Dating and finding love as an expat in Belize

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in Belize?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in Belize?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Belize?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Belize?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

As a male from US, Europe, or Canada getting involved with a local girl/woman will, more often than not, get you involved with her whole extended family.
This is fine on some levels as far as getting to know more people and being invited to events etc.
However, true or not, you will be viewed as a wealthy gringo and that extended family will look to you for "loans", help with medical bills, "my pick up needs a new transmissiom" etc etc. It will prove to be endless, once srarted. If you don't want to get into this type of arrangement, keep it casual, real casual.
This is not ment to be totally negative, it's just a heads up for new arrivals. I have many friends who have married here and  are quite happy. Others thought they were being taken advantage of.
Like anything else, keep your eyes and ears open.

Cultural differences or not,  any experience will involve happiness on all sides.  Personally I don't search.  If you click with someone,  it's all good.  Life is good here in Belize.  I'm enjoying every minute.

Greetings from San Pedro.....

I am a Canadian, mainly from Prince Edward Island on the east coast of Canada where I was born.....now on an island on the east coast of Belize....main difference is here we have 12 months of sunshine and beach weather!

Now into my 21st year full time in Belize.....Citizen since 2008...have experienced a lot....worked as an Exec Chef in a jungle resort....lived with a local gal and her 2 kids in Belize City where I set up/ran a food business for over 3 years until one of her girlfriends told me my gal had a "sweetheart" on the side so I packed up and left...moved to San Pedro.

Aside from other comments where expats seem to be required to assist the whole Belizean family....sweethearts are also a common problem here! The girlfriend who squealed on my gal having a sweetheart did so as I rejected her offer to be MY sweetheart a year earlier.....so I have remained "unattached" since 2005 when I moved to San Pedro....opened Coral Beach Realty and later Belize Titles Processing Ltd.... Am often referred to as "barefoot Bob" as I never wear shoes here.....back on PEI as a kid during summers...I ran barefoot ALL the time except for Church...had to wear shoes to Church....barefoot...I feel like a kid again! 

Am available for any questions you may have re almost any topic on Belize...have gained some local knowledge over 21 years here!.....email me "[link moderated]"

Hahaaa Belize is ripe for picking if your a foreigner looking for a partner. Sex tourism is rife due to poverty as in other countries. Its a mans world. If your a woman looking for romance it equally goes. Men from here rarely have one partner and have wandering eyes. However if your an old guy you will get woman to take care of you till you die. In return you take of her and her family financially. Older women can get a toy boy no problem, just take care of them financially.

@Coral Beach this is great insight! I'm a 35 yr old Canadian girl looking into moving to Belize full time. Is the expat to expat dating scene manageable? I would love to hear your perspective on that!
I would be moving there on my own once I am approved on a remote work policy. Excited about the adventure to come and hoping to meet new friends and possibly a partner to share Belize life with :)

@Coral Beach Excellent comments, and a heads-up for all...thank you!

@mangoman

"Sex tourism is rife due to poverty as in other countries."

A nice way of putting it.  😁😊😄

Keep in mind, especially if one does not fluently speak the language of the new partner, overnight one might find themselves housing/supporting an entire extended  family, including allegedly ex-partners. 🤣 

@Coral Beach Hi, Bob.  I am Rebecca and I live in North Carolina.  I have to move out of my rental house here by November 15th, and I keep thinking about Belize for some reason.  I'm brand new to this app, and was hoping to get some advice as to where to go and how to make some friends so I don't feel all alone.  I thought it would be good to just try it out first.  If you can help advise me, let me know.  Thanks.

@mangoman
Too true!  We have a local village elder to look after our land - I think he has about 13 kids from 13 different women - no joke.  He is constantly moving around when he scorns another mate.  Wears me out just thinking about it 🙃

Hi all, an expat lady from Northern California here.

In my experience, having a few conversations with Belizean men would be perceived as "courting". Mind you, we're not talking about our futures, none of them have declared an interest in dating me, matter of fact, one said they were not looking for anything serious (even though I never asked).

As for the culture here, It's not typical for men and women to engage in conversation. Heck, a woman who shakes a man's hand is seen as flirtatious. Hahaha!

@Coral Beach

Hello

I'm Genzie from Winslow Arkansas.   I stayed in San Pedro for almost a month and I love it anywhere in that location.

My email is [link moderated]

Thanks!

@Coral Beach

Moderated by Bhavna 2 months ago
Reason : Email
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@genzigirl

Hello and welcome,

Please note that contact details should be sent through private message. Click on any member's photo/avatar to send him a message.

That said, it's been 2 years already since Coral beach was last active on the website.

Regards

Bhavna