Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Cost of living in Hungary in 2026

Hello everyone,

Every year, we invite you to share your experiences with the cost of living in Hungary, especially in the region or city you live in. Your insights will greatly help members planning their move to Hungary or already living there.

Here are some points to guide you; the idea is to provide average prices for each category:

What is the cost of renting or buying an apartment or house in Hungary?

What are the typical fares for public transportation such as buses, subways, trains, trams, or taxis?

Could you share the average monthly cost of your grocery shopping?

How much does health insurance cost? What is the price of a medical consultation in Hungary?

What are the tuition fees for children?

What are the average monthly costs for utilities, such as electricity, gas, water, internet, and phone plans?

How much do you spend monthly on leisure activities?

If there are other expenses you find relevant, please feel free to share them!

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team
See also
@Cheryl
Thanks for sharing this discussion, Cheryl. The cost of living in Hungary depends a lot on the city, but overall it is quite affordable compared to many European countries. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s experiences and tips. - @illashiza

Do you actually live in Hungary?

1 member reacted to this post
@Cheryl
Thanks for sharing this discussion, Cheryl. The cost of living in Hungary depends a lot on the city, but overall it is quite affordable compared to many European countries. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s experiences and tips. - @illashiza

I do live in Hungary and while tourists might think it cheap, the population is suffering.  No-one has any available money. I can tell that because of the low number of house construction projects going on.  When the economy is doing OK, everyone is fixing their houses.


Food, Power, Fuel are all pricey now.

1 member reacted to this post

We try to purchase  healthy foods and always cook at home.

Not saying we are the best cooks but we try.

I gave up veggie oils years ago, replaced with virgin olive oil , butter or coconut oil; Lard tastes nice with some foods but it too heavy for me.

We never buy the most expensive items or cuts of meat.

Even so I was just commenting today that it we spend around 12,000 to 14,000 ever 2 days, sometimes 3 days.

It adds up per week, per month and honestly we do not cook fancy foods.

I make deserts at home most times and we do not usually purchase chips and snacks that are processed.

Fruit, yogurt, cheese with some crackers or a handful of nuts are tv snacks if we even have any.

IDK, how people who eat 3 meals a day and have children get by.

We can turn a whole chicken in 4 different meals and not think twice about saving by not eating enough.

1 member reacted to this post
We try to purchase healthy foods and always cook at home.Not saying we are the best cooks but we try.I gave up veggie oils years ago, replaced with virgin olive oil , butter or coconut oil; Lard tastes nice with some foods but it too heavy for me.We never buy the most expensive items or cuts of meat.Even so I was just commenting today that it we spend around 12,000 to 14,000 ever 2 days, sometimes 3 days.It adds up per week, per month and honestly we do not cook fancy foods.I make deserts at home most times and we do not usually purchase chips and snacks that are processed.Fruit, yogurt, cheese with some crackers or a handful of nuts are tv snacks if we even have any.IDK, how people who eat 3 meals a day and have children get by.We can turn a whole chicken in 4 different meals and not think twice about saving by not eating enough. - @Marilyn Tassy

Eating healthily will do us all good.  I am somewhat off meat these days except chicken and fish. I drove past a butchers just this afternoon and I thought, that's where they sell dead animals. I never used to think like that. Steak and chips (fries) would have been my dinner of choice.  I am not sure why I'm thinking like that now.


As a diabetic, I have to avoid carbs and clearly sugar.  Mainly that means no bread and no cakes.  Root vegetables sound good but they are full of sugar.  It's quite limiting. I get intensely irritated seeing these Gluten Free products all over.  I am want to see Zero Sugar.  There are millions of diabetics worldwide mostly ignored.


Anyway, I concur, how people can feed their children here or anywhere, is a marvel of this age we are living in. People are inventive.   We all  live a comfy life in the burbs and our kids want for nothing - they have pretty much everything.  But these days I see others living more hand to mouth and I feel somewhat guilty at what might seem to be "excesses" of our existence.

Further reading