Living in Melbourne on $500 per week

Hello all.

Am considering moving to Melbourne and with the job that I'm looking at, I'd only have about $500 a week to live on, excluding rent (would really be $3,000 a month).  Is this a practical figure seeing as I'm a single 33 year old guy that would want to be able to go out and have a laugh?

Hi all,

I'm in a similar situation, considering to move to Australia, Melbourne if possible.

I have a lot of info found on internet about apartments and houses to rent (cost, bonds, other expenses like gas and energy bills), car expenses and other expenses (grocery, clothing, ...)

I have an accurate idea about salaries including base plus package, but I don't have any idea about how to calculate Taxes, I've been looking over internet and there are several web pages containing tax calculation information but are very complex for me.

Do you know if there is any "easy" way to know the percentage of tax deduction on salaries?

Regards,

Hi,

I live in Melbourne (im originally from Sydney)...
You can go to www.ato.gov.au - this website tells you all you need to know about taxes etc....

Cheers :)

Hi Limarose,

Yes, in the government site you can find a useful tax calculator, taxes for non residents are really high and there are not any tax deductions other than private healthcare, Taxes in Australia really increase the cost of living and the withhold reduce the salary significantly.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Hi
We are french couple of engineer. We spent 8 months in melbourne last year and we would like to come back and find a job. Someone has some idea to help us to find somethinG?

Hi Cada,

Best website to find a job in Melb is www.seek.com.au. I was actually thinking of moving to France for a year...

You can send me a private msg and I can help with your inquiries...I live in Melb (and have been for the last 3yrs)..

Cheers
Limarose

learning-to-fly wrote:

Hello all.

Am considering moving to Melbourne and with the job that I'm looking at, I'd only have about $500 a week to live on, excluding rent (would really be $3,000 a month).  Is this a practical figure seeing as I'm a single 33 year old guy that would want to be able to go out and have a laugh?

mmmmm...you'll starve on 3000 a month mate !

you can click this link to estimate how much tax you need to pay, based on my estimation, without include the child bonus deduction, etc, annual incoming around 80K will pay 18K tax, that is huge

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/conte … 50&mfp=001

also, make sure you know that world wide income will be liable for tax, for example , sell out property, and have capitcal gain, share dividends, etc.,....

Hello all

My husband's employer plans to send him to Melbourne with a salary of 85 000 AUD + a car + a one bedroom apartment (400 AUD p/w), do you think it would enough to have a good quality of life there? A small precision, we are a couple and at the begging I do not think I'm going to work because my level of English is not very good!
Cheers,

learning-to-fly wrote:

Hello all.

You could live off that and still have a good time. $500 a week desposible income is pretty good and could make a few dents in the Melbourne's bar scene I reckon!

if that is your after-tax, after-rent, after-utilities, after-everything allowance per week, you're in pretty good shape. you'll be able to hit the pubs not on a daily basis but often enough for you to have a great time.

yadygnan wrote:

Hello all

My husband's employer plans to send him to Melbourne with a salary of 85 000 AUD + a car + a one bedroom apartment (400 AUD p/w), do you think it would enough to have a good quality of life there? A small precision, we are a couple and at the begging I do not think I'm going to work because my level of English is not very good!
Cheers,

you'll survive easy on that

hi guys,

i am Amran from singapore and i and my wife be moving to Melbourne in 4 days time.
i been trying to find a rented house in Ringwood area but no luck.

can anyone advice me on this please :)