Homesteading, Rural Living, Off-grid Living, Permaculture

Hello,
I am an experienced homesteader / subsistance farmer, fluent in Spanish (currently living in Spain) and thinking of moving to Mexico.

If you are similarly living off the land, in a rural area, I would appreciate to know about your experience.
Would you recommend to me a region to consider that is especially CULTURALLY and ENVIRONMENTALLY suitable for this purpose (people helping each other, with rather low pollution of land and water)?  I especially look for areas away from large and concentrated commercial farms, high population and industries, tourist areas and the coasts - so somewhere in the interior plateau or hilly areas which is not too hot or humid.
Regards
P.S. I am familiar with some of the land ownership issues in Mexico including the Ejidos.

Looking for rental about 5 months, from Aug 15th. Arrived July 15th   assume I must return to US by January 15th. Hope I can come right back, I am tourist learning mode.
Puerto Vallarta is like a tropical New York City. It is way too crowded for me. As BePeppery, I seek simple sustainable living. Not a high-rise condo.
Not sure if I can achieve full-time residency, but would like to. Learning Spanish is a serious goal, but need rental near market first. I guess taxi access, as I am without a vehicle. Or where do I find a "driver" as needed?
Airbnb has many offerings but I am confused on what location to seek. Any help out there for this female senior?

Hope you can find something soon! We are between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, but also looking for a better place to look for a place where we can get a more sustainable way of living, and way out of the crowd.
We move in taxis, as we work from home and don't need to go to the town everyday, it's cheaper than renting a car.

I've been told that Tulum is ridiculously expensive ... ??
Seems in Mexico that eco village listings are nonresponsive or appear to be gated communities with a marketing label.
With so much framing here, they are surely out there, but no luck so far.
with appreciation, old lady from Hawaii looking for freedom.

NY population is about 8,258,214.  PV is about 300,000.  No comparing the two.  PV does have high rise hotels and apartments , but mostly on the water.  It is also about safety and living in Mexico.  That should be a concern.  PV is one of the safest cities in Mexico.  However several of my friends that do not live in a gated community have been broken into.  You get away in the hills, you run the risk of running into a cartel training ground.  Sounds like you might like the towns just 45 minutes North called Sayulita or San Pancho aka San Francisco.  I have lived in Marina Vallarta for 8 years.  I drive all the time to grocery shop or other errands in town.  I alway have my phone in case of an accident or something just goes really crazy I can immediately call my husband for help.  I would not feel good about going an hour away into the mountains as that is just plane silly and scary.  YouTube cartel training grounds Talpa de Allende and you might better understand.  The bus system is very reliable here an can easily take a bus from the airport to either of the 2 towns I mentioned

Hello, would you be interested in Malaga? I am looking for people to live rent free on my land to start a Permaculture farm.

New Mexico?
Or do you have the location in Mexico, Central America?

I am a Certified Aquaponics Designer and was interested in starting a farm in Mexico myself.
I currently live in the U.S. but am looking to make a move in the near future.