Gardening/Planting in Kuwait

Some of you might be missing your gardens back home or just miss greenery and flowers in general :)

A friend of mine informed me about this Facebook group: facebook.com/#!/groups/105583379487375/
Seems interesting!

I've been wondering if I can plant herbs such as mint, basil and thyme indoors as I don't have a balcony and after doing some research, it seems like it's feasible if I place the pots near a window which receives adequate sunlight.

I think with the type of weather we have in Kuwait, it might even be better to plant indoors. I remember placing a plant in my balcony, in my previous apartment, and within a few days, although it was well-watered, the plant was dying probably due to the extreme heat. I'm sure some plants grow well outside but I guess you just have to have a proper garden and a good location with a decent amount of sunlight.

Anyone here have any gardening/planting experiences in Kuwait (whether it's growing plants indoors or outdoors)?

There are many plants that can be grown inside, we have some of them at home, but I don't know their english or arabic names :)

You can get such plants from Al-Rai at fourth ring road (al-mashatel) There are many types.

Basil can be grown easily on the balcony, and it has amazing smell. The most important thing is to always water them. Also they should be watered at night so it wouldn't die because of the excessive heat of water

i bought an aloe vara plant form al rai,its nice to keep one. sometimes i even cut a small piece of it and eat it,many medicines are made out of it,and you need to water it once a week,which i do other wise it starts getting darker and darker due to watering too much.you dont have to take much care for it.

Thanks for the tips!

Hi

Hope you're well and I wish you "Ramadan Kareem"

You would agree that Kuwait has lately seen a big difference in the environment and temperature changes. Pollution is on the rise and the traffic is ever increasing.

Amidst all these, there is a new startup called "Mashatel Kuwait" which is silently working on resolving and connecting young and first-time gardeners with sellers of plants to create awareness of environmental care.

A lot of people are appreciating their work in terms of providing plant care guidelines and consultation. In fact, they also offer free guidance over the call in case you need quick help with your plants.

I would recommend you to check out their app and spread a word so that the younger generation could be motivated enough to gift a plant over temporary articles, plant one for themselves or at least would inculcate some interest in Botany world. It would be a bit we can do for our environment and generations to come.

If you're reading this on your phone, you can get the app from here.

https://apps.mashatelkuwait.com/fba/download

Or it's available on both iOS & Android storefronts with name "Mashatel"

Thank you for taking a minute to read this.

Have a good evening ahead!