Permanent residency to Brazil

Hi,

I would like to relocate to Brazil with my girlfriend (she is a Brazilian citizen) in a few years time. I only have a New Zealand citizenship and I have doubts as to my ability to attain a work visa in Brazil, as I don't not speak Portuguese very well and I am unsure if my education is of relevance in  Brazil.

I would like to know my options of obtaining a permanent residency in Brazil.
Hello Dudu Garcia,

Welcome to expat.com!

If you have decided to move to Brazil in a few years, it would be best to start your immigration process as soon as possible.

I invite you to read Visas in Brazil where you will find loads of information concerning the visa requirements in Brazil.
Also, I hope someone on the forum can clear your doubts regarding your education qualifications and your inability to speak Portuguese.

Good luck,

Yoginee
Expat.com team
Thank you for your quick reply Yoginee. I've read up on most of the visa requirements, ones that I think I'd most likely apply for. There is some legal terminology that I am unfamiliar with.

In regards to the "common law marriages" provided under the Family Reunion visa, what qualifies as a common law marriage?

We are not currently married so we have no legally binding documents.
I don't have infos to visa and education levels/certificates, I just heard some stories, it can be difficult and certificates need to be translated and approved, ...

But Portuguese is a must if you want to move to Brazil and get a job here. I think there are hardly any jobs out there, where Portuguese is not necessary. Foreign languages (or the ability to speak them) are not as appreciated as you might know it from other countries.
Even "educated" persons ( high level engineers, doctors, ect. ) usually speak very little to no englisch.
hello!!
getting married, a real marriage will definitely help with all the hassle...
now, getting a job here for a foreigner is extremely difficult. (whatever your study) you will need probably some good relationships...
cheers!
08/02/22 Welcome, Dudu!  Your best bet for moving permanently to Brazil is marriage.  Brazilian citizens have a legal right to live in Brazil with their foreign spouses, and that lowers most of the barriers to to living here.  Without a family connection or an employment contract from a Brazilian company, immigration is extremely unlikely.  With a Family Reunion visa, you can obtain authorization to work legally in Brazil; without that, it's doubtful.

The most typical form of the "common law marriage" that you've read about is called a "união estável" in Brazil.  To ensure that it is acceptable to the Federal Police and/or a Brazilian Consulate abroad, you and your girlfriend should register the relationship at a cartório -- a Notary Office -- in her hometown.  If New Zealand has a formal process for registering a Domestic Partnership, the Brazilian Consulate there may accept that as the basis for a Family Reunion visa for you, if it's done in person:  the Brazilian Government will not accept proxy relationships for immigration purposes.  Either a marriage performed in New Zealand or a Domestic Partnership declared there will need to be registered at the Brazilian Consulate prior to applying for your Family Reunion visa.

Brazil is its own world, and totally different from New Zealand.  It's a monolingual Portuguese-speaking country, for starters.  Having authorization to work doesn't guarantee that you'll be able to get a job, far from it.  Don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful place -- it's just not for everybody.  If at all possible, try to spend a couple of long visits here before committing to immigrate, to make sure that you and Brazil are a good fit.

Best of luck.
abthree has given the best advice.
We had an office in Rio for years and I would travel to Brasil to work and on days off I explored many areas.
I also knew of the salaries of engineers, geologists, and admin personnel. While they made somewhat more than let's say Petrobras (since they were working for a US company), I was surprised by the lower wages than in the US.
I met my wife and upon retirement, I believed we could and can live on my retirement in Brazil. She would have loved to live in the US but having a large family I knew Brasil was the best for both.
As pointed out the salaries in Brasil remains low and many are just living paycheck to paycheck.
My point is to come to Brasil and explore. I also believe you should begin learning Portuguese.
Who knows what lies ahead as to migration laws "in a few years' time"?
Good luck
Tex
@Dudu Garcia6
I am in a similar situation, although it sounds like I may be older, as I will be retiring soon.  I have been working with Giselle Amorim, an attorney in Brazil, to get my permanent residency through a stable union.  It sounds like it will be pretty easy but we're only halfway through the process, so I am still being cautious about my optimism.  My girlfriend and I have been gathering the necessary documents and are planning to sign and submit everything when I am there next, in late September.  You can contact Giselle on WhatsApp at +55****

Also, I totally agree with abthree and Texan - learn Portuguese!  I have found that it's a difficult language to understand when it is spoken but put in the practice.  I have found that "educated" Brazilians (at least, in Sao Paulo) will generally speak some English but you're going to feel left out when they are talking to everyone else and you'll be completely lost when going to stores, etc.  It's funny that Brazilians are fascinated with the U.S., so much so that many stores use English words in their advertising and most of the t-shirts people are wearing have English words on them but the vast majority of Brazilians have no idea what those words mean.  LOL

Boa sorte!
Moderated by Vero last year
Reason : Do not share your contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Thank you very everyone for your replies. I will definitely be studying Portuguese for the next few years to increase my chances of getting a job there. I figured that marriage would be the easiest solution, though I rather would have avoided it due to my own moral choices.

Perhaps immigration laws will change and other opportunities may arise like you said Tex.

Thanks again,
Dudu
08/02/22   I figured that marriage would be the easiest solution, though I rather would have avoided it due to my own moral choices.

Thanks again,
Dudu
- @Dudu Garcia6

União Estável may be the answer for you, then, if you object to marriage. 

Without a recognized relationship with a Brazilian citizen, though. your options narrow down to having a skill, principally in a STEM field, for which the Brazilian Government has identified a shortage and is actively recruiting, or being able to invest a lot of capital (generally R$500,000, with some exceptions)  in Brazil.
I was thinking that too abthree. Would you happen to know the requirements for application?

Incidentally, my profession is within the STEM field but only to a technician level at the moment. Is there somewhere where I can read up on the shortage? Maybe a list of desired skills?

The investment visa was something I was looking into but the stipulation for the minimum amount (R$ 150,000) is a bit confusing for me.
What is the difference between uniao estavel and family reuinion with a partner, is it the same?
08/03/22

The investment visa was something I was looking into but the stipulation for the minimum amount (R$ 150,000) is a bit confusing for me.
- @Dudu Garcia6

See the general requirements for the Investment Visa here; check the page of the Brazilian Consulate in New Zealand for any differences:

08/03/22 What is the difference between uniao estavel and family reuinion with a partner, is it the same?
- @ltoby955

In relationship terms, the same thing.  In legal terms, the Brazilian Government needs proof that the relationship is committed and not casual.  When it's not a marriage, the easiest form of proof is a legal domestic partnership, a "união estável", sworn by the couple at a cartório.  The alternative is proof, like a lease, utility bills, etc., that the couple have actually been living together for a long time.  I don't know of any formal definition of "a long time", but I've heard that the Federal Police are usually looking for a year or more.

08/03/22 Incidentally, my profession is within the STEM field but only to a technician level at the moment. Is there somewhere where I can read up on the shortage? Maybe a list of desired skills?

- @Dudu Garcia6

This article is dated, but a lot of the information in it still applies; add in IT professionals.  The site itself may also be useful to you.   

If you decide to go the União Estável route prepare yourself for a potentially difficult experience satisfying the PF's ambiguous request for supplemental proof of relationship as it's extremely unlikely you'll get away with solely a document from a cartório. I went through the process via the PF in Rio and finally secured my residency just over a year ago after wrongfully assuming because I had every document listed on the website I was good to go. Rental contracts legalized at the cartório, utility bills, various declarations; all not satisfactory… It took at least 10 trips to the PF, each time leaving with no additional information on how to proceed and it was nearly impossible  to secure additional proof that they would accept. In retrospect I wish we would have went the traditional marriage route and would highly encourage you to consider it despite your current views if you're really set on moving here. Obviously there's a chance you will have no issues and this will vary largely upon who you talk to and what delegation you're going through to try and procure your residency but at the very least I would definitely steer clear of Rio as the process made it nearly unobtainable. Even getting the união estável document at the cartório was so difficult we ended up flying to São Paulo and doing it there. You will also more than likely need a translator to come with you if you're required to legalize via a cartório and cannot demonstrate at least a basic understanding of Portuguese. I managed to evade this with minimal speaking but of course this will also vary depending on the cartório.

I'm not sure if it's possible to apply for a VITEM visa at your local consulate as I'm understanding that your girlfriend is not currently residing in Brasil and I'm unfamiliar with that process having not went that route myself but that could potentially make things easier if you're eligible. If you need help or have questions about anything specific in regards to união estável and going through the process in Brasil I will try my best to help you out. Good luck!

@Bpm917  Marriage is not for everyone and the common law is far better, I have been married more times than Liz Taylor so ouch for a repeat.  Estadio Stavel via a notario with a brazilain partner and property owned outright surely has to suffice, with teh notarised document lodges with teh authorities?

@ltoby955 I agree and would assume you're correct in thinking owning property would suffice for other documentation  - "Proof that both partners are listed as joint owners of a property or that both are listed as tenants in a rental/lease contract" In my case the rental/lease situation was not accepted despite being legalized at a cartório when we signed with the landlord. Obviously owning property (assuming both your names are tied to it) in my opinion outweighs a lease but again, it's really dependent on the person assigned to your case.

09/09/22 If you decide to go the União Estável route prepare yourself for a potentially difficult experience satisfying the PF's ambiguous request for supplemental proof of relationship as it's extremely unlikely you'll get away with solely a document from a cartório.
-@Bpm917

Thanks for the reality check.  That is really bad news.  The document from the cartório used to be accepted as the gold standard of proof for a união estável.  We've been hearing from shortly before the pandemic that both the consulates abroad and the Polícia Federal in-country are becoming more and more skeptical of requests for permanent residency, and requiring more and more evidence.  When a sworn statement by a Brazilian citizen under Brazilian law doesn't go unchallenged, it's more important than ever for applicants to have their documentation complete and squeaky clean.  It sounds like flexibility is being squeezed out of the system.

@Bpm917 My partner owns her house in Brazil and I own a house in Portugal so that won't help but thanks. I see they except photos with us together and with friends and family.

@abthree It's almost funny if it wasn't so serious far more Brazilians are leaving for various reasons and find it easier to do so than us getting into Brazil. With a population of 11,000,000 in Portugal there are 600.000 Brazilains and the same amount from Venezuala.

Brazil has had and will continue to have a food production surplus in the coming year.

For multiple reasons, most of the rest of the world, including most of europe, the USA, the middle east, africa, and china, are going to be suffering food shortages starting soon.  some of them will be severe.  Before you move anywhere, take some time to research what is really happening behind the curtains......

There has been a huge shift in recent days, It seems we are ahead of the curve when it comes to news re Europe. I'm in Portugal as you have probably guessed and grain is now moving again big regains of territory has boosted stocks and Russia is pulling back to save face. We have a huge intake of Americans arriving, many come for value and being the third safest country on the planet.  I go to Brazil regulary to stay with my partner so get to see both flips of the coin.