Carte de sejour

Happy new year all.
Is there anyone here from U.K who has experienced obtaining a carte de sejour for retirees?
I specifically mention U.K as I believe different countries have different requirements.
Everywhere I look I get conflicting information.

I believe that I need
A criminal record check issued from U.K
Several passport photo's. Unclear on how many.
Proof of accommodation so I guess deeds for my property will suffice.
Birth certificate - not sure
Bank statements for my Moroccan account but no idea what amount of money is required to be in it.
Bank statements from the U.K as proof of a regular income.
I certificate of some sort from a local doctor.

If anyone can confirm this I would be eternally grateful. I don't want to turn up with the wrong documents.
Thank you so much in advance

I just received mine, this is what I submitted:

1. Residency Application

2. Copy of Passport
*Must have both entry stamp photocopied

3. Criminal History from Country of Origin

4. Rental Contract

5. Attestation de non exercise professionnel
Statement that you will not work in Morocco

6. Moroccan Bank Account
With atleast 100,000 MAD

7. Moroccan Health Evaluation Form from any local clinic

8. 6 Passport sized Photos

Many thanks for your reply. Very useful information and I really appreciate it.
Good luck with your new life

Thanks, you as well.

Inshallah, I'll apply for residency later this year. Is there a different procedure for someone applying for residency if married to Moroccan national? Also, my wife has a Moroccan bank account with more than $100,000 MAD from inheritance. Can I use her account to establish bank account requirement? My wife and I really want to decrease her bank amount below $10, 000 USD, because you've to file FBAR in USA. Do you really have to have Moroccan bank account with at least $100,000 MAD or can you show proof of retirement income or bank statement to show you've certain amount of USD? We are planning to buy our own home/apartment in Morocco, but will stay with family until we do so. Thanks for your help!

Yahya411 wrote:

Inshallah, I'll apply for residency later this year. Is there a different procedure for someone applying for residency if married to Moroccan national? Also, my wife has a Moroccan bank account with more than $100,000 MAD from inheritance. Can I use her account to establish bank account requirement? My wife and I really want to decrease her bank amount below $10, 000 USD, because you've to file FBAR in USA. Do you really have to have Moroccan bank account with at least $100,000 MAD or can you show proof of retirement income or bank statement to show you've certain amount of USD? We are planning to buy our own home/apartment in Morocco, but will stay with family until we do so. Thanks for your help!

Hi with marriage you apply for family residency. And show your marriage document accept bank account balance can be less. Not sure exactly how much but I've never been asked for a balance of that amount On a family residency application

You can check with the local police for clarity. Just have to show you can afford to live in morocco I used to show my overseas account and local account

Yahya411 wrote:

Good afternoon Yahya411

In order to obtain your residency through marriage, since your wife is a Moroccan citizen, it will be fairly simple.

If you were married in the USA, as my husband and I were, you will have to first legalized your marriage in Morocco. We did it here, in Morocco so we needed first an apostille of our US marriage and submit all our paperwork to the tribunal.

Once we got the official Moroccan paper of our marriage, the process of getting my residency only took one month.

Since my husband and I do not work here, we still work in the US 5 months of the year, they did ask copy of his bank account from Morocco, they also asked us his last 3 bank statement.  I signed a waiver that my husband was supporting me, that I did not plan to work in Morocco, so yes, you can use her bank account, she will have to show that she can support you in Morocco.

I am not certain you can use a US bank account or your retirement income if this income does not arrive in a Moroccan bank.

The paperwork we had to submit:

-Legalized marriage in Morocco

-Certificate of residency for my husband and I, done here in Morocco

-Criminal record for me (for the first card, for the country of your citizenship)

-proof of residency, in our case, my husband owns his home, so his “titre foncier”

-Medical certificate (just a doctor visit here).

-Copy of my passport pages, legalized

-Waiver from my husband saying he was supporting me and that I was living in his house, legalized

-Waiver from me saying I did not plan to work in Morocco, legalized

At least 3 copies of all documents and a lot of pictures! I think it was 8 pictures.

As far as the FBAR is concerned, I believe it is for propriety you own outside the US, not bank accounts, perhaps I am mistaking. We pay our taxes on our income in the USA only, for what we own in Morocco, we pay only in Morocco…

Voila

Best of luck

Thanks for your reply. We got our Islamic marriage license certified by the Moroccan consulate many years ago in USA, before we went to Morocco for the first time, so we wouldn't have issues when traveling and staying at hotels. So, got that done. As for FBAR, you got it backwards. It applies only to USA citizens with more than $10,000 USD combined in foreign banks. Property is excluded. Well, I'm pretty sure my wife will not sign anything that she will support me. She has no income. I've supported her since we have been married. I'm retired now, so income comes from bank and my brokerage accounts until I turn 59 1/2 later this year to have access to my retirement account. So, it seems I'll have to get background check and health check.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-bu … ounts-fbar

Please go to link above or Google FBAR. Penalties are severe if not filed.

Look at this FBAR link for individuals.

https://www.fincen.gov/report-foreign-b … l-accounts

You're missing the point. This has nothing to do with paying US taxes or being doubled taxed which it's not. You've to prove to US Government that you're not hiding money, embezzling money or contributing to a terrorist's group. If you transfer money into any foreign bank account and your US citizen and the conversion rate of all money summed together from foreign accounts exceeds $10,000 USD at 1 given time, you must file FBAR. Like I'd mentioned, penalties are severe including being deported if not natural born citizen or give up your US citizenship. You need to read through the last link. That's why it's part of Financial Crimes and Enforcement Network. I can tell you this, Morocco started sending Bank information to US Government 2 years ago. Hopefully, your husband isn't hiding this from you. Morocco bank should have sent him W9 (if I recall correctly) form to send back.

It appears you didn't read my comments and comprehend them or FBAR Financial Crimes Enforcement Network site. Everything I've said is true. This is serious business. FBAR has nothing to do with taxes. You'll NOT pay US taxes on those foreign bank accounts. The US just wants to know if you've foreign bank accounts greater than $10,000 USD after exchange rate conversion rate. Property and land is excluded from FBAR, so I don't know why you brought that up again. If you have less than $10,000 USD during the year in foreign bank account, you don't have to file FBAR. I didn't like it either when I'd found out about FBAR for my wife. My ancestors founded the USA and were in USA before George Washington was born and USA was a Nation. They fought along side President George Washington in Revolutionary War, so I'm proud American.

I've been coming to Morocco since 1998 almost every year or every other year before Covid, so I do know Morocco. When I'd married my wife , I'd married Morocco. By the way, President Obama started the FBAR back up, not Trump. 3 years ago, Morocco started giving out bank info (for US citizens) which it never did before, so now the US Gov knows. Just letting you know.

This comment "that you're not hiding money, embezzling money or contributing to a terrorist's group" has nothing to do with Morocco, but the person themselves in regards to FBAR Financial Crimes Enforcement Network site Mission statement.  https://www.fincen.gov/about/mission You've missed- understood everything.

Why do you seem so angry? I'm telling you the facts about FBAR. If you or your husband at any time during the year had more than $10,000 USD after converting from MAD and don't file FBAR, you're taking a huge RISK! I'm trying to inform you and help you on this.

We are planning on living in Marrakech where my wife's family from part time during best months (not the hot and cold months), since I've retired this year. Covid not helping with travel restrictions that just got lifted in Morocco that we had to change travel plans. We already have tickets to travel after Ramadan. Also, we have adult children in college, so I'd worked as long as I could to make sure we have enough money to pay for everything including place in Morocco for the rest of our life. All praise and thanks to Allah. Allah made us millionaires, so we can travel to and from Morocco and give Zakat to poor Moroccan people.

Praise Allah!

Come visit us, will cook a proper “Poulet Citron Confit” . My wife is Moroccan. We eat this on regular basis plus other Moroccan favorites. I've to agree, it tastes better in Morocco, because everything is fresh. I'm familiar with high Atlas. We go to Ourika for a day every time we visit Morocco to get away from the heat of Marrakesh in Summer. My wife's aunt was a school teacher in Ourika; she retired last year. Ourika is getting too crowded in the Summer time now. My wife's brother was head Principle in the Ouarzazate area. He retired a few years ago. He lives in Agouim now.

I have removed a few off topic posts from this thread, after they got reported by the community.

As this thread is going nowhere I prefer closing it

Have a good day,

Julien

Closed