Photography in Saudi Arabia

Hello Expat and non-Expat ;)

I am getting into photography and I am planning to buy an enthusiast DSLR or a Mirrorless camera in the near future(precisely when I become un-broke). However, I have few questions for people who own a camera.

1- Is there a legal paper in Saudi Arabia that states what is allowed to photograph and what is not?

2- Did you ever get harassed by Saudi families when taking pictures in public?

3- Is there an existing club or group for photographer at EB in Al-Khobar or anywhere close?

Thanks.
Aman

1- I don't believe so. I think you only need a permit if you are doing it for news, or movies. Practice common sense when taking pictures. If a family passes by just lower the camera to show that you won't photograph them, and don't take pictures of government facilities.

2- I haven't, but if I did I would show them they weren't in the pic, or if they were just delete it in front of them and apologise.

3- there is a search bar up above use it to check

Thank you for your reply ahelpfulsaudi.

I did search using the bar above. I found this useful post
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=49663
I learned that practicing photography as a hobby isn't the easiest thing in KSA (this probably applies to most hobbies)

I find it strange that plenty of members here put photography as one of their interests while I can barely get a reply. I think it's the bad timing, am I wrong?

It would be great if everyone would mention what camera gear they have?
I would've started myself but as I mentioned I still don't own one.

I have a 5 MP phone camera, but in all seriousness photography has been a booming hobby in Saudi for a few years now so I think more people are relaxed around cameras now

Here's my reply to somebody asking me about photography:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 99#1421229

ahelpfulsaudi wrote:

I have a 5 MP phone camera, but in all seriousness photography has been a booming hobby in Saudi for a few years now so I think more people are relaxed around cameras now

This is good news. I can see that camera stores are increasing in Riyadh and Khobar in addition to frequent promotions in Jarir bookstores and others.

There is a joke in the US:  beauty is in the eye of the beer holder lol  Of course that doesn't apply in KSA ;)  but I couldn't resist sharing some Americana :D:

Does non-alcoholic beer count :lol:

Okay, I have very much enjoyed shooting pictures in the desert--the various rock formations, esp. the Edge of the World.  I also like old architecture, so Old Diriyah is a favorite.  But my absolute favorite is taking pics during the Janadriyah Festival.  There's so much to see and everybody is very relaxed and in a festive mood and everybody (Saudis/expats) is taking pics of everybody else.

I'm glad you enjoyed going to those places. You wouldn't believe how many city residents didn't visit them including myself.

Did you visit Al Musmak Castle in the center of Riyadh. It's a beautiful old building from the 18 hundreds.  I went there multiple of times when I was younger but never saw it from the inside.
this is how it looks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masmak_fort

aman11022 wrote:

1- Is there a legal paper in Saudi Arabia that states what is allowed to photograph and what is not?

2- Did you ever get harassed by Saudi families when taking pictures in public?

3- Is there an existing club or group for photographer at EB in Al-Khobar or anywhere close?

1. No, there is not. You are not to legally photograph government or military institutions/buildings. Usually there are clear "no photos" signs posted. You shouldn't take photographs of people unless you ask or it is understood to be ok (re: Jenadriya). You may also wish to check out this link:

http://nidalm.com/blog/being-a-photogra … di-arabia/

2. No. But I wear niqab+hijab so that may have something to do with it. I am respectful and turn my lens away from people so they know I am not photographing them (I shoot with several cameras, but mostly my 5D Mark II, cannot miss it). I have never had a problem and I photograph everywhere. But, I imagine men will have more trouble.

3. No idea, sorry.

Good luck and have fun!

aman11022 wrote:

\
Did you visit Al Musmak Castle in the center of Riyadh. It's a beautiful old building from the 18 hundreds.  I went there multiple of times when I was younger but never saw it from the inside.
this is how it looks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masmak_fort

I've been there ... inside, even.  In fact, the guard removed the ropes and invited my friend and myself inside the reconstructed seating area.  There is also a short film about the fort that includes old pictures and it's very interesting! :)

Xenolol wrote:

I have never had a problem and I photograph everywhere. But, I imagine men will have more trouble.

I'm sure you're right.  I've never had a problem, either, but I think men must be more careful.

Thank you for the link, Xenolol.

Do you think it is necessary to buy a weather sealed camera if I'm going to buy one because of dust and humidity?

i would 100%  makes life easier going from in the car to out with humidity if you can afford it

i never have problems, and ive walked aroudn with everything from a 1960s polaroid land camera, to a bigger than DSLR film camera, to my 7d with 70-200.  noone cares. just dont take pictures of families and women

I have Canon 600D 18-55MM DSLR Camera...
It quite impressive and result oriented.

I enjoyed taking pictures normally of natural scenes or from far or in group.

If you have long zoom Camera, 70-200+ MM, it would solve your problem as you can take pictures from far.

But As ALLIECAT says, be cautious and beaware of worst scenarios :P

Good Luck.

sbkhan303 wrote:

I have Canon 600D 18-55MM DSLR Camera...
It quite impressive and result oriented.

I enjoyed taking pictures normally of natural scenes or from far or in group.

If you have long zoom Camera, 70-200+ MM, it would solve your problem as you can take pictures from far.

But As ALLIECAT says, be cautious and beaware of worst scenarios :P

Good Luck.

I dont think so there is any written law but you should be very careful taking pics of / inside Government institutions.

Also in some of the malls and supermarkets you cannot take pictures.

I have a Nikon D5200 with a zoom lens & enjoy a lot of photography in Khobar & sometimes Riyadh. Wish you luck with your new camera purchase.

Saudi Arabia: Photography and videography in public places to be illegal

According to sources at the General Authority for Audiovisual Media, Saudi authorities are planning to issue a new regulation shortly to reduce videography and photography in public places, especially using cellphone cameras.

This move is in light of the recent nation-wide outrage caused by various local incidents that came to the spotlight after the video clips of the events were widely shared on social media.

The new regulation is aimed at putting an end to the random recording of people and events in public places without prior permission. It is to be noted that filming people without permission is considered as an invasion of their privacy and violation of rights. Sign boards will be set up in areas where videography and photography is not allowed, reported Akhbaar24.

I believe I'll settle down with Canon 6D and 24-105mm L f/4. I think this lens and camera combination is an overkill for my current level, however, I'm sure I will grow into it. I'm actually planning a year or so to get paid for shooting events such as weddings, graduation ceremonies, and meetings.

I'm waiting for black Friday hoping the price of the kit would drop a couple of hundred dollars which I can then buy a speedlight and another battery.

BTW, does anybody know a shop where I can examine the 6D in Al-Khobar or Damamm or Riyadh? I need to have a sense of its weight and handling before purchasing it.

Cheers.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Saudi Arabia: Photography and videography in public places to be illegal

According to sources at the General Authority for Audiovisual Media, Saudi authorities are planning to issue a new regulation shortly to reduce videography and photography in public places, especially using cellphone cameras.

This move is in light of the recent nation-wide outrage caused by various local incidents that came to the spotlight after the video clips of the events were widely shared on social media.

The new regulation is aimed at putting an end to the random recording of people and events in public places without prior permission. It is to be noted that filming people without permission is considered as an invasion of their privacy and violation of rights. Sign boards will be set up in areas where videography and photography is not allowed, reported Akhbaar24.

TRANSLATION:

In light of the several recent internet video postings showing abuse of women and expats, the Kingdom of Humanity has decided to ban the abuse of women and expats public photography in order to rein in the tarnishing of its pristine reputation as a pure Islamic country.