Golden visa v D7

Hi we are looking to move over from London to Portugal but not sure which route to follow. We can qualify for the D7 but want to be able to come in and out of the UK with no restrictions. Which process gives you the most freedom to do that.
Also what are the new rules on Golden Visa can you no longer buy in Lisbon or Cascais

Hi Londonfolk,

Which process gives you the most freedom to do that: Golden Visa

The D7 residence permit holder needs to spend at least 6 consecutive or 8 non-consecutive months in Portugal on average per year. Holders of the Golden Visa, only need to spend an average of 7 days in Portugal per year.

If you want to gain Portuguese and EU residency without necessarily moving full time (yet or at all), the Golden Visa is the way to go.

________

I think this is a good article about the portuguese Golden Visa:

Everything about accessing golden visas, including every municipality and parish that will continue to guarantee its concession through real estate purchase (from 1st January 2022):

https://ahouseinlisbon.com/en/everythin … e-purchase

______

D7 OR GOLDEN VISA FOR PORTUGAL—WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE?

https://nomadgate.com/d7-vs-golden-visa-portugal/

Please note: this is an article from Oct 2020 and does not yet include the changes made for 2022.

Kind Regards

Thank you for that helpful information

HOW TO FIND THE BEST REGIONS FOR YOUR PORTUGAL GOLDEN VISA IN 2022

https://nomadgate.com/portugal-real-est … ent-areas/
(Dec 22, 2021)

Again a really interesting piece of information

Can you clarify what it means by 8 non-consecutive months. Does this mean I can go in and out of Portugal into the UK for example as long as it's not over 3 months in a year?
My intention is to live permanently in the UK but I do want the freedom to visit family when I wish

The time you can be outside of Portugal is not per year. It's per the valid period of the residence permit.

The initial permit, called the temporary residence permit, has a 2 year valid period. Subsequent residence permits have 3 year valid periods.

Time Period:

- Years 1 and 2

Minimum Stay in Portugal: 6 consecutive months or 8 non-consecutive months each year.
I.e in these 2 years, you must stay at least 6 months consecutively yeach year,
    OR
    a total of 16 months (= 8 months × 2 years ) if you come and go whenever you want;

Renewal Date: End of Year 2
Available Renewal Option: 3-year Residency Permit

- Years 3, 4 and 5

Minimum Stay in Portugal: 6 consecutive months or 8 non-consecutive months each year.
I.e in these 3 years, you must stay at least 6 months consecutively yeach year,
     OR
     a total of 24 months (= 8 months × 3 years ) if you come and go whenever you want;

Renewal Date: End of Year 5
Available Renewal Option: 3-year Residency Permit, Permanent Residency or Citizenship

Thank you for explaining so clearly I get it now

I ran a webinar on this before the GV rule changes aimed at people who were moving, and have done an update but not sure if the team have posted it...hopefully this helps

https://youtu.be/QY3o_z9WbpM

Can you clarify what "year" means for the residency requirement? Is it calendar year or is it as of the start of your residency in Portugal. In other words, if you start your residence in August for example, is year defined as of the date your start in August for the next 12 months? Thank you for your help; this thread is very useful.
Hi Snyderwf, Welcome :)

The Golden visa, D7 visa and others start on the day SEF approves your request.

Regarding Golden Visa:

RESIDENCE PERMIT FOR INVESTMENT PURPOSES (ARI/Golden Visa)

The Residence Permit for Investment Activity (ARI) programme allows foreign citizens to obtain a permit to live and work in Portugal through an investment, thus being exempt from the residence visa. The visa holders must stay in Portugal for at least 7 days in the first year and 14 days in the following years.

To apply for this visa, citizens must make a required pre-registration online at the ARI Portal:

Best Regards
@snyderwf year in Portugal always refers to calendar or fiscal year, which are one and the same.

For a special status such as the NHR, it is important to ensure that enough days are spent in country in a single tax year, to qualify
I now have my date for the D7 interview in London but I'm a bit confused. I am not ready to move until October/November of this year but if I have my interview at the end of me in London and then let's suppose I get accepted and have my passport stamped with a Visa by the middle of July do I have to go to Portugal for four months whilst I wait for my SEF interview.

I understand I'm allowed to leave a couple of times in those four months but the less I leave and less time I spend out of Portugal is better I guess.

Then I have to move once the SEF have accepted me. My concern is that I don't want to move to Portugal middle of July or end of July I want to move in October but am I obliged to move over once I have the D7 Visa stamped in my passport?

I hope this question is understandable
Hi londonfolk,

You haven't had the consulate interview yet, and you don't know when the interview at SEF will be... it's difficult to set deadlines without anything specific. When you have your interview at the consulate in London, you can ask that question. But you don't need to be in Portugal for 4 months before your SEF interview. As a UK citizen, you are authorised to stay in Portugal for a maximum total of 90 days, without a visa, during any six month period.

Maybe this video will help you:

(minute 4:40)

@londonfolk you do not have to move immediately but you do have to attend the SEF appointment. In fact, many people plan such that their start date is around 60 days after their consular appointment. The biggest challenge you will face is that if you try to move forward the date of your rental contract, you will find that the property is probably not available or will be much more expensive for a summer start.

Thank you for your reply and for explaining that.

For the D7 interview do we need to have a one year rental agreement already in place to show them which means I'd have to find something right now!

Or can I have a rental agreement which starts in a couple of months for the 12 months.
You need to have an annual rental agreement but its start date can be in the future, a reasonable time away. In some countries, 6 months are accepted and just last week a client told us that Washington DC had confirmed in writing that 6 months were acceptable and another client has his visa approved with a hotel booking!

The rule is that while there is a rule, there seem to be constant exceptions and inconsistencies. Best to ask the consulate for confirmation in writing of what they will accept.
Thank you. I hope that the London consulate reply quickly