidan in HCMC Hi Aidan, the motorbike seems to be going well, it has been for its first service but it doesn't really travel very far, just a few km per day bringing Nhung to and from her office. I am back in Ireland at the moment but will be returning to Asia next month, hopefully for most of the winter, but it looks like I will have to hop from country to country because of the visa situation.

I managed to sort out the ATM problem after a 15 minute call to the bank in Ireland, but it's very irritating when this happens so often.

I have not driven the Honda Wave solo, nor would I be inclined to, unless it was out in the countryside. I managed to have a minor accident on a bicycle in Hoi An a few years ago, (not my fault) and I don't like taking any more risks than necessary.

Thanks for your interest.

@Malcolmleitrim

Thank you for that Malcolm. With regular service/maintenance (esp. at a cert Honda dealer) that little bike will run for a decade or more!

Glad to hear you're headed back this way. You picked a good season to exit to VN.

I totally understand being hesitant to ride solo, and I agree that countryside riding might be the way to go, should you decide to do so. Slow and steady...nothing wrong with that.

Please keep us updated, not just regarding the bike, but also your (expected) border runs, daily life events, etc upon your return.