Coming to Melbourne

Hi Can Any body out there help in telling me what are good place to live in Melbourne near to the Monash Hospital in Clayton. My wife has a job there and we are all upping sticks and moving over for a couple of years, and if we like it hope fully staying.
Also what are the work prospects like for joiners/carpenters. Cheers Carl

Hi Carl,

I am assuming you would like to live somewhere close to your wife's work place?

St Kilda is a popular place for people 'not from Melbourne'. But it is also a fun place to live. There are a lot of bars, good places to eat, Luna Park, beach etc. Although the area can be more expensive.

I would recommend to avoid anywhere between Springvale and Dandenong. These areas have some of the highest crime rates, and would not give you the best impressions of Melbourne.

It depends on what kind of lifestyle you would like?
If you give me more of an idea, I can hopefully give you more suggestions!

As for your question with work, I am sorry, I don't know much about this. But if you have experiance etc, I do not imagine it being all that hard.

Hope this was a little helpful!

I don't know much about the area of the city you're asking about. But personally I would say avoid St Kilda, it's not close to your wife's work, and as mentioned previously it's popular with people not from Melbourne. In most of the bars there you'll meet mostly English people. Not to knock my homeland but if you want a pub full of Englishmen why travel this far!

As a carpenter mate you'll be fine. I'm looking for plumbing work at the min and searching through trades jobs I'm quite frankly sick of seeing ad after ad for carpenters, and few for plumbers. Bad for me, but should be very good for you mate! Plus most houses here are timber and with loads of new estates going up on the outskirts there's plenty of work for you there too