Possibly moving to Dakar..is it dangerous?

Hi everyone.

I'm an American living in Paris and have an opportunity to relocate to Dakar for work.  I can speak some French but I'm not fluent yet.

I've never been to Africa but I'm hesitant to go to Dakar.  Is it safe in Dakar? I hear pickpocketing is rampant but is mugging also?  If I move there will I always be in constant fear of being harassed by vendors and being mugged, pick pocketed?

Some insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi there!

IŽve been to Dakar 12 times and IŽve lived there too. ItŽs true that street vendors - and even other people - might harasse you but IŽve never heard of any mugging in Senegal. If you use their crowded collective transport you might be pickpocketed, but I think is the same level of risk youŽd run in the underground in London, Paris or Madrid in rush hour. Senegalese people are friendly and pacific, and even if that does not mean you must trust them blindly (for they will certainly try to take advantage of you one way or another ) you will not at all be in danger in Senegal, if you behave within normal parameters of sensibility ( respect their traditions and uses, keep yourself away from non recommendable places, especially at certain hours, be selective who you deal with...) You can also contact the American Embassy, IŽm sure theŽll provide you with useful information about it all and may help you get in touch with other Americans residing in the area.