Melbourne or Hobart???

Hi Everyone!

I am a Canadian from Vancouver BC and my boyfriend (from France) and we are thinking moving to Australia. We are thinking of moving to Melbourne ( my first choice) OR Hobart (his first choice).

Our decision is mostly dependent on where I can find a Marketing/ Advertising job. Any advice on finding a marketing job in Melbourne? or in Hobart?  We both do not know a single soul down there, so any advice will be great.

I cant seem to find any job( marketing) listings online for Hobart.  What is the most popular site employers post job opportunities on?

Any additional comments on Melbourne/ Hobart living would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Friendly and warm regards from Canada,

Tay

Hi Tay,

I've been on holidays, a couple of months, in both places.
I've been the last year looking for a job in Australia, there are a lot of job offers in Melbourne, only a few ones are willing to sponsorship but I haven't found any offer in Hobart.

If you like wilderness and you love leisure and forests Hobart is a good place to live, but if you prefer shopping, theater and city to live, Melbourne would be the best choice, in my opinion.

Jesus,

Hi Tay,

The most popular site is seek. I would also have a look at Hobarts newspapers online as they advertise alot of the jobs there. In regards to Melbourne again seek would probably be where most of the jobs are advertised. Just remember also if you live in Melbourne Hobart is only an hours flight or you can take the Ferry overnight with your car soin the end you can have the best of both worlds. Victoria also has some wonderful wildlife spots and great old forests.

Hope I have been of some help.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Tay,

Definitely Melbourne! If you like the mountains, the forest, the beach, all of these are just a driving (1-3hrs) distance from Melbourne. If you are in Hobart and you crave for theatre, concerts, racing, shopping, festivals, etc, then you have to fly to Melbourne or take the ferry (approx 8hrs one way).

In terms of job opportunities, there's definitely more in Melbourne. Think bigger city, more industries, more people, more jobs.

Popular search engines are seek.com, mycareer.com, jobs.com. Based on my experience, all of them work. Through searches, I noticed that bigger companies advertise on all of them anyway. And most of the time, the employers let a third party (career centres) do the appraising for them.

Cost of living in Melbourne is higher than Hobart, but then again, salary packages in Melbourne are higher as well. So it just evens out.