Do and don't in Kuwait

Are you living in Kuwait? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Kuwait?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Kuwait?

Thanks!

We have lived in Kuwait the last year (May 07 to May 08).
It's not very hard to live there, but there are a few things you should watch out for.
I've made a list on my website, I hope you don't mind me link there for the people interested, instead of copying it here.

I probably need to put a few more things on that list. Maybe I get around to update next week :)

NicoleB wrote:

I probably need to put a few more things on that list. Maybe I get around to update next week :)

That would be fantastic Nicole :)

*Insert: Shameles self pimping*

Until then you can find it on my website...*snicker*... :)

Some additions that came to my mind:

During Ramadan you are not allowed to either eat or drink anything in public during daytime.
Even as a foreigner!
If the police catches you you might end up with at least a fine.

There was something with not eating with your left hand (I think it was the left), because it is unclean.
But you rarely get to eat with your hands anyway.

Eatting in Public During Ramadan is not allowed due to the Country being of a Muslim Relegion.

Eatting with the left hand thing is not a big deal lol, and muslims in general prefer using the right hand when eatting. why? well the left hand is the hand they use to "wash" with.

You dont have to follow any certain customs though it really isnt a big deal ... just be your self and enjoy your stay! :)

public display of affection is a crime in kuwait.. so if you feel like being affectionate.. do that at home! :D

That is true. if u r unsure then just don't do it. its better safe than sorry ;)

to Expat.com - re do's and dont in Kuwait

some of the tips from my point of view

no boose(drinks)
please do not break signals very strict fines
car accidents , car who hits the bunker is in the wrong no   matter what, belt necessary, no phones, no eating etc while driving
no kissing in public etc

Many more rules if you want any specific ones please ask

Meagan

meagan

it's ok if you eat while driving .. but using the mobile while driving is a problem these days

in ramadan : no opened resturants at day time ...eting in public charges you about 100 kd (300 $ ) or "jail" for less than a month :|

so eat at home is better in the morning to avoid that

the rest :

you are free to wear anything you like .... but swim wear just in hotel's pool or your private place .. not in public beach.

welcome :)

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

During Ramadan:

No eating, drinking OR smoking in public during daytime for anyone.

yes NicoleB .. as i mentioned .. it can cost you much

if police saw you or anyone Traduce about seeing you eating .. then you will be in bad position .. i Suffer in ramadan while peroid time ( the time i should not fasting ramadan ) cause i can't eat outside home :(... i should hide to eat :\

Yes, you mentioned eating.

I am also mentioning 'drinking' (like in drinking water)
and 'smoking' (like in smoking cigarettes).

My last Ramadan experience was in 2007, so I just want to see if the laws have changed.

Plus, some might not be aware that they can't drink water in public during the day at a scorching 48C.

Oh mercy....

yes niki .. any thing .. eating , drinking smoking kissing in public ... in the "daytime"

you can put the car's sunshades

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00YBsaNOTZZEcb/Automatic-Car-Sunshade.jpg

and drink or eat carefully

p.s : why it's forbidden in muslim's countries?

because fasting is Mandatory for adults .. so some times seeing others eating so they eat ... especially for teenagers

so try to keep someting to eat in your purse so when you get hungry you can eat in any private place or your office :)

holdcardsdown wrote:

Everything is a Don't in Kuwait, with the exception of some Do's.... If you have any doubt if a certain act is a "do" or "don't"... there's a 99.9% chance that it's a don't

why do you say that?

you made me saaaaaaad  :(

by the way, if you wana live a happy life you should know the limit of your freedom  & respect other limit too.

as muslim life is not (Desire, fun, and absolute freedom)
So my freedom stop at your's

thank you

NicoleB

in fact i can drink while driving .. and sometimes can see some ppl eating gums .. so eating is the #1 problem :)

kuwaiti girl ...

you are 100% right

How about some information about Ramadan.
For any question do not hesitate I am happy to help.
Ramadan (also written Ramazan, Ramzan, Ramadhan, Ramdan, Ramadaan) is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar.
It is the Islamic month of fasting, in which participating Muslims refrain from eating, drinking, that is in excess or ill-natured; from dawn until sunset.
Fasting is meant to teach the Muslim patience, modesty and spirituality.
Ramadan is a time for Muslims to fast for the sake of God (Arabic: الله‎, trans: Allah) and to offer more prayer than usual. During Ramadan, Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds. As compared to the solar calendar, the dates of Ramadan vary, moving backwards about ten days each year as it is a moving holiday depending on the moon. Ramadan was the month in which the first verses of the Qur'an were said to be revealed to the Islamic Prophet Muhammad.
The most prominent event of this month is fasting. Every day during the month of Ramadan, Muslims around the world get up before dawn to eat Sahur or Sehri or Sahari (meaning "something we eat at Sahar"), then they perform the fajr (or Sobh) prayer. They have to stop eating and drinking before the call for prayer starts until the fourth prayer of the day, Maghrib. Muslims break their fast at Maghrib (at sunset) prayer time with a meal called Iftar. Muslims may continue to eat and drink after the sun has set until the next morning's fajr prayer call. Then the process starts all over.
The act of fasting is said to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the inner soul and free it from harm. It also allows Muslims to practice self-discipline, self-control, sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate; thus encouraging actions of generosity and charity (Zakat).

Thes link will give you more info.
http://www.ezsoftech.com/ramadan/ramadan13.asp

Thank you,,

choco-muchacha wrote:

kuwaiti girl ...

you are 100% right

Thank you dear   :D

Does this type of conversation have its place on Expat.com? Political and religious subjects are delicate and have dedicated forums external to Expat.com! And should not be discussed here!
Thks

@Fee Acer

In this case some of the information and talk about Ramadan is vital.

You can get arrested or fined a high sum, if they catch you doing things you are not supposed to during Ramadan.

Anyone.

"Ana imarati o keifi?"

they say on tv : imarati oo afte5er " .. :)

holdcardsdown ...maybe she mentioned some information about ramadan just for knowledge ..ramadan is coming .. i think many people would like to know about it .. it's just for knowledge i hope

the second thing .. yes i've noticed many things as you did ... the elevator matter .. the parking " in the collage or any where"

all those thing .. i hate them .. even many people agree with me on this .. but you can't fix every one's behaviour .. i talked in my blog so many times about people who park at the Disabled parking .. and tried to talk to people who doing that .. they ignored me like i am a child or " who are you to say?? " and that makes me feel shy of their Behavior :(

about the elevator .. as a muslim single girl .. i can't go inside the elevator when there is a man in there .. sometimes when a guy insert when i'm in there i go out .. as muslim guy .. he should know that this is shamful thing .. but if the guy didn't know that i pick my self out ... but when there is more than a woman inside .. i should let any one come .. and hold it for him if he was walking toward .. that what muslim should do .. and for non muslim to know ,, in case any one argue with .

first i thought you are girl :) ... i got your point and it's long story i talked .. but i'm not that much in english .. you can notice that .. so .. every where there is the bad ppl and the good ppl :) right? all what you said is right and clear even for blind .. but you can show others the way to avoid that from your experience

we are not talking about islam here .. it just about people here as they are muslim and do not act like that with wrong behaviors with others

:)

NicoleB .. yes dear .. be Cautious :)

by the way, if you wana live a happy life you should know the limit of your freedom  & respect other limit too.

i think this is for everyone not for Specific person .. it's like Stimulation for any one .. maybe the Frame was not right
you should said " remember"

that goes on us when we go in other country especially for the first time

NicoleB wrote:

@Fee Acer
In this case some of the information and talk about Ramadan is vital.
You can get arrested or fined a high sum, if they catch you doing things you are not supposed to during Ramadan.
Anyone.

I understand but it may be done by a simple statement saying in one sentence that you're not allowed to smoke, eat or drink in public places during daytime until sundown... no need I think to debate any longer than that on the subject...
Thks

FeeAcer

right .. but she needs to know what could happened if by mistake she broke the rules .. that's all :)

From what I can see the debate is actually going on about the main topic and not about religion.

It is about personal freedoms.

There were other discussions on this board not so long ago where interference of a mod would have been more appropriate.

Just my humble opinion.

holdcardsdown wrote:
kuwaiti girl wrote:

How about some information about Ramadan.
For any question do not hesitate I am happy to help.
Ramadan (also written Ramazan, Ramzan, Ramadhan, Ramdan, Ramadaan) is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar.
It is the Islamic month of fasting, in which participating Muslims refrain from eating, drinking, that is in excess or ill-natured; from dawn until sunset.
Fasting is meant to teach the Muslim patience, modesty and spirituality.
Ramadan is a time for Muslims to fast for the sake of God (Arabic: الله‎, trans: Allah) and to offer more prayer than usual. During Ramadan, Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds. As compared to the solar calendar, the dates of Ramadan vary, moving backwards about ten days each year as it is a moving holiday depending on the moon. Ramadan was the month in which the first verses of the Qur'an were said to be revealed to the Islamic Prophet Muhammad.
The most prominent event of this month is fasting. Every day during the month of Ramadan, Muslims around the world get up before dawn to eat Sahur or Sehri or Sahari (meaning "something we eat at Sahar"), then they perform the fajr (or Sobh) prayer. They have to stop eating and drinking before the call for prayer starts until the fourth prayer of the day, Maghrib. Muslims break their fast at Maghrib (at sunset) prayer time with a meal called Iftar. Muslims may continue to eat and drink after the sun has set until the next morning's fajr prayer call. Then the process starts all over.
The act of fasting is said to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the inner soul and free it from harm. It also allows Muslims to practice self-discipline, self-control, sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate; thus encouraging actions of generosity and charity (Zakat).

Did you really just copy-n-paste from Wikipedia? :D

yes i did, is it a Problem??? :mad::mad::mad:

holdcardsdown wrote:
kuwaiti girl wrote:
holdcardsdown wrote:

Everything is a Don't in Kuwait, with the exception of some Do's.... If you have any doubt if a certain act is a "do" or "don't"... there's a 99.9% chance that it's a don't

why do you say that?

you made me saaaaaaad  :(

as muslim life is not (Desire, fun, and absolute freedom)
So my freedom stop at your's

thank you

I've been to over 25 countries and lived in quite a few. Only here do you see that it's taboo to do this, taboo to do that, etc, people just make fun of everything. I sit with my Kuwaiti friends, and really, all they have to say is "Look at that guy over there, is he really wearing an orange shirt!? LOOOOL" etc, and these are some college grads.

Don't tell me about respecting other people. People here hardly ever apologize for doing something wrong. The nicer I am to people, the more they treat me like shit. When I start talking shit to people, they start knowing their place. When I don't stand up for my rights, they think to themselves "Oh, he's probably bidoon (no nationality), that's why he didn't yell at us"
I was paying my phone bill the other day and when I went back to my car somebody was parked right behind me (blocking me). I waited literally for over half an hour (in the heat). I was even thinking about taking a taxi because I needed to take a nap. A woman starts walking towards the car (SLOWWWWLY), I keep looking at her because I had a feeling she's the one who owned the car. I gave her a friendly look and she didn't even apologize!!!! she gave me a mean mugging look like I did something wrong or some how it's my fault. I swear I felt like just ramming her with my GMC, but then I thought I just needed to chill. :D Before she got in her car, I told her that I was waiting for her for half an hour. SHE didn't say anything back.
Now I look back and think that if I INSULTED HER, then she would have apologized and hurried her ass up, but since I am a wise man and decided to keep my cool... that's what happened

Many people here don't have the courtesy to keep an elevator door open when they're inside and you're walking towards it. They know what they're doing is wrong but don't care.

You might not notice many of the things I notice because you're a girl. People do many nice things to you because people here are so desperate and they need any type of interaction with a female. Me, on the other hand, am "shayif 5air", and I still show people respect.

If you ask somebody who lived here their entire lives they will tell you it's normal, because they got brain-washed into thinking it's normal. Even foreigners start to think it's normal if they've been living here for a long time.

Don't tell me about religion, I don't have time to discuss this right now. However, I will tell you this: The subject I am putting my finger on has nothing to do with religion. The rudeness that I see in Kuwait is only in Kuwait. It's never like that in UAE or Saudi Arabia or Morocco, etc. Have you ever heard somebody in the UAE say "Ana imarati o keifi?" Well people here say ana Kuwaiti o keifi all the time like they're superior people. I am Kuwaiti, but I do believe in human rights and living your life in harmony.

kuwaiti girl,
You make too many assumptions in your post. Your post was very condescending to me. You should know how to pick your words before you start typing. How did you establish that I Needed to respect others freedoms? If you read my post correctly, you should infer that MY own freedom is being held. I am not stopping anybody from doing what they want to do. When you are indecent (such as the woman who blocked my car) then you are holding my freedom, and to top it all off, she had the audacity to act like it's my fault, not hers. How did you establish that I am inconsiderate? Well, if you knew me then you would know that I am one of the most respectful people. Why are you advising me about Islam when I, myself, am Muslim? However, did I mention anything about Islam in my post?

you have a point i do not know you as much as you do not know kuwaiti People.
all i can say sorry if you have a bad time her in kuwait and i really wish to help you.

holdcardsdown :)

you didn't noticed the smiling face at the end !!!

i was kidding (humor!!!).. why  are you angry???

in fact i know what " imarati oo fte5er" means  :) and i like what they doing.. and how they developed them self and their country

"kafi kuwaiti" is a silly sentence .. and silly people say that .. so we do not charge "stupid" people cuase they are not gonna change 

come on holdcardsdown .. are we all that much bad??

=======

niki

There were other discussions on this board not so long ago where interference of a mod would have been more appropriate

right :)i can give you link if you like to know more things about rules in kuwait :)

goodafternoon

holdcardsdown wrote:
choco-muchacha wrote:

You're missing my point. It's like I'm pointing to the moon and you're looking at my finger.

Ok, they say they that, do they say it in a condescending way? Do they mean "Only I am important and everybody else is worthless"? What they say means be proud of who you are, no hubris.

imarati oo afte5er: Be proud of who you are and your heritage and what is becoming of this country in terms of architecture, tourism, etc.
kuwaiti o kaifi: I am Kuwaiti and I can do whatever I want to do. If you are not Kuwaiti, you better get out of my way. You don't know who I AM!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol: I see now why you are annoyed, would you accept my apologies on their behalf.

choco-muchacha wrote:

"Ana imarati o keifi?"

holdcardsdown ...maybe she mentioned some information about ramadan just for knowledge ..ramadan is coming .. i think many people would like to know about it .. it's just for knowledge i hope

yes in deed and it was not for hem only it was for all of us mentioned

thank you :)

choco-muchacha wrote:

i think this is for everyone not for Specific person .. it's like Stimulation for any one .. maybe the Frame was not right
you should said " remember"

that goes on us when we go in other country especially for the first time

that is right and i am sorry for any misunderstood.

:rolleyes:

holdcardsdown wrote:

I'm cool, I didn't mean to be rude or that I disliked anybody here! I was just dropping some facts. :cool: We're all like family in this community. It's not that I think people act the way they do because they want to, it's because they get so accustomed to living here that it becomes difficult to adapt to other cultures when traveling and dealing with people from other places.

And I write long posts not because I'm mad. It's because I can type an outstanding 95 words per minute. :P

Any way , you are  most welcome.

sure we all here a family .. and want to help each other :)   

nikiB

check this out :)

moi

Guys, after reading this topic from the beginning to the end now I really feel scared of Kuwait! Where am I moving to!?

Denizkizi you are moving to the heaven :p

hehehe ,,no honey don't be scared at all .. it was just an argument to clear some points .. and it's ended now :)

maybe because we feel bored in this weather " over 44 degrees" .. so that was just to make you feel like home :) brothers argue come on :p

in fact i wish you being lucky to have good friends once you arrive .. prefare to arrange for that from now .. i mean having friend even on face book what ever, who lived in kuwait .. that would be more helpfull for you

so you are coming in august ?

and what you planing to do when you in kuwait at first .. i mean activities :P

@Deni
You'll be fine here.
Just always remember to look on the bright side of things.

Wherever I've moved so far,Kuwait has been the only place where I right from the start met people 'online' got help & met some of them later in real Life and kept contact with them up to today.

Expats or Kuwaitis.

@choco-muchacha: I will be there next week! :) and I am in for any activities like film&book club, dance classes, photography, sight-seeing activities, etc.
@Nicole B: Bright side of the things... Copy that! Thank you :))

Deniz

wow that is great.. it will be hot wather .. but august is the time for good tanning here:)

by the way our winter is too cold and dry most of the time .. the weather start to be cold at the end of october

any way believe me .. you'll find it so funny and comfortable to live here :) WELCOME SWEETY