Impossible to open a bank account?

Came to Sofia a couple months ago and got a residence permit and am employed here. Went to UBB and Fibank. Filled the form for the pre application and KYC. Weeks have passed since and when I ask there still "additional checks" pending. Anyone else have this problem or recently successfully open a bank account?

If so, which bank did you use?

[Post deleted]

[Post deleted]

@EVTRA so you are saying it is also impossible to get a credit card as a foreigner even if you have a bank account?

I'll try Postbank, thanks
@Chrisjo1 It is a common problem here, some banks flatly refuse, others demand money upfront for the checks.

The first account I managed to open, 4 years ago, was at Texim (a smaller bank with fewer branches, and the only Bulgarian owned bank, at least back then).

A couple years ago opened another one, at Unicredit, this took about a week of checks.
I opened a private account last week with Unicredit Bulbank without problems so far. I have a residence permit but I heard that without it is practically impossible. There's also iCard (a Bulgarian Neobank with Bulgarian IBAN) and I heard that Paysera and Revolut are also offering a Bulgarian IBAN (although they are based abroad).

It also depends on whether it is a private account or business account. If it's a business account, I heard that Bulgarian banks want to have a Bulgarian citizen with PoA as contact.
@Chrisjo1
No it isnt..if you own a property
If you are a resident
Its a different story..and a great deal easier..i am with Bulbank..got current account plus mastercard i didnt ask for.very helpful staff.
My wife spent 10 days in Bulgaria when she bought a house. The estate agent had her bouncing from bank to bank to bank to get an account for her newly set up limited company when was needed to complete the purchase.
A very smug and arrogant chap who sometimes left her for a few days with no communication and then never handled the promised utilities handover documentation; "You come back to Bulgaria and I will do that for 300 euros". Even though the "deal" was the limited company, house purchase, bank account and utilities for a fixed 750 euros fee.
I wish you well getting it all done in a reasonable timescale!
berryd, are you willing to share which estate agency that was?
I'm travelling to Bg in September for the same reason -- company set-up, back account, and then off to the notary. I'm hoping not to have a similar experience!
@Chrisjo1
If you own property you can show them the deeds...plus your residents card..
My wife is bulgarian so maybe it was easy..i didnt pay..but needed a deposit..no problem its a currency account..means i can pay from uk in pounds..however..banks here charge monthly for having an a/c.
@janemulberry
It depends on which property you buy as to which estate agent you get.
As several have said, the good (bad?) old days of negligible due diligence are long gone. The EU has required Bulgarian banks to tighten up considerably.

10 years ago I opened an account on a quick trip to Bansko. Just showed my passport, no questions asked, no other documents requested... opened there and then.

As far as I can tell, it's now almost impossible to open an account only with a passport... and you will spend days traipsing around the city to different branches if you try to find the one or two left with a bit of flexibility.

Typically, they now want your Bulgarian residence permit AND some further proof of the residence address on your card (such as a rental contract or your notary act). And the application goes to head office for approval so it can take a week or two (it seems to be a formality, so I doubt many get rejected, but it does slow the process down). But "weeks" sounds excessive, I would chase it up, in person, or try at another bank. I've heard that some are also asking about some kind of proof of tax ID. This sounds a bit dramatic, but if you're a UK citizen it's usually pretty easy... as you just use your Government Gateway account to access your NI contributions... and there's an option to print an official letter with your NI number.

I think the good banks include Bulbank, Fibank, DSK, and UBB. I think these four are pretty straightforward if you have your residence card. Postbank too, I think, but I never used them. Bulbank has a good banking app, and it's the main one I use. I know someone who opened an UBB account recently, it took a week only, and she said she's happy with the account and the banking app. (UBB wanted her residence permit, her rental contract, and her UK NI number letter.)

My impression is that debit cards are easy to get, perhaps even automatic. Credit cards, I have no idea, I didn't even ask for one. But I'd guess if you want one, you can probably get one. Even if, perhaps, they want to block a few euros of your funds against potential non-payment of bills.

Also as mentioned by my fellow posters, there are several ebanks now, so it's debatable how necessary it is to get a local bank account. I have Revolut and WIse, and I like them both, and I think they're worth taking a look at.

Bulgaria doesn't seem to be a country with a lot of bill sending and direct debits. Unlike, say, the UK, where every supplier will do their best to get you on a direct debit. So, personally, I found the most useful option is Epay.bg the online version of the EasyPay kiosks. I pay almost all my household bills via their website. I have both my Wise and Bulbank debit cards registered as my payment method, so it definitely works with debit cards from non-Bulgarian banks and ebanks. (But watch for the currency exchange charges, in case that's an issue... but with Wise it isn't.) I use a similar local payment gateway for my apartment in Cyprus (jccsmart). In both cases, these payment options are easier to use than my local bank's online banking AND they have much better record keeping of all my payments over the last years.
JCCSMART is the way to go in Cyprus - most things we buy or use including gas are paid that way.

@berryd - Absolutely! Almost all my Cyprus household expenses including property taxes are paid via Jccsmart. In Bulgaria, I have direct accounts with Plovdiv municipality (annual taxes for properties and vehicles) and Bulgarian social security (for my health system contributions), but everything else is paid via epay.

Why do people still need bank accounts? Use Revolut.
@janemulberry
It depends on which property you buy as to which estate agent you get.
- @berryd

Yes, I know that! I was asking which estate agent gave you that grief!
I would prefer not to say...
@berryd Okay. I respect that.  I hope it wasn't the ones I'm dealing with!
Super easy to have a bulgarian account on Paysera, it takes 5 minutes...
Update from me: went to Unicredit and they opened an account for me right away without any "pre checks". Just needed my passport and residence permit.

Fibank and UBB I have never heard from again (over a month now)

@Chrisjo1 That should give everyone hope.

@Chrisjo1

Hi,

You. don,t need a Bulgarian bank account if you have a smartphone with internet. I'm dutch, living in Sicilia and use an online bank BUNQ, it working great. The only thing is that to feed your acount with cash, you have to look for a supermarket Penny. Hope this was helfull.

Marco F. V. Baljet
@Chrisjo1
When i opened a bulbank account
I got a debit and a mastercard.
Main bank is in burgas..but had it transferred to pomorie a few yrs ago.
I am a resident so may have been easier.

@Chrisjo1

I'm with co op bank and wasn't a problem  until I went in the update my new passport .  They wanted a letter from nation insurance UK .. ended up with my card cancelled and account suspended uugh! 

So be aware that even though they already have national insurance info from when you opened the account in the 1st place they will ask for it again so make sure you always have this with you ..

My account is now open again and a shiny new card  :)

Also just coz the bank account was suspended they still allowed me to put money in .

UBB bank yuk never again.  I went in with my Filipino wife and very rude and the way the woman looked at my wife .. very racist

Phil

I use Revolut for my bulgarian company bank account. Not quick, not slow.  certainly easier as all on line.

@Chrisjo1

how long did you wait for the security check?

All foreigners must now pay 150 for the security check in banks

My friend paid and is waiting three weeks at UBB and they did not answer her.

Did you wait three weeks or more?

@Anastasija_gust

For my personal account it was done in a few days with UBB, but you do have to check, they dont inform you.

@Anastasija_gust
For my personal account it was done in a few days with UBB, but you do have to check, they dont inform you.

-@grahamstark1

When? Before new security checks? This is new problem.

Our friends in the UK and soon to be new neighbours here in BG opened their business account in August and theirs took less than two weeks. Admittedly my personal account was two years ago and my business account was 5 months ago.

UBB phoned now and they are refused to open the account. UBB bank will not tell why.

She lost 150. UBB keeps the money for security check.

@Anastasija_gust. Have you tried someone of the smaller banks like Texim Bank and Tokuda Bank.   They may be less bureaucratic.  I heard a number of people being able to obtain accounts at these banks.   There's also iBank, TBI and try Post Bank.  Once you have your residency card, you can swap to a larger, more favourable bank.

Ian

Oh my! I see what people mean about fees! I checked DSK bank's fee schedule, as they're who my Bulgarian neighbour banks with and I think if I go in to our local branch with her, I'll have the best chance of opening an account with least hassle. But there are fees for every little thing! Anything I deposit there will be chewed up fast.

Oh my! I see what people mean about fees! I checked DSK bank's fee schedule, as they're who my Bulgarian neighbour banks with and I think if I go in to our local branch with her, I'll have the best chance of opening an account with least hassle. But there are fees for every little thing! Anything I deposit there will be chewed up fast.

-@janemulberry

You must pay 150 for security check

That wasn't listed on the very comprehensive DSK list of fees, Anastasija, which made it clear where fees were different for foreigners compared to what Bulgarians pay. Your friend was charged that by UBB, I think?

They are sure to have some sort of security check at DSK, too. As long as they open the account, I'm happy to pay a fee. But yes, if they just take my money for a security check and account opening and I never hear from them again, I'll be unhappy, too!

My only reason to choose this bank is that I know it's the one my neighbour uses, and I am pretty sure that in a small town branch where she knows everyone, it will be a big help if she vouches for me.

Hi..i bank with Unicredit Bulbank

My card was due to expire this year so took a walk to the bank..they lost on their system..all of my details..so couldnt renew.

I had to re.apply..and by the time the paperwork arrived back from Sofia to Pomorie..they said it would take a week to get a newcard..so had to leave it till next year as i was going back to blighty and couldnt collect it in time..

I had a question to ask..and that was about fees..they told me they charge 4 lev per month for services i have....i told them..not only do we have to not apply for a new card..its sent out 2 weeks before the old one expires..at no cost..plus our banking services are also free...they were a bit shocked..well done Barclays.