AWD Car needed in Montenegro?

Hello everyone!
For those of you who have been living and traveling in Montenegro for a while, I hope you can answer this question. We will be moving there this August and we also like to travel to the mountains and ski as well. Will we need an AWD vehicle for traveling to the snow? Any other suggestions on vehicles to buy?

Also, are there reputable used car sales lots in Podgorica? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've never driven in Montenegro, but have driven plenty in the snow, ice and mountains elsewhere in the world (Northern Norway, Alps, Rockies).

If you're going to stick to roads in the snow and ice, then AWD is perfectly fine.  If you intend to go offroad, or in places where the snow is deep, then consider a 4WD.  As to types, for an AWD, practically all manufacturers offer AWD options of many standard family cars, so you can use them at home.  Subaru is currently impressing with their new model Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, and Legacy.  I previously drove a Skoda Kodiaq which was an impressive AWD car and prior to that, I drove a lot of different Landrover 4WD vehicles; all are worthy of consideration, it really depends on how much comfort and driveability you want.

I should add, that prior to AWD, most of us managed perfectly well with 2-wheel drive cars.  You may find a front-wheel drive easier to manage than a rear-wheel drive.  Most modern cars have ABS braking systems that will help you manage your skidding.  The best advice is to try and get some type of lessons in snow and ice driving; most countries with that kind of climate will have something organised by their national motoring associations (and the ones I did were lots of fun).

Hi there! I spent the entire winter in MNE, and no, you don't need an AWD/4WD car to drive across the country, you'll only need winter tires.
If you plan to do secondary roads you'll definitely need a 4x4