Car import and registration

I am planning to relocate in Montenegro, I am from Greece but currently I am living in Malta.
The thing is that I am planning to come by my car (that has maltese plates), and then after I will obtain my residence card, to register my car in Montenegro with local plates.
The problem is that I can't find any information regarding this. Even the name of the authority that is responsible for vehicle registration I can't find. Can you advice me?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Michael,
I have just seen your post about bringing your car to Montenegro. If you get your residency  card  you can apply to get your car registered  with Montenegro  number plates.you mentioned  in your enquiry  about where you can do this.
If you go to the MUP office it is the same office where you will be applying  for your residency  card .These offices are in the main towns in Montenegro  for example  Herceg novi,  Budva , Podgorica,Bar .They deal with car registration and temporary  residency issues so you need to find out where is the nearest office to your town in Montenegro. Before you get your car registered  and you have your temporary  residents  card you will need to go to one of the insurance  companies in Montenegro and they will arrange to get your car checked at one of the test centres and they might also be able to tell you about taxes  to be paid for importing the car.It will take you a few weeks to get your residency  card if you have all the correct paperwork and when you have your residency  card  you will need to bring it with you to the car insurance  company  when you are applying  to register your car.I hope this is some help to you.

What about a car from USA? I'm relocating to montenegro and bring my car with me. Will I have any issue registering it?

I suggest you keep them on US plates, if you are a US citizen. Plenty of people driving with those plates around the country.

Does this also apply to UK plates?

Hey there,

Thanks for taking time to answer.

I currently live in Podgorica. I bought a car from a friend and didnt change the owner's name since i didnt want to pay any extras and it was all cool for both sides.
Now the registration expired and gotta do the paperwork by myself. :(

For technical checks, some say they paid 30, some paid 50 and some didnt pay any since they have a contact. Do you have any ideas roughly on how much the costs would be like?

+ for the registration, i'll go with this friend from whom I bought the car, and i'm guessing it will be sorted. However, I've read some comments saying notary authorization is enough and I dont have to pay for the name transfer. Is there anyone who sorted it this way?

Whats more, my company is registered in Budva, my plate is Niksic and I live in Podgorica.. All messed up like in cheap  movies. :/ So is it any possible to give me some official/government websites so that I could at least check the laws or related stuff?

I don't want to trust people with contacts as I've already been there and get ripped off enough in the last 2 years. :)

Thanks very much  :cheers:

kumbor wrote:

Hi Michael,
I have just seen your post about bringing your car to Montenegro. If you get your residency  card  you can apply to get your car registered  with Montenegro  number plates.you mentioned  in your enquiry  about where you can do this.
If you go to the MUP office it is the same office where you will be applying  for your residency  card .These offices are in the main towns in Montenegro  for example  Herceg novi,  Budva , Podgorica,Bar .They deal with car registration and temporary  residency issues so you need to find out where is the nearest office to your town in Montenegro. Before you get your car registered  and you have your temporary  residents  card you will need to go to one of the insurance  companies in Montenegro and they will arrange to get your car checked at one of the test centres and they might also be able to tell you about taxes  to be paid for importing the car.It will take you a few weeks to get your residency  card if you have all the correct paperwork and when you have your residency  card  you will need to bring it with you to the car insurance  company  when you are applying  to register your car.I hope this is some help to you.

I had wanted to ship my car to Montenegro from the US but got so many red flags from everywhere I tried to get info while in the country until I just decided to sell the car and buy one there. I have to put it in my wife's name until I gain residency anyway so I figured it was easier to just buy one there.

I presume you have   temporary residency card.
If i were you i would go to any car insurance company in Podgorica where you are living and ask them the cost of changing ownership,they will be able to calculate the tax that you will have to pay to make the change of ownership .
As you already said in your question your are aware that you will have to have agreement at notary office and you may also require translation for this agreement with the person you bought the car from.