Heat Required

After visiting in July, we are definitely moving to Belize. As we evaluate what household goods to bring along an AC unit is on the list. My question to those residing there. Do you ever find yourselves in need of heat?

Re: Heating and Cooling

You can buy split AC units here at any hardware/building supply store, and they are considered better than the "in-window" type. If you purchase an existing home, it may already be installed.

The same goes for space heaters, which you might only need for about one week each year. But it is nice to have one (or 2) when the morning temps drop below 60F!

Others might have opinions about quality or brands. My only opinion on that is that Lasko fans (just for a nice breeze) seem to hold up way better than any others.

Thank you so much for the reply. Our intent is to purchase a Mennonite home and have it fully insulated. @400sq a window unit should do but I'm not a HVAC person so please advise if you think otherwise. I can purchase a 20000 BTU unit here for under $600 and hopefully bring it under QRP. If occasional heat is required perhaps a PTAC would be an option and they're about $1600. What's the cost of the units you noted? And from your comment I assume these spit units are cooling only? THANKS again.

We have an old school Mennonite home 2-1, 480 sq feet in Placencia. Has wood shutters in all windows. We spend winters and a couple of other months in it during 2-4 trips yearly. Three years ago I had an LG 2-part wall mounted AC unit installed in the bedroom we sleep in. Far better, far less noise than a window unit.

Our place is as far from uninsulated as you can get. Cost from AL Construction in Mya Beach was about $600 US, installed. No heater, but a remote control.  For the 5-6 days it got cold enough  at night one year, we used a $50 portable heater I bought at the local hardware store.