Salt Water

Hello Friends,

I bought an oceanfront villa which came with a borewell. The water is very salty and rusting all faucets and broke the laundry washer. Any filtration system that I can hook up to the well before it goes into the under ground tank? The plumber I spoke to was trying to rip me off asking for $5k plus.

Appreciate help.

Welcome to the forums!

Is it the salt in the water that broke your washer? Well water, in general, tends to be harder with lots of minerals and even some heavy metals. A whole house water softener and/or descaler should be much cheaper than that and fairly easy to install.

The rusting of the faucets is likely due to high humidity. Most of the fixtures I've seen here have been cheap chrome that just cannot withstand the salty humid air.

Oceanfront has its problems.... Tv's, etc will erode more quickly
All appliances for that matter.

Not too much can be done.... it's in the air

Sounds like you will need to install a small reverse osmosis plant. These can be found here in DR.

Also your well pump, assuming it is submersible, will corrode if it is not specifically for salt water.

Try this company:

https://pureaqua.com/reverse-osmosis-wa … -republic/

Thank you, let me call them.

I changed all the faucets in less than a year with stainless steel. Let's see how long they will last.

The grade of stainless steel is key to whether it corrodes or not. You probably need 316 grade stainless steel for salt water.

I'd love to hear the brand/type/grade of stainless steel you have in now and how it holds up! We have started buying for our home (under construction) and have tried to get high-quality faucets that will last!