Moving to Gibraltar?

Some questions. Are jobs readily availiable? Is it easy to find a room to rent in Gibraltar or a flat share? I currently hold a Class 2 LGV driving licence.Will this help get work? Dustbin lorry drivers ,small lorries over 7,5 tonne(to larger lorries 28 tonne) etc delivery goods to from Spain.I am willing to do menial work such as supermarket shelf stacker nights(I noticed a large Tescos there June 2009 Tescos?) or bin man or street sweeper. As a temporay measure until I find work ,can I ,as a British citizen claim Job seekers allowance until I find work? Is there Beer money to be made by selling a small amount of cheap cigerettes to the spanish?

Hi Cundalini!

I would advise you to ask one question at a time.
It could be easier for other members to give detailed answers ;)

Good luck
Armand

Cundalini wrote:

Some questions.

Some answers...

Are jobs readily availiable?

No

Is it easy to find a room to rent in Gibraltar or a flat share?

There plenty of flats to rent, you should be able to share as the rental is dear compared with the wages, ie min rent is £500 a month.

I currently hold a Class 2 LGV driving licence.Will this help get work? Dustbin lorry drivers ,small lorries over 7,5 tonne(to larger lorries 28 tonne) etc delivery goods to from Spain.

Sorry can't help with that.

I am willing to do menial work such as supermarket shelf stacker nights(I noticed a large Tescos there June 2009 Tescos?) or bin man or street sweeper.

So are lots of other people.  It is Morrisons by the way.  Master Service does the street sweeping/cleaning/bins and there is a waiting list to join them.

As a temporay measure until I find work ,can I ,as a British citizen claim Job seekers allowance until I find work?

No.  There is no JSA.  You need to have been employed for something like 30 weeks out of the previous year before you can claim benefit and it only lasts for 13 weeks.  British citizens have no more or no less rights than anyone else.  You would need to become a Gib resident (which you are unlikely to be able to do without a job and an official rental contract).

Is there Beer money to be made by selling a small amount of cheap cigerettes to the spanish?

Probably.  And if you were lucky you might get arrested and slung in jail which means you wouldn't have to worry about finding anywhere to rent or where your next meal was coming from, although you might have to wait a while for your next beer.  You are talking about smuggling. 

It is illegal.  Yes it happens, yes people do it.  But this forum is about providing sensible advice to people moving abroad and not on the particular viability of specific criminal activities.