Bang for the Buck

Hello, Frank and Cristiana here and wanting to know where to stay for a couple of weeks to check out Belize as a future home.
A decent and centralized Air B & B would be great just for a couple of weeks while looking around.
We have a 2-5 year plan to move from Canada. 
We need recommendations as to where to look for a long-term rental house and which areas are good and which ones are not and so on?
We're 62 and 60 and are nearing the age of retirement.  We think that this is a good start in working towards that goal.
We'd love to hear from other ex-pats to see what type of timeline we need to work with?
Thank you all in advance for any/all comments and advice.
Frank and Cristiana from Canada

Hi Frank and Cristiana,
I have recently traveled to Belize twice in the past 3 months doing scouting trips for my future retirement.  I am now in the process of buying property.  First if you don't already have a realtor, I would recommend Raymond Shepard.  He toured my friends and me around Belize for several days.  We stayed in Belize City so we could be near the airport and also have easy access for day trips to Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker.  Raymond toured us from Belize City to Placencia, with many stops in between.  We went to Spanish Lookout to check out Mennonite house builders.  We ended up buying land in the rainforest where we are going to build cabins for vacation and vacation rentals.  Raymond has helped us every step of the way.  For the first trip, we stayed at Harbour View Boutique Hotel and Yoga in Belize City for 1 week.  We enjoyed it very much.  The following trip we stayed at the Raddison for 1 week because we were traveling with our teenage kids who loved the pool and the gym.  Radisson also has a bakery where we bought coffee and local pastries every morning.  The onsite restaurant was also very convenient. Those 2 hotels are practically next to each other.  As for a long term rental, Raymond has just finished building a cabin that you might be able to rent.
Good luck!  Margaret

Hi Margaret

Thank you for getting back to us.
This cabin sounds great. We will definitely contact him.

Thanks again
Frank & Cristiana

My 2 cents: find an AirB&B online, rent for 4-8 weeks, take some trips around the country, rent in areas you think you might like & live as you would if you lived here. Don't be in a hurry to buy, check out what you want. I knew I didn't want to be where all the neighbors were expats, I live in a small town, locals all around me, got here right before the country locked down & my neighbors have been wonderful!  Gas is expensive, the local Market for fresh veg/fruit is not. Electric is okay, water is cheap. Ask for referrals for work you want done, employ the local kids for yard work. I rented for a month, went back, sold everything & bought a house 4 houses away from where I rented. Love it here.

Hi.
Thanks for getting back to us.
What part of Belize do you reside?
How long have you been there?

Thanks
Frank &  Cristiana

I've lived in Santa Elena, Cayo District since January 2020. I live off the main road, on a dirt road, near the edge of town. Very local, but it's what I wanted. Yes, when the rains come having the roads be slick, pot holes all over, small “streams” running down them is a pain, but I drive a truck, plan my trips according to the daily/hourly weather forecast & don't have to water my garden most of the year! When life gets more “normal” I will take some 4-6 day long trips to various parts of the country just to get a different vibe. But for now, we've started taking once a month day trips. Right now there is not a lot to do in Belize with the restrictions so plan accordingly when you come to visit. Know you will have time to just be wherever you are staying. I came for a month & pretended I lived here. It worked, now I do. 😎

Frank and Cristiana,
My 2 cents (Canadian 😉)
For your first trip, split your time between inland and coastal areas.
Rent a vehicle and explore. Walk through different neighbourhoods. Check out grocery shopping, clinics/hospitals, availability of internet and other  services.
Determine if you want to be near the sea, or inland. The closer you are to the water, the more expensive it is.
Do you want village life or be a bit more removed?
Will you want a vehicle or prefer to walk or cycle?
Lots to consider!
Don't be discouraged if you can't decide after one trip. If you'll be renting for longer term in the future, rent for a few months in each District.
Each District is very different. From climate, to culture, food to availability of resources/shopping.
Don't rush. Some things take time in Belize 😉
Enjoy your planning!

This is all very good information, thank you!  Can anyone also recommend the best method to transfer/exchange money? 
Also, any recommendations for hiring an attorney to file for residency or is it easy enough for one to do it themselves?

Thank you, Margaret

we appreciate this very much!

Maybe we'll hook up for a coffee when we get there someday!

Have a wonderful time with your travels and the information is very appreciated!

Frank and Cristiana
Ontario Canada

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response. We plan on having either a golf cart or e-trikes/bikes. We may ponder on bringing our small car. We were used to going to Venezuela prior to their horrible changes, years ago. We like to live where the locals do and we don't like typical "cookie-cutter" homes or condos. We would rather rent a home long-term and then see if our interest is in a purchase or just keep long-term renting.  We're 60 and 60 and have a couple or so years before age of retirement, however, that being said, we could work around the retirement issue and still rent long-term with coming back and forth to Canada. We have to see how long we have to stay out of the Country before re-entering. Small technicalities. Anyways, thank you very kindly for the information, we appreciate it very much!

Safe journeys and maybe  one day we can all meet for a coffee/tea

Cristiana and Frank
Ontario Canada

Hello Brigitte,

Thank you so much for the information. It is extremely valuable and has many things to consider. We wouldn't be looking by the Ocean because it is indeed more expensive, plus with living inland, it's more secure in lieu of rain/hurricane season and so on. We would plan on having a vehicle of some sort or e-bike/trike, golf cart, our small car. We are the types that like to live amongst others, be it locals or other expats or both. The odd time we like to go out for dinner or lunch. We like walking, pools, the ocean, open markets for produce and groceries, supermarkets, and so on. We believe in shopping local and living amongst locals and getting to know various cultures. Belize was suggested to us by my sister many years ago. It looks as though the real estate companies are pushing sales? We don't know if we want to ever purchase, or just want to rent somewhere we can call home and never have to worry about anything. Maybe we can all hook up for a coffee/tea when we get there.

Take care and thanks again,
Cristiana and Frank
Ontario Canada

Christina & Frank,
Use a debit/credit card, withdraw cash at an ATM as needed on a travel card with no foreign fee charge. Getting a bank account is a paperwork process best left til you move here.

Many AirB&B do long term rental, all have discounts for longer stays & utilities are included, I'd start there for a rental.

Residency involves staying in the country for a year with no more than 14 days outside Belize. It is possible to do yourself, all forms are online & there are directions to do. It is a process.

Ali

Thank you Ali!  Appreciate the insights.

I heard that San Ignacio floods a lot.  Is that what you are referring to?

I heard that San Ignacio floods a lot.  Is that what you are referring to?

We had major flooding down by the river last year in November with the back to back south of us hurricanes. The rivers do overflow so living on the banks is a risk, proper drainage is a must, we clear our ditches regularly in our neighborhood so during a rainstorm the water is directed away from homes.

First, I suggest watching videos on YouTube. There's a lot of information that can be gathered there on both pros and cons of living in Belize. I have property near Sarteneja on the Corozal Bay and paid a very low price for ocean front property, BUT it's boat access only and you'd have to be off-grid. Expect to pay more in the gated communities. Sarteneja is a tiny fishing village near Corozal. The Corozal area attracts a lot of expats in gated communities, especially in Consejo. Mexico is nearby for doctors and big box stores that are not in Belize. Also, look up Orchid Bay where you can stay in a vacation rental while you check out their community. They might even pick you up at the airport. Some prefer San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, which is touristy and expensive, but beautiful with a lot of restaurants and stores. Caye Caulker is our favorite island and is a smaller, quieter version of San Pedro. Slower pace and prices are lower, but on the rise. If you decide to visit Caye Caulker, look up Amanda's Place and then contact Landy Tang, a realtor we dealt with there while looking at properties. Placencia to the south also has a large expat community. For the cheapest prices, head to the western part of Belize, such as Santa Elena.

Keep in mind that there are no fast food chains or big box stores in Belize. I suggest taking several trips, as we did, to narrow your choices. Stay away from Belize City unless you're on your way from the airport to a water taxi. Do not flask your money or jewelry.

The difference in climate varies greatly in Belizr, depending on where you are. Corozal is the driest and Spanish is the prevalent language, although almost everyone speaks English. Santa Elena in the west can get a lot of rain, but temperatures are cooler in the mountains and prices are low to medium. Placencia is hotter and wetter and gets more rain than the north. It's quiet there unless the cruise ships are in port, then it can be over-crowded. There are many places in between all these locations, all varying in comfort levels, prices and stores.

Once you pin down a location, get to know some expats in that area. I found they are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences and all I had to do was walk up and ask. Belize has crime. It's a third world country, so don't expect to see a mini version of Florida. Luxuries do exist, but you will pay for those luxuries. We adore Belize and can't wait to start our retirement in about five years, give or take.

Sincerely,
Jeannette

love this site am enjoying all the shared information, thank you, everyone, great suggestions .
I hope to get to Belize soon and explore, would like to plan on a reasonable purchase of property to escape during cold weather.
I am a British subject but live in America, green card permanent resident. hope covid and travel restrictions will all be over soon.