Bank loans in Indonesia

Hello,

Finances and banking can sometimes be a headache for many expats, especially when it comes to taking out bank loans.

Is it difficult for an expat to get approved for a bank loan in Indonesia?

What are the types of bank loans available for expats (mortgage/bonds; business loans; car loans; personal loans; student loans)?

What are the general conditions for expats to take out bank loans (interest rates; timeframe to repay loans, etc.)?

Which bank in Indonesia is the most popular or accessible for expats regarding loans?

Would you normally require the services of an accounts manager at the bank in order to facilitate the process of taking out a loan? Is this service free of charge?

What would happen in the case of an unpaid loan if you have to repatriate back to your home country or move somewhere else?

Are there any other options for loans aside from the bank in Indonesia, such as taking out a loan from your bank in your home country, or other types of companies not affiliated with banks, that give out loans?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Before you can get a loan, you must hold an account.
Accounts are available to any expat with a KITAS or KITAP, but not to tourists or foreigners on other types of visa.

Bank loans are possible, as are credit cards, by following the banks normal procedures. Most expats have no credit record and only have visas for 12 months so loans will reflect that in most cases.

Vehicles loans are normally arranged by the company using their own supplier, commonly their own finance or a partner company they work with.

Can an expat borrow money to buy a house

lazumba wrote:

Can an expat borrow money to buy a house

Assuming the house is in your name and owned by you - no
Banks won't lend money to engage in illegal activity.

Priscilla I am confused.  Are you an editor or asking tips?  And if you are getting tips.  Where do you publish them?  All I see here is you asking for tips or personal experiences.....  We what tips and facts.  Not to answer questions

FrankJ75 wrote:

Priscilla I am confused.  Are you an editor or asking tips?  And if you are getting tips.  Where do you publish them?  All I see here is you asking for tips or personal experiences.....  We what tips and facts.  Not to answer questions

She is part of the expat team, similar questions will be posted on other groups for other countries,
The answers (correct and incorrect) are the interaction with replies

Frank,

From what I understand, Priscilla is one of this websites moderators and she starts these topics in order to stimulate responses from the members. I believe that the Indonesian Forum has a second layer of moderation whereby if your response provides information that is not 100% accurate then you may find your comments removed. So it is better to provide only responses with information that are totally accurate and that can be supported with proof.

Cheers

The moderator asks questions and then invites expats to give their answers and experiences based on the topic. Everyone has different stories to tell and some help and some don't but that's the point of forum; to share knowledge.
More often than not information shared is only relative to something that has happened to the poster.However there are a good few people here who can share and add useful information and most of the time that is useful and correct.
The forum moderators for Indonesia of which I am one were asked to support the overall team due to experience and time spent in Indonesia but then even our knowledge is limited to the things we see and do but we try where we can to give information that can help or can point someone In the right direction.

I hope that makes things a little clearer.

Loan interest rates can be quite high so be a little careful what you agree to.

https://www.bca.co.id/en/Individu/Saran … sar-Kredit

On the bright side, high rates make deposits more interesting.

One note - most western expats will never need a loan as salaries for them tend to be quite high when compared to locals. That doesn't apply to all by any means, just a generalisation.
The main reasons for loans, houses and cars, don't apply to a lot of expats and their generally higher salaries mean there's little need for many to look at the possibility of borrowing money.
Non-working expats would probably be refused and banks ask for proof of income before agreeing a loan so lower paid expats would have problems anyway.

Expats are unable to apply for a mortgage but their spouse may be able to do so.

Priscilla is doing a terrific job here on Expat.com. I've interacted with her over the years and she shows no personal bias and is very fair and friendly. She is a definite asset to the company and I take my hat off to her. Great job Priscilla! Hoping to see you continue do an excellent job here for many years to come.

Cheers.