Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Marrying a woman from Cavite

Hello,

I am planning on marrying a woman from Cavitein in July of 2028.

i have never been to the Philippines and hopefully I can handle the heat and humidity.

i will only making $2500 a month from social security.

I can’t afford to live in the States any longer.

2 members reacted to this post
See also

The first question has to be, how do you know the woman?

Online only has a nasty tendency to go sideways rapidly,  or just be a scam job.

Will your payments be avaliable to you overseas?

Living a simple life in many countries can be cheap, but is your bride expecting opulence by marrying a foreigner?

3 members reacted to this post

        Welcome Benguyr!  July is an excellent month to see if you can take the heat of Cavite plus the beginning of rainy season.  You can only stay for 29 days, need an exit ticket within those 29 days or you will not be allowed to board the plane in the USA.  Most advise at least a few months in country to get a feel for the place and the people.  If you have savings to get started, $2,500 goes far in the PI on a monthly basis

         Please ask any questions you may have.

3 members reacted to this post

I actually am in agreement with Fred, no I'm not drinking.


Hmm . . . . July 2028, that's enough time for this Filipina to empty this walking, talking ATM.

3 members reacted to this post
Hello,
I am planning on marrying a woman from Cavitein in July of 2028.
i have never been to the Philippines and hopefully I can handle the heat and humidity.
i will only making $2500 a month from social security.
I can’t afford to live in the States any longer. - @benguyr

Yeah Bob, boots on the ground for extended times wins the day and learning the "NO" word is a must.


All that aside how are your plans going to get back to the States?


Cheers, Steve.

1 member reacted to this post

@benguyr

Hi,

why do the girls here in the Philippines want to marry foreign men? And the answer is: To have a better life. And the better life is defined with a house or condo here in the Philippines or in the USA. They are dreaming of a life abroad as the life here in the Philippines is for them a life in poverty. In exchange you will get a young girl with a good look.


So, if you come here in 2028 you need to find a place to stay. What you can do is to make a long term rental in a condo. Long term rentals here in Boracay start from USD 700/month. Due to the heat you will need at least 2 aircons and this will add another 200 USD. Then you need to eat. As the condo has a kitchen your wife can cook and you can plan another 400 USD for food per month. Then you (she) will need internet, cable TV and other things and so you can add another 100 USD. So, when you stay on a budget 1500 USD will do. My average expense here in Boracay is USD 2000. This includes restaurant visits, pocket money for my wife, money for the school of my son, ....


The next thing and maybe the most important thing to know is that a marriage in the Philippines cannot be divorced. And also important to know is that the girls from the Philippines have to help her family behind. And those families can be huge. Maybe she has kids who are living with her parents and she is a single mom. As soon as you marry her, you need to support them. So make sure in advance that you can give her e.g. 300 USD per month as pocket money. She can use it for herself or send it (or parts) to her family behind.


To get the marriage visa in the Philippines you will have an interview in the immigration. The lawyer will ask you where you stay and how much money you make. If the lawyer thinks that this is a marriage of convenience they can reject the marriage visa.


To make sure that the Philippines are your final destination, you should visit the country first. It is not only the heat which is a problem here. The lack of infrastructure, the pollution and the overcrowded cities are a problem here. We live on a island in an estate but infrastructure is still a big problem here.


I don't want to talk you out of it but you should be aware of what you are doing.


Good luck

Andy from Boracay (10 years in the Philippines)

2 members reacted to this post

Everyone is different, so I'll share my perspective.  Having already been married to a Filipina for 40 years, she and I decided to retire here to a) be close to her family and b) to see our retirement savings last longer.  We could have been comfortable in retirement in the US (we both have more than just SS), but being close to family was a major factor in our decision.


She inherited land from her dad, so we built our retirement house on that hilltop property.  After a couple of years, I stopped doing the periodic Visitor Visa renewal and got my 13A visa.  This was extremely easy, since we had 42 years of verifiable married life, so we weren't put through the wringer like some newlyweds have been.  Assuming that you and your woman get married, be sure to keep lots of photos and records of your life together so that your 13A processing will go smoothly.


As for all the other daily life things that you will experience here, pack a lot of patience.  This isn't a Western country.  Bureaucracy is snail's-pace slow, and while the locals will smile a lot, that doesn't mean they're doing what you expect.


I have visited the Philippines many times throughout our marriage, but visits aren't even close to the same thing as living here.  You'll see once you're here.  For instance, food that you have come to know and love at home may be difficult or impossible to find here.  Philippine food is wonderful, and living out in a forested barangay, we have plenty of fresh pork, chicken, fruits, and vegetables.  You may find that you are eating "better," and some physical ailments may abate or even disappear.  But if you have occasional cravings for good Mexican, Italian, American, or other non-Filipino foods, you'll be unlikely to find suitable substitutes here.  Of course, what IS available here may be satisfactory for you, so don't let my comment scare you off.


Keep in mind that you can not own real estate (other than condos), so any $$ you choose to invest in land or a home will be hers.  Also, Freedom of Speech (a uniquely protected American right) is not a "thing" here, so be mindful of your comments, both aloud and written online.  Negative comments, especially about elected officials or the government, can get you deported.  It's their country and their rules, so we need to simply accept things as they are.  Trying to suggest improvements or changes is generally not favorably received.


I hope some of this is helpful.  Your situation, being a single guy looking for a mate, increases the risk factor quite a bit since you'll be here without a known quantity as you travel and make a life for yourself.  I wish you well, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I've been here about 7.5 years, so you'll run into folks with both less and more experience in these forums. 


Remember, this information is only worth about what you paid for it.  😀

4 members reacted to this post

Well said Lenny and I concur.


Only my thoughts but simply deciding on one destination  whether single or a partner in tow could be a problem for expectations and outcomes. I travelled lots to different destinations here but so far have not made it to Mindanao, thing is my travels and exploring gave me a feel for the people and the different cultures in many areas and well worth investing the time to look around this fine country. The ups and downs, the lethargy of Government and private corporations to sort out problems efficiently.


I'm only a spring chicken compared to your decades of experience Lenny, we have been together for 15 years and living here for 7 odd years but my/our travels throughout Luzon and Visayas for 16 plus years was a grounding to retire here. Know the people, the poverty and the wealth before you commit.


Said it plenty of times that the Philippines is an acquired taste that suits many but not all. My add on is to learn the "NO" word when the hands come out for money and loans. Ben my better half knows the rules and for 10 years has said "NO" and his best excuse these days is I'm retired and on a pension. They leave us alone and we have a very good life here.


You can't come here green, invest the time and learn the system.


OMO.


Cheers, Steve.

3 members reacted to this post

bigpearl asked . . . . All that aside how are your plans going to get back to the States?

*************************

Glad you asked


My stepson (the good one) and I went to the B.I. location at the 8th floor of the SM Aura Office Tower.


On my previous research of the ECC A & ECC B, had so much contradictory information it left my head spinning. (Forms, Finger Prints, Photographs, bla bla bla)


Well this B.I. had more employees than visitors. I just had a seat and my stepson went to various windows. I believe he only showed my Passport and 13A. No Red Tape . . . . The whole process took about 25 minutes.


Fees:

RP P1400

Emigration Clearance Certificate P700

Head Tax P250

Legal Research Fee P30

Express Lane Fee P1,000

________________________________

Total fees P3180


Next step is to report to B.I. at the airport.

************************************

I will be flying United on Oct 13th. Nonstop to San Francisco, about a three hour layover, then on to Tucson, AZ.

Total elapsed time 18 hours 44 minutes, cost $903.43

2 members reacted to this post

@benguyr

Hey I’m Joe ***

I’m 62 retired here in Panglao, Bohol. I have 39 years married to my Filipina. With only your Social Security you can manage with with your finances with careful budgeting. You will go broke very easy if you’re not careful. This is a cash society live debt free don’t use credit cards.


Good luck - look me up on WhatsApp

Moderated by Cheryl 10 hours ago
Reason : Personal contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I very strongly recommend members not post contact details.

1 member reacted to this post
I actually am in agreement with Fred, no I'm not drinking.
Hmm . . . . July 2028, that's enough time for this Filipina to empty this walking, talking ATM. - @Enzyte Bob

Every now and then Bob we get these rose tinted spectacle ‘blow in’s’ on the Forum.

Another lamb to the slaughter.

1 member reacted to this post

It's easy to be smitten by a different country and culture, a partner more so. The Philippines requires boots on the ground, looking around and getting your hands dirty at times, the cultures and flavours like many countries are not for everyone, the poverty alongside the wealth. It does matter where you land, the problems that arise and that comes with caution and research especially here.


I love it here as most expats do but poor decisions can lead to disgruntled souls bagging a great country because in reality they chose poorly.

Agree Lotus that the rose coloured glasses are a blindfold to the realities and which head you are thinking with.


I've said enough.


Cheers, Steve.

2 members reacted to this post
I actually am in agreement with Fred, no I'm not drinking. - @Enzyte Bob

OMG!!!!!!! 🤣

3 members reacted to this post

I have to admit that I am confused. You say you have never been to the Philippines, are not sure that you can handle the heat and humidity there so I have to ask why are you planning to up sticks and move there without first going there and checking out if you can handle it. Also, have you ever met this woman you intend to marry?


I can only think of a few possibilities regarding your situation. Maybe you have never met her because she does not want to meet you in person and you are already sending her money. In that case she will just keep accepting the money until it is time for you to go there and then she will bin you off.  Maybe she is an OFW working for example in Saudi so you cannot meet until she finishes her contract and returns home. On the other hand, maybe she is an OFW in Hong Kong or Singapore, somewhere where you can and have travelled to and spent time with her or maybe she is working in the States and you see her on a regular basis.


Whatever the situation I would not move to a country or location in that country that I have never visited more than once and I would never consider marrying someone that I have never met in person. Even if I had met her, I would need to spend a t least a year in the country living with her before I even considered marriage.


Just my thoughts and I hope that you will let the forum know why you have not been to the Philippines yet and if you have met this woman in person.


Good luck - I think you will need it.

2 members reacted to this post

CA, it certainly depends on which head you are thinking with, planning a Trip 18 months out to get married? Never meeting the woman let alone the country nor environment she is living in? Does make the mind boggle. Come and meet her, see what her life is like now, not 2028 before a major decision or mistake.


OMO.


Cheers, Steve.

1 member reacted to this post
Hello,I am planning on marrying a woman from Cavitein in July of 2028.i have never been to the Philippines and hopefully I can handle the heat and humidity.i will only making $2500 a month from social security.I can’t afford to live in the States any longer. - @benguyr

You've never been to the Philippines. Has the lucky lady ever been to the US. ? Have you met face to face in a third country? I ask only because long-time members of the forum have seen more than our fare share of "digital love" which ended in disappointment and substantial financial loss.

Many a case of she showed him hers, he showed her his, and presto, pixel love!


Don't worry too much about the heat. You'll acclimate.

I'm from a province in Canada known as "Iceberg Alley". It took me about a year before I got comfortable with the heat of the tropics (I'm now 9 years in Vietnam).


Though I've not been to the Philippines (yet), I feel confident in agreeing with other members that $2500US will be enough for you to live comfortably, especially with the assistance of your soon-to-be wife.

1 member reacted to this post
Hello,I am planning on marrying a woman from Cavitein in July of 2028.i have never been to the Philippines and hopefully I can handle the heat and humidity.i will only making $2500 a month from social security.I can’t afford to live in the States any longer. - @benguyr
You've never been to the Philippines. Has the lucky lady ever been to the US. ? Have you met face to face in a third country? I ask only because long-time members of the forum have seen more than our fare share of "digital love" which ended in disappointment and substantial financial loss.
Many a case of she showed him hers, he showed her his, and presto, pixel love!
Don't worry too much about the heat. You'll acclimate.
I'm from a province in Canada known as "Iceberg Alley". It took me about a year before I got comfortable with the heat of the tropics (I'm now 9 years in Vietnam).

Though I've not been to the Philippines (yet), I feel confident in agreeing with other members that $2500US will be enough for you to live comfortably, especially with the assistance of your soon-to-be wife. - @Aidan in HCMC

That might be his biggest problem - his soon to be wife assisting him every month disposing of his $2500.

1 member reacted to this post

Further reading