Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Meeting Expats in Quy Nhon

I am coming to Quy Nhon in January 2027. I would like to meet with an ExPat to get a better understanding of the country as I would like to move and settle down. Are you in Quy Nhon, or do you know someone who could meet with me? I am from the UK.


Many thanks,


David Clutterbuck

2 members reacted to this post
See also
I am coming to Quy Nhon in January 2027. I would like to meet with an ExPat to get a better understanding of the country as I would like to move and settle down. Are you in Quy Nhon, or do you know someone who could meet with me? I am from the UK.Many thanks,David Clutterbuck - @Devon David

Hi there Devon David (David). Welcome to the expat.com Vietnam forum. Nice to have you with us.


Have you visited Vietnam before, or will this be your first introduction to the country? Until a member in Quy Nhon replies, feel free to ask any general questions you might have regarding the country, culture, visa options etc.

Lots of friendly folk on the forum.


(I've asked admin to correct the title of your thread to read "Quy Nhon")

1 member reacted to this post
I am coming to Quy Nhon in January 2027. I would like to meet with an ExPat to get a better understanding of the country as I would like to move and settle down. Are you in Quy Nhon, or do you know someone who could meet with me? I am from the UK.
Many thanks,

David Clutterbuck - @Devon David

Hi David,


We don't have many active members of the forum living in Quy Nhơn, partially because the shell of this website was written long ago before QN became a more popular destination for foreigners, and now it's impossible to add a separate forum for the area.


I've lived there a number of times over the years, and my best recommendation is that you get connected (after your arrival) at the Quy Nhơn Sports Bar (owned by an Aussie expat) and the 69 Pub, owned by an American.


Most foreigner activity there is somewhat transient these days, as it is slightly more difficult to settle down in that area, considering the general lack of businesses and services geared towards English-speaking visitors.


You definitely don't see a lot of English language signage around the city, except for at the bigger businesses such as Mega Market and KFC.


There are a couple of people there who make a business out of helping foreigners get settled in the city, including the owner of the sports bar who can help you find longer term lodging and access to necessary services.


It's definitely a lot different than Đà Nẵng or Hội An or Nha Trang, where you can quickly find a lot of assistance as well as advice from fellow foreigners.


Quy Nhơn is primarily a domestic resort city for Vietnamese people, as opposed to those other locations that are much more focused on foreign tourist traffic.


I highly recommend a few things before you ever arrive:


Become proficient with the following phone apps:


Google Lens will be able to translate virtually any sign as well as do a simultaneous web search to explain what you are seeing.


Google Translate can be helpful for you to tell Vietnamese people what you need, although you'll find that most of them don't easily use it to reply. So the ability to have an actual conversation with it is somewhat limited.


Start creating a photo album of things that are usually necessary in your life, everything from groceries to photos of activities, etc.


You'll find that especially in Quy Nhơn, showing a taxi driver a photo of the thing you are seeking will get you much better results than trying to translate your English description into Tiếng Việt (the Vietnamese language).


Good luck with your plans.


If you have further questions, please ask them in this public thread.


I don't really have the time to read and reply to many personal inquiries.


Cheers!


O.B.

2 members reacted to this post

Further reading