Fact or wishful thinking.

A friend in Phnom Penh has heard that when 70% of people in Cambodia, and it is suggested by September, are vaccinated, that the country may open to tourism starting in siem reap in November with a week long festival at Angkor wat, I understand that all the shop keepers outside the main entrance have gone,but, new shops will be built, if anyone knows let me know as I have my air fare saved up and my suitcase packed. Ah kun.

Why don't you stop stirring the pot based on bartalks, hearsay and more nonsense.

No way is there a plan and no way 70% of the population will be vaccinated in September.

The situation now is 20%.

Joe

Thats a bit harsh, Joe. An article in Khmer Times on 24 May this year was about preparing to welcome back tourists in Q4. It stated that tourists who have been vaccinated will probably have their quarantine period waived or reduced. So the signs are there , but right, no-one is talking about 70% vaccination for the local population, although there is a big drive on now. I am due to get mine next week, along with most barangs I know here in Siem Reap. My khmer friends have already been vaccinated.

Since when is a newspaper a reliable source of correct information?

If you want to know about figures, cases, deaths you should ask the townhall of the Provincial government.

On top I guess the OP didn't hear the gossip 2 months ago but recently.

With 1000 cases a day there is no possibility of relaxing the rules this year. Early next year is more realistic.

Cheers

Joe

Back to the Khmer Times.
Just saw another article today about  some upmarket local Phnom Penh hotels participating in the ASQ quarantine programme and giving their email & website details for bookings.

However…there's No indication of when this will happen.   The way the article is written , you'd think it was happening now.

Maybe these articles are thrown up every now & then to keep prospective travellers on the hook & hoping they don't spend their leisure dollars elsewhere.

I've sent them an email asking for a time frame of when they expect this to happen.
I'm in Vietnam now , and a lot of expats have left due to Visa issues .   

As a few of you would know , Vietnam does not have a retirement visa.  So unless your interested in running around marrying people , looking for a job , or Investing $150k in a business …..your out of luck for a long term stay.

Interesting times ……if I get a reply on that email ,,,,I'll post the details.

Retiring in Vietnam was easy before Covid. Get a 3 month visit visa, extend for another 3 months by a quick border run to Moc Bai, 3 hours on the bus from HCM. There and back in one day.  Many retired expats in places like Vung Tau and Nha Trang did that for years. Bit tricky now the border is closed though.

Well , that was quick
A very prompt , detailed & courteous reply from the Sokha Hotel.

They're all ready to go….just need the green flag for the borders to open,,OR if the client can get a Visa thru an Embassy & a flight , they're ready.

Very reasonable terms also.

hdgh29 wrote:

Retiring in Vietnam was easy before Covid. Get a 3 month visit visa, extend for another 3 months by a quick border run to Moc Bai, 3 hours on the bus from HCM. There and back in one day.  Many retired expats in places like Vung Tau and Nha Trang did that for years. Bit tricky now the border is closed though.

Like I said in a previous post,,unless you fit into certain categories…eg, obedient worker, husband or sink $150k into a money pit “Investor visa “……Vietnam doesn't allow long term stays.

Cambodia would have one of the best long term retirement visa options around &  renewals  once a year within country .   Once a person knows they've got security of tenure in a place , so long as you keep your nose clean & don't attract trouble , you can live a good life.

Before covid Vietnam was talking about 1 year visa now no , but some mis information about being married in Vietnam will not help your status, I understand you can't stay longer even if married, I stayed in Saigon 18 months never leaving , but it got expensive, hopefully after pandemic, like Hugh  said it's very easy to live in Vietnam, the border run for me is a needed excuse to go traveling