Don't insult religion

The latest piece of idiocy to hit the headlines was a place offering free drinks if you name is Muhammad or Maria.
I have no idea who came up with that moronic idea, but only a bloody idiot would think it wasn't going to cause trouble.
The management, I must add, said they had no idea a pointless pillock was about to use the idea and got rid of it as soon as they were made aware. Assuming that's true, they have no blame, but that may not help them all that much.

The upshot is, if you insult religion in Indonesia, you're going to find yourself in trouble.

As Bali is a big expat destination, and might very well be even bigger if the digital nomad rules come into force, I'll include a few links specific to that island.

It really doesn't matter which religion you insult, the result is likely to be uncomfortable for whomever manages to turn their brain off long enough to be that stupid.

Respect works. 1f642.svg
Not only is that monumentally stupid, but it's a violation of article 156a of the Indonesian Criminal Code. 

@Ubudian; besides being stupid, and illegal, it baffles me how unprepared many holiday goers are when traveling abroad, and because of it end up in all kinds of trouble!

You are so right.  One of the most common faux pas I see here in Bali is the patting of Balinese kids on their heads.  If Joe Biden shows up here in Bali for the G20, I hope some staffer fills him on that.  1f60e.svg
From my point of view - it's just rude.

@Fred; well, with the social media nowadays, it seems that whatever boundaries people knew do no longer exist, the masses are fixated on likes and the number of followers.

They put themselves in the spotlight - not likely to end well

Jakarta Revokes Business Permits of 12 Holywings Outlets

Investigations have found they broke a few rules so some branches were closed down

@Fred; everyone in Indonesia could see this coming, except the management of this outfit, definitely not the smartest on the block! ✌🏻

@Fred; everyone in Indonesia could see this coming, except the management of this outfit, definitely not the smartest on the block! ✌🏻

- @bennl

The last quote I saw from the management/owners was they didn't know about it until after it was out there.
They also said they would sanction the people responsible.

I'll leave it up to others to decide if they're being truthful but it's a no win either way:
If they didn't know, it was a spectacular management/supervisory fail
If they did - Well

@Fred; that's a bs statement, as the senior management you are always responsible, it's called taking ownership!!

Open a bar and offer "Free beer for Muslims on Friday lunchtime! "

How to get a long stay permit for Indonesia and a free flight out afterwards!

In jail then deportation (if you survive).
Open a bar and offer "Free beer for Muslims on Friday lunchtime! "

How to get a long stay permit for Indonesia and a free flight out afterwards!

In jail then deportation (if you survive).
- @Nemodot

Welcome to posting on this section 👍
Islam is stronger here than in Malaysia, and that makes your post accurate.
Hi,

I have removed a couple of posts from this thread
Disappointed emoji here.