Marriage in Agaid

Hi everyone.

I am hoping to marry me fiance this June in Agadir and perhaps in the future even settle there. I live in the UK currently. I was wondering if anyone had been through the marriage procedure. Can you not get married if you do not have a job as that is one of the documents required? I am currently a student but I do earn a studentship so that is a form of income. I'm worried that i won't be accepted? Anyone had any similar experiences.

Regards

Hi awz1 !

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi I think they require a job to show you can support your wife.
If you don't have one, you can just make one to be honest.

Contact me if you need more information, be aware it can take upto a year..

First; You must accept Islam and become a Muslim to Marry in Morocco.
I was Married in Morocco in 2011. I am an American and my wife is with me now in Montana USA. I do not know about the immigration policies of the UK BUT the USA is a nightmare times 10 after 9/11.
The Official Documents required is unimaginable . Everything about your life will be required. E-mails to your fiancee , your Taxes,
Job, Letters from Friends, Police Records, Background Checks,
ect,ect, Not to mention that you will have to pay cash under the table to every Moroccan official and their Cusins to get the proper seals and stamps on her offocial paper work in Morocco
Plan of spending $2,000. roughly, just in Morocco.
I would advise you to try for a Fiancee' Visa first. It is faster and a little easier.
Also, I should warn you. There are too many stories of People who Married Moroccans and the Fiancee never arrived at the Airport after leaving Morocco. I do not know how long or how you met this Girl but know this. I have been to Morocco twice. After the exotic wonder of the country wares off you will find that Morocco is a prison Country for 90% of the population living there. For most people there, there is no opportunity,no future, no jobs, no help form the government and no chance to leave. I for one knowing what I know would do anything to anyone to get out of Morocco.
Stephen.

Hello,

I am married to a Moroccan man, and we were married here in Marrakech. I can tell you what I went through, you must remember it will be basically the same, but the UK will have a slightly different.

I assume your fianée is a Moroccan Woman, because they don't allow 2 non-Moroccans to legally marry each other here in Morocco. It is true that as a man, and if you are not already a Muslim, you must convert to Islam to marry a Muslim woman legally here in Morocco. That is simple enough, I am sure you will have no problem getting this done, and you probably should get it done before you leave the UK and bring that certificate with you. It will save you a little drama and money than doing it the Adul here.

I suggest you read the topic "Getting Married in Morocco" :
I am an American Woman so this is slanted a little towards this fact. This is what my consulate told me. I have given this information a few times so I am sorry if it sounds a bit canned.

The Expat should bring these papers from their home country:
Make official legalized copies(Moroccan stamps are only good for 3 months), and then have them officially/legally  translated into Arabic

* police background check (FBI Report-works for USA)
* birth certificate (they wont return it)so again I say - make a copy and have it legalized as a copy in morocco.
* Certificate of Previous employment stating dates worked and annual salary (if the Expat has worked; if the Expat has not ever worked - don't bring it)****I used my tax return forms for my last job
* divorce certificate (if Expat was divorced)
THE COURT ORDERED DIVORCE DECREE IS NOT ENOUGH! (USA - it must be an officially issued Certificate of Divorce)
The papers that you have to get from (USA) Consulate General (USA- is in Casablanca morocco you will have to make an appointment prior to going- NO WALK-INS):
* Certificate(s) of nationality/eligibility for marriage: there maybe a fee (USA - I think it cost me around $150 OR take with you 1300 dirhams - they take both currencies)
* An official copy of the passport with the date of entry to Morocco (USA - I think it cost me around $50 OR 425 dirhams)

these papers you can preparer in morocco with your fiancé and it's easy:

* Four photographs each of you & your fiancée
* (For the Expat) Criminal record from the Ministry of Justice in Morocco-go to Rabat (take passport and stamp of 10 dirhams  and the Expat must go in person to the Ministry of Justice in Rabat located behind the parliament (that will take just 30 minutes to get this paper)
* (for the Moroccan citizen) Criminal record  from all locations ever lived in Morocco or internationally (Check with the prefecture d' Police for exact requirements)
* (For both people) Certificate of Religion(Expat woman - bring a formal letter from a clergy on their official letter head letter stating she is in good standing of membership and a  member of a recognized Faith in God "Jew, Christian, Muslim" is good enough) OR convert and have one from an Adul here; All men must be Muslim OR convert IF marring a Muslim woman from anywhere.
* A medical certificate for both people (in Arabic)  cost 200 dirhams each. Must be done in Morocco at any general practitioner doctor.

The papers that the Moroccan citizen should preparer !!!

* Administrative certificate relating to approved of the fiancé ( bring it from  if he doesn't know the name tell him (Certificate of celibacy); OR Divorce records; OR Death certificate of former spouse; OR(If a married MAN) He must provide an official affidavit(s) from his CURRENT wife/wives that she is aware of his plans to marry ANOTHER wife and is in agreement. NOTE: not all countries recognize marriages with multiple partners (USA: This is not legally recognized as a valid form of marriage and cannot be use for legal purposes or immigration)
* (For Moroccans)Complete copy of the birth chart(from the father's family book)

***Finally you need to translate all papers into Arabic***

Please don't assume this is a complete list of the requirements. there may be other requirements. Expect the unexpected!

for other nationality they can check this topic :
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=145465

AND!!! Consult the Expat's Consulate for further specific requirements from the Expats home country.

You may need to include courtesy small bribes for some Moroccan agency workers to do their job. Although these are not legal, it does no good to complain, as this will only slow the process down, just pay it!I am sure you already know, it is an unpleasant Moroccan tradition among government workers.

I hope this helps.
Feel free to contact me if you need other advice.
I wish you all the happiness

The police record in Rabat will take upto 2 weeks now.
As there are so many people from Africa trying to apply for residency permits etc.

hello please I read your reply and I need help I am Moroccan and my BF is from south caroline, USA and he got a criminal record (he has been in prison for almost 14 years) and we want to know if we can get married here in Morocco or if we can get married in some other country...